Sen (Alex) Wang is a middle level associate in Mayer Brown’s Chicago office and a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice. Alex is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States recognized by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Alex has litigated on behalf of domestic and foreign clients of all sizes, on both offensive and defensive sides, in the federal district courts, the International Trade Commission (ITC), and post-grant proceedings before the US Patent and Trademark Office. Alex also advises clients on various transactional matters involving intellectual property, technology, and data privacy issues.
Alex’s litigation experience encompasses the full cycle of IP litigation from pre-suit investigation to trial and post-trial briefing and everything in between. Alex has hands-on experience crafting pleadings and written discovery, managing document production and review, conducting product inspections, preparing expert reports, taking and defending depositions of fact and expert witnesses, drafting various dispositive and non-dispositive motions and briefs, presenting oral arguments in front of judges, and examining witnesses at trial. Enabled by his engineering training in mechanical design, manufacturing, and automation, Alex has a quick grasp on a wide range of technologies and has litigated patents covering mechanical, electrical, and software arts in various industries, including 4G/5G telecommunications, wireless mesh network, Internet of Things, consumer electronics, medical device, clinical lab automation systems, electronic cigarettes, and motion furniture.
Besides litigating patent disputes, Alex has experience evaluating clients’ products and providing freedom-to-operate opinions. Early in his career, Alex also prosecuted patent applications protecting technologies such as drug-eluting stents, patient monitoring and drug titration system, commercial deep fryer, industrial filters, freight tie-down devices, and high-pressure hydraulic valves.
Alex’s transactional practice includes providing IP/IT/Privacy support in mergers and acquisitions and advising clients on IP-focused standalone deals.
Alex maintains an active pro bono practice. Alex currently works with the Children’s Law Center in Washington, DC and also represents other non-profits engaged via Mayer Brown’s pro bono program. Before moving to Washington, DC, Alex served as a mentor for students at the Legal Prep Charter Academy in Chicago and was a regular volunteer at the Chicago Chinatown Pro Bono Clinic.
Born and raised in mainland China, Alex is a native mandarin speaker and received his graduate and undergraduate degrees from Peking University Law School and Harbin Institute of Technology. Alex holds the Legal Professional Qualification Certificate issued by the Chinese Ministry of Justice.
- Representing a leading Chinese laser projector manufacturer as the plaintiff in an inventorship dispute (E.D. Va.).
- Defending a mixed group of US and Chinese entities in a patent infringement dispute involving motion furniture (M.D.N.C.).
- Represented a leading Japanese consumer electronics manufacture as the plaintiff in a patent infringement dispute involving smartphones and tablets (E.D. Tex.).
- Represented a leading US domestic outdoor furniture manufacturer as the complainant in a Section 337 investigation (ITC).
- Defended a leading Chinese active optical cable manufacturer in a Section 337 investigation (ITC).
- Defended one of the largest privately held medical device manufacturers in a multi-patent infringement dispute involving hemostatic clips brought by a direct competitor (D. Del. & PTAB).
- Defended a Fortune 500 corporation in a patent infringement dispute involving more than a dozen patents covering electronic cigarettes brought by a direct competitor (M.D.N.C. & PTAB).
- Defended a Japanese corporation and its US subsidiary in a patent infringement dispute involving clinical lab automation software and hardware brought by a direct competitor (N.D. Ill.).
University of Minnesota Law School, JD
Managing Editor, Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology
Peking University Law School, Juris Master, Intellectual Property Law Certificate
Harbin Institute of Technology, BEng, Mechanical Design, Manufacturing, and Automation
- District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals