Cleland Welton is counsel in Mayer Brown’s Supreme Court & Appellate practice, resident in the New York office. Cleland is an experienced litigator focused on briefing and argument in appellate courts across the United States, including the US Supreme Court. Cleland has briefed dozens of federal and state appeals covering subject-matter areas as diverse as patent law, contracts, insurance, arbitration, business torts, federal procedure, and administrative law. Cleland’s practice also includes developing trial strategy as well as briefing critical and legally intensive issues in trial courts and before arbitration tribunals.
As lead counsel, Cleland has briefed and argued cases before the Second, Eighth, and DC Circuits, and has successfully represented clients on appeal, in federal district court, and in administrative proceedings. Most recently, after winning a pro bono immigration appeal in the Second Circuit, Cleland first-chaired the ensuing trial and prevailed—obtaining a grant of asylum for a client who previously had been slated for deportation.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Cleland was a member of the appellate practice in the New York office of another prominent international law firm. He previously served as a law clerk to the Hon. D. Brooks Smith of the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and to the Hon. Charles R. Simpson III of the US District Court for the Western District of Kentucky.
Princeton University, AB, cum laude, Philosophy
University of Virginia School of Law, JD
Articles Editor, Virginia Law Review
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York