Jim Williams is a Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement associate in Mayer Brown's Washington DC office. Jim’s practice focuses on representing companies that offer various consumer financial products and services. He regularly works on matters involving student loans and education finance, mortgage lending, auto lending, loan servicing, fair lending, military lending, debt relief services, fintech, and payment systems and products.
Jim has experience counseling clients on compliance with federal and state consumer finance laws as well as performing regulatory reviews of prospective target companies. He also represents financial institutions in connection with government investigations and enforcement actions.
Before joining the firm, Jim was an associate at another international law firm where his practice focused on the regulation and structuring of complex derivatives. During law school, Jim interned with the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission. He also participated in the Harrison Affordable Housing Transactions Clinic at Georgetown Law.
- Represented large national banks, regional banks, mortgage lenders, and other consumer financial service providers in U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and state regulatory investigations and enforcement actions involving fair lending, credit reporting, FHA loans, and unfair, deceptive, and abusive acts and practices (UDAAPs).
- Represented large investment banks and insurance companies in performing regulatory compliance reviews of student lenders, mortgage lenders, auto lenders, companies offering debt relief services, fintech companies, and both primary and backup servicers, among other financial institutions.
- Performed 50-state reviews of military lending, mortgage lending, and licensing laws applicable to a broad range of financial institutions.
- Assisted with the creation of a fintech company and the development of its regulatory compliance program.
- Advised a major global financial institution on a broad range of regulatory issues in connection with its prepaid card and emerging payments business.
Franklin and Marshall College, BA, magna cum laude
Georgetown University Law Center, JD
- District of Columbia
- New York
- American Bar Association