“Impeccable client service and responsiveness . . . one of the best PE/M&A lawyers in town.”
“Extremely responsive, hard-working, depth of knowledge and experience . . . .”
Steven Tran is a partner of Mayer Brown based in the Hong Kong office. Steven represents private equity, corporate and financial institution clients on their private equity, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and joint venture transactions across a broad range of industry sectors. Steven's practice covers both domestic Greater China deals and complex multi-jurisdictional deals across the Asia-Pacific region and beyond.
Steven has over 20 years of legal experience and has been based in Hong Kong since 2002. He previously practiced law in Sydney with a leading Australian law firm and also spent four years in Tokyo where he helped to establish and develop the Japan corporate practice for a global law firm.
Steven speaks English, Vietnamese and Japanese.
- Advised GPA Global (a portfolio company of EQT Partners) on its acquisition of the European packaging solutions business of ASG Print Holdings (a portfolio company of Atlas Holdings).
- Advised Unified Industrial Group on an equity investment from Macquarie Asset Management.
- Advised GIC on a commercial and residential real estate investment in Vietnam.
- Advised a leading global private equity fund on its proposed acquisition of a Singapore fintech company.
- Advised Meridian Capital on the Hong Kong regulatory aspects of establishing a food production business in Hong Kong.
- Advised 777 Partners on a Singapore joint venture with a number of Asia regional airlines.
- Advised 777 Partners on its acquisition of a Hong Kong technology company.
- Advised RTH Advisors on the formation of a private equity fund to invest in Japan real estate assets.
- Advised HNA Group on the sale of its global IT outsourcing and consulting business.
- Advised Tricor Group (a portfolio company of Permira) on its acquisition of Richful Deyong.
- Advised Tricor Group on its acquisition of Madison Pacific Group.
- Advised Tricor Group on its acquisition of a Japanese business services company.
- Advised Tricor Group on the restructuring of the shareholding of its Vietnam operations.
- Advised Tricor Group on the restructuring of the shareholding of its Thailand operations.
- Advised Bain Capital on its US$432 million investment in Gome Electrical Appliances Holding through the subscription of RMB-denominated US dollar settled 5% convertible bonds and the underwriting of an open offer of new shares.
- Advised Bain Capital on its US$100 million acquisition of 7% senior exchangeable bonds in Sunac Limited.
- Advised CITIC Capital on its investment in LanzaTech New Zealand Limited.
- Advised CITIC Capital on its subscription of HK$233 million 3.5% convertible bonds from Hilong Holding Limited.
- Advised CITIC Capital on its subscription of HK$232 million 3.5% convertible bonds from China Tianyi Holdings Limited.
- Advised Warburg Pincus on its acquisition of US$250 million zero coupon convertible bonds issued by Chunghwa Picture Tubes, Ltd.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its acquisition of Keystone Digital Infrastructure, a data centre software platform developer.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on the disposal of its portfolio of Sri Lankan real estate assets to a Singaporean purchaser.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on the offshore shareholders' agreement relating to its acquisition of real estate assets in Niseko, Japan.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on the post-completion restructuring of its investment in a Chinese car park management business.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its Indonesian joint venture to acquire and develop real estate in Bali, Indonesia.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its joint venture with a Thai partner in respect of certain Thai real estate investments.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its disposal of certain Cambodian real estate assets to a local Cambodia-based purchaser.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its disposal of certain Sri Lankan real estate assets to a Chinese purchaser.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its disposal of certain Palau real estate assets to a local Palau-based purchaser.
- Advised Doughty Hanson on its €750 million acquisition of TMF, a global management and accounting outsourcing services business.
- Advised CEL Catalyst China-Israel Fund on its investment in SatixFy Limited.
- Advised New World Investment Fund on its investment in exchangeable bonds issued by Ocean Sound Enterprise Limited.
- Advised Nomura China Venture Investment Fund (an investment vehicle of Nomura Securities) on the reorganization, and subsequent sale, of its shareholding in Loulan Holdings.
- Advised SIN Capital on matters relating to its Hong Kong joint venture with Vista Holdings Group Limited.
- Advised China Everbright on its investment in convertible bonds issued by Simplicity & Vogue Retailing Corporation.
- Advised a leading global private equity fund on its ¥5.1 billion investment in Atom Corporation.
- Advised the private equity arm of a leading global investment bank on its US$70 million acquisition of Ssangyong Corporation.
- Advised the investment arm of a leading global technology company on its investment in Series A preferred shares of CTAccel Limited.
- Advised Jardine Group on the restructuring of its Pizza Hut and PHD businesses in Hong Kong.
- Advised Amazon on its acquisition of a Hong Kong internet data centre operator.
- Advised Village Roadshow Entertainment Group on its Chinese film and TV production joint venture with Perfect World Pictures and WME-IMG.
- Advised Village Roadshow Entertainment Group's sale to Perfect Village Entertainment HK Limited of its limited partnership interest in Irresistible Films LP.
- Advised UBS on its proprietary investment in NIO Inc. (formerly known as NextEV Inc.).
- Advised Mercer on its acquisition of the remuneration consulting and related data services business of HR Business Solutions across Hong Kong, China and Singapore.
- Advised CITIC Securities Co., Limited on its acquisition from Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank of CLSA, an Asian equity brokerage.
- Advised TPV Technology Limited on its acquisition of the entire television business of Koninklijke Philips Electronics NV in Europe and certain South American countries.
- Advised 21st Century Fox on the establishment of its Star China TV joint venture with China Media Capital, and the subsequent sale of its 49.9% stake in the joint venture to China Media Capital.
- Advised Ctrip.com on its US$88 million acquisition of a 90% interest in the shares of the holding company through which Wing On Travel (Holdings) Limited operates its travel business in Hong Kong, China and other countries.
- Advised Pacific Century Regional Developments Limited, as the joint offeror with China Netcom, on their HK$14.9 billion cash offer to privatize PCCW Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Vodafone Group on the ¥2 trillion tender offer by SoftBank Corporation for Vodafone Japan.
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on its business alliance with The Bank of East Asia Ltd. relating to the co-development of business potential in Japan, Mainland China, Hong Kong and other countries.
- Advised Sojitz Corporation on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Phenix Jet Hong Kong Limited.
- Advised Calyon Bank on the ¥3.5 billion sale of its Japanese and Hong Kong cash equities and sales trading business to BNP Paribas.
- Advised Nomura Holdings, Inc. on its acquisition of the Asia-Pacific operations of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.
- Advised a leading global bank on its HK$184 million acquisition of an interest in Dah Sing Financial Holdings.
University of New South Wales, LLB
University of New South Wales, BA, (Asian Studies)
College of Law, Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Australia, New South Wales
- Recommended - Private Equity: Foreign Firms, China – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021, 2022)
- “Impeccable client service and responsiveness. Always on-top of the key issues, but also recognises if there is an area that he is not an expert in and is the first to introduce us to someone who is (but maintains the relationship with us as the client and ensures quality of work of his partners). One of the hardest working lawyers I have known, willing to work all-hours, weekends, and public holidays - to get the job done. Very pragmatic and commercial and able to spot which are the important issues for us, which can be traded for other things we want and always meets deadlines. Steven is one of the best PE/M&A lawyers in town, with a work ethic and passion for his clients that is second to none. I would not hesitate to recommend Steven for any job.” – IFLR1000 (2021)
- “Extremely responsive, hard-working, depth of knowledge and experience which he brings to bear in a very effective way. Steven is skilled at problem solving and explains complex matters in ways that are easy to understand. Helps cut to a solution.” – IFLR1000 (2021)