Alex Vitruk is an associate in Mayer Brown's Los Angeles office and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He has experience in a wide range of matters at both trial and appellate levels, including complex commercial disputes, class actions, cybersecurity and data privacy matters, and consumer product false advertising cases.
Alex has experience drafting and editing pleadings and briefs; arguing motions in court, including dispositive motions; taking and defending depositions; assisting trial teams; engaging in mediation and settlement discussions; managing document production and review teams; and preparing various fact-finding reports. He is natively fluent in Russian and conversant in Spanish, and consistently utilizes his diverse language skills in serving Mayer Brown clients.
Alex maintains an active pro bono practice focused on immigration and voting rights issues. He also prepares decision and complaint summaries for publication in the ABA Section of Antitrust Law’s “Recent Litigation Developments” division.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Alex served as a judicial law clerk to multiple Judges at the Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles, where he acquired valuable knowledge of state court practice. He also interned at the California Attorney General’s Office, Consumer Law Section, where he gained insight into consumer litigation and class actions.
- Led defense of prominent media company in action alleging theft of intellectual property and related claims. Successfully moved to vacate multi-million dollar default judgment request and then obtained dismissal of the case with prejudice (plaintiffs took nothing).
- Defended U.S. affiliate of multinational food company in putative class action alleging violations of California’s consumer protection laws. Successfully opposed class certification and obtained favorable settlement for client.
- Represented global designer, manufacturer, and distributor of mobile device accessories in data privacy matter involving multiple entities and individual defendants, securing favorable settlement for client.
- Defended prominent manufacturer of consumer electronics in putative class action alleging fraudulent advertising and violation of California’s consumer protection laws. Successfully opposed class certification and obtained dismissal.
- Led defense of electronic hardware corporation in action alleging violation of Sarbanes-Oxley corporate whistleblower protection law, and obtained favorable settlement for client.
- Helped secure win for aerospace and defense technology company in a nationwide class action over pension benefits. In one of the first cases in the Ninth Circuit to address a pension plan’s right to recoup benefit overpayments to plan participants, the team convinced a federal judge to dismiss the lawsuit that alleged claims involving breach of fiduciary duty and violations of ERISA’s disclosure requirements.
- Defending technology company in putative class action alleging that smartphone application violates Washington state gambling and consumer protection laws.
- Directing defense of advertising executive and company in action alleging breach of contract, derivative misappropriation of trade secrets claim, and derivative consumer protection and tort claims.
- Representing international designer and manufacturer of electric vehicles in case involving misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, interference with contract and prospective economic advantage, and related claims.
- Representing leading vehicle company in action alleging fraud and contract interference.
- Representing overseas corporation in securities and contract-related dispute involving commercial real estate in California.
- Representing individual in partnership-related dispute arising from commercial real estate business.
- Defending benefit plans, plan sponsors, and plan fiduciaries in several putative class actions alleging violations of ERISA.
University of Washington, BA
Boston University School of Law, JD, cum laude
Member, Review of Banking and Financial Law Journal
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Young Lawyers Division—Los Angeles, Committee Member