"client-centric and savvy"Legal 500 2018
James West is a partner in the Private Equity practice of the London office. He advises on a wide range of matters including venture and development capital, mid-market buyouts, corporate M&A as well as working with both investors and management teams on buy-and-build strategies.
His client base includes private equity firms, hedge funds, management teams, joint ventures and both institutional and minority investors. In addition, James regularly acts on both the buy and sell-side of transactions.
Note: This list includes matters that were not handled at Mayer Brown.
- Advised Vitruvian Partners on its acquisition of, and acquisition financing in relation to, Travel Counsellors, a UK based travel agents network.
- Advised Halifax Group, a leading US based mid-market private equity firm, on the sale of the Pirtek Europe to PNC Riverarch Capital, a US-based private equity firm. Pirtek Europe is the leading on-site provider of hydraulic hose replacement and associated services across Europe.
- Advised Vitruvian Partners and its portfolio company JAC Travel on its sale to Australian-listed travel company Webjet Limited for £200 million.
- Advised Aurelius Equity Opportunities, the equity investment entity of Aurelius Group, the pan-European asset manager, on the acquisition of leading UK online photo retailer Wex Photographic.
- Advised H.I.G Capital, a leading global private equity investment firm, and the management team, on the sale of Fibercore Limited, a world leader in the design and manufacture of specialty optical fiber, to Humanetics Innovative Solutions, Inc., a portfolio company of Golden Gate Capital, the private equity firm based in San Francisco.
- Advised the main shareholders of OpenCloud Limited, which included private equity funds Advent Venture Partners, the New Zealand Venture Fund and Nokia, on its sale to Metaswitch Networks Limited, a leading cloud native communications software company.
- Advised Vitruvian Partners on the $215 million acquisition of OAG Aviation Holdings Limited, a global leader in aviation information and intelligence, from AXIO Data Group Limited.
- Advised a US pharmaceuticals group and French pharmaceuticals company on the disposal of their joint venture business to a Swiss buyer.
- Advised private equity house Vitruvian Partners on its acquisition of TotalStay Group.
- Advised private equity house FTV Capital on its investment in UK financial services integrated technology platform True Potential.
- Advised private equity house CBPE Capital on its acquisition of a majority stake in Compre Limited, an independent run-off insurance specialist.
- Advised BlueBay Asset Management on corporate aspects of its financing of Tracscare.
- Advised private equity fund Virgin Green Fund on its investment in Virgin Pure, a producer and distributor of water purifiers.
- Advised Virgin Media Group in respect of it acquisition by Liberty Global for $23.3bn.
- Advised private equity firm AEA Investors in respect of their acquisition of the Dematic Group.
- Advised Goldman Sachs private equity in respect of their portfolio company MRC Global and its acquisition of the Fcx Transmark Group of companies.
Nottingham Law School, LPC
University of Manchester, LLB
- England and Wales
- Notable practitioner (IFLR 1000 2019 – Private Equity).
- "client-centric and savvy" (Legal 500 2018).