"decisive and accurate" and "provides simple explanations of very complex matters"Legal 500 2015
Nigel White is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Banking & Finance group. He acts for banks, financial institutions, other lenders and borrowers on a wide range of structured international finance transactions.
Nigel's practice is focused on secured international and domestic finance transactions with a particular emphasis on structured real estate investment and development finance (both origination and subsequent distribution) fund financing, debt portfolio acquisition/disposal and leveraged finance.
Nigel regularly acts on the acquisition and disposal of performing and non performing/distressed debt portfolios (both whole loan and tranched facilities). Whilst traditional distribution channels, such as syndication and securitisation, remain restricted and with the increase in default situations this has been an attractive transaction structure for lenders with a desire to reduce balance sheet exposure in certain sectors.
He joined Mayer Brown in 1991 and was named partner in 1996.
- Advised Natixis and BNP Paribas on the refinancing of Data4.
- Led the finance team advising a leading US private equity fund on its bid to acquire a portfolio of performing and non-performing UK commercial real estate loans with an aggregate principal balance exceeding £2.5bn.
- Advised a major Italian bank on the financing of prime residential central London real estate assets for various trusts on behalf of ultra high net worth individuals.
- Advised a US financial institution as lender on the financing of Oaktree's acquisition of a portfolio of non-performing German commercial real estate loans from Commerzbank (known as Project Sun) with an aggregate principal balance exceeding €770m.
- Led the team advising the agent/lenders on the £70m financing of Cerberus' acquisition of the Clyde Shopping Centre from Helical Bar.
- Advised a US financial institution as lender on the financing of Lone Star's acquisition of a portfolio of real estate loans (Project Churchill) from Aviva.
- Advised in relation to various financings made available by European Investment Bank to Imperial Innovations group.
- Advised a German bank on the secured financing of the headquarters of the National Crime Agency.
- Led the team advising a leading US private equity fund on the structuring and £250m financing of its acquisition of a portfolio of UK residential real estate assets.
- Acting for an international financial institution on the development financing provided to US private equity funds for development and refinancing of assets in The City of London.
- Advising Lloyds Banking Group on the provision of development and investment facilities to fund the construction of (and subsequent investment into) commercial office headquarters at Chiswick Park.
- Advising a US investment bank on the financing of the acquisition of a major French publishing group structured by way of separate loans/tranches to avoid financial assistance/corporate benefit issues (ultimately secured over French real estate assets).
- Acting for Persimmon plc on its financing of various acquisitions, private placement issuances and covenant resetting arrangements.
- Advising Brookfield on the financing aspects of the purchase of Gazeley, a developer of logistics warehouses and distribution parks in locations across the UK, Western Europe and China.
- Advising US investment bank on investment and development facilities in Germany and the United Kingdom.
- Acting for Nationwide Building Society on numerous real estate finance transactions in England and Wales, Germany, and France.
- Advising on tax-efficient structures on investment finance transactions (including the use of JPUT structures, Islamic compliant structures and other arrangements to optimise tax savings).
- Acting for the agent and security trustee on facilities to refinance the acquisition and initial transaction costs for The Shard of Glass development.
- Acting for The Royal Bank of Scotland plc on various real estate finance transactions (particularly in the leisure sector), such as facilities for Aspinalls Clubs, Soho House and Extreme Cool Ski Slopes.
- Advised a US financial institution as lender on the financing of Cerberus' acquisition of a loan portfolio (approximate unpaid principal balance of £1bn) known as Project Carlisle from Nationwide Building Society.
- Advising Arminius Funds as lender on the restructuring and acquisition of a controlling equity stake in a German commercial real estate asset portfolio structure (market value of approximately €1 billion).
- Acting for BNP Paribas on the provision of finance to the Goodman European Business Park fund for the refinancing and development of Business Parks in France and Germany.
- Advising US and UK banks in relation to subscription credit facilities and associated security over the capital contributions from investors to real estate investment and other funds.
- Advising Ashkenazy Acquisition Corporation on the financing aspects of the purchase of Old Spitalfields Market, London for £105 million.
The College of Law, Guildford
University of Leicester, LLB
- England and Wales
- Nigel White and Andrew Hepner lead the "very strong" team at Mayer Brown International LLP, which clients praise for its "level of responsiveness and the quality of its advice". (Legal 500 2018).
- Recommended (Legal 500 2017).
- "intelligent and experienced" (Legal 500 2016).
- Nigel is ranked as a key individual for "portfolio acquisition, development and structured finance" (Chambers UK 2015).
- "decisive and accurate" and "provides simple explanations of very complex matters" (Legal 500 2015).
- "good business acumen" (Legal 500 2014).
- "very experienced," with a "very thorough and deep understanding of the market" (Chambers UK 2014).
- Ranked as a key individual in real estate finance law, "Practice Head Nigel White is considered to be 'very personable and commercial'. His expertise spans debt acquisition work, restructurings and structured real estate finance transactions, for both lenders and borrowers" (Chambers UK 2013).
- The Real Estate Finance team at Mayer Brown is "attentive and responsive, and has a strong team from associate to partner"; Nigel "puts his clients first, works to tight deadlines, and achieves results" and is referred to as a "secured lending specialist" (Legal 500 2013).
- He "knows the market inside out" (Legal 500 2012).
- Ranked as a key individual, he is "a pivotal contact in the banking and finance team and is repeatedly praised by sources for his 'commercial approach'" (Chambers UK 2012).
- He has "a good understanding of the ins and outs of the banking market" (Chambers UK 2011).
- Nigel has been ranked as a "leading individual" in property finance and acknowledged as delivering "clear and detailed advice" and providing "in-depth and detailed knowledge".