"surely one of the brightest lawyers in London"Legal 500 2014
As one of the most senior partners in our London Banking & Finance team, Stephen Walsh continues to advise a broad range of clients in many types of financings and other transactions. As well as a renewed emphasis on real estate and general corporate financing, his recent work includes restructurings, support for our growing debt capital markets practice and the establishment of complex collateralised structures in a range of different contexts, including in matters for pension and insurance clients. He heads our London Banking & Finance Opinions Committee and in that capacity frequently provides advice on securitisation, derivatives, project finance and other deals.
Consistently ranked as a key individual by Chambers, Stephen is "'surely one of the brightest lawyers in London'" notes Legal 500 2014; he is "one of the best" (2011). Clients say Stephen is "excellent for the complex transactions" and appreciate that his "proactive advice covers both the legal viewpoint and the practical aspects" remarks Chambers & Partners UK Directory 2009. He "offers clear and detailed advice and has in-depth and detailed knowledge" notes Legal 500, 2008. He has been called "bright and capable" as well as "technically skilled" (UK Legal 500 2006) and praised as a "top-drawer lawyer technically, who takes time to get underneath the structure of the deal and make sure it really works" (UK Chambers 2008). Stephen has been a member of the London office since 1983.
- Ashkenazy Acquisition Corporation on the financing of the purchase of Old Spitalfields Market, London for £105 million.
- Tribeca Holdings on the financing of the purchase of 431 – 451 Oxford Street, London for £127 million.
- Tristan Capital Partners, London-based real estate investment management company, on the financing of its purchase of the Project Tree Portfolio for circa £153 million through its European Property Investors Special Opportunities 3 fund (EPISO 3).
- The super senior lenders and security trustee in relation to the restructuring and refinancing of an acquisition finance facility and high yield bond provided to acquire the Ideal Standard Group.
- Barclays Bank plc on its collateralised commercial paper financing programme.
- The Kingdom of Morocco on note offerings totalling over $2 billion.
- The trustee board of the Total UK Pensions Plan on the collateral arrangements securing the insurance of £1.6 billion of pension liabilities by Pensions Insurance Corporation.
- A major European bank in structuring and implementing a sale of a portfolio of life policies supported by a longevity swap.
- Special servicers on the restructuring of CMBS transactions.
University of Oxford, BCL
University of Oxford, BA
- England and Wales