Steven Tran is a partner of Mayer Brown based in the Hong Kong office. Steven represents private equity, corporate and financial institution clients on their private equity, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and joint venture transactions across a broad range of industry sectors. Steven's practice covers both domestic Greater China deals and complex multi-jurisdictional deals across the Asia-Pacific region and beyond.
Steven has over 20 years of legal experience and has been based in Hong Kong since 2002. He previously practiced law in Sydney with a leading Australian law firm and also spent four years in Tokyo where he helped to establish and develop the Japan corporate practice for a global law firm.
Steven speaks English, Vietnamese and Japanese.
- Advised a Chinese conglomerate on the sale of its global IT outsourcing and consulting business.
- Advised Permira and its portfolio company, Tricor Group, on the acquisition by Tricor Group of Richful Deyong.
- Advised Permira and its portfolio company, Tricor Group, on the acquisition by Tricor Group of Madison Pacific Group.
- Advised Bain Capital on its US$432 million investment in Gome Electrical Appliances Holding through the subscription of RMB-denominated US dollar settled 5% convertible bonds and the underwriting of an open offer of new shares.
- Advised Bain Capital on its US$100 million acquisition of 7% senior exchangeable bonds in Sunac Limited.
- Advised CITIC Capital on its investment in LanzaTech New Zealand Limited.
- Advised CITIC Capital on its subscription of HK$233 million 3.5% convertible bonds from Hilong Holding Limited.
- Advised CITIC Capital on its subscription of HK$232 million 3.5% convertible bonds from China Tianyi Holdings Limited.
- Advised Warburg Pincus on its acquisition of US$250 million zero coupon convertible bonds issued by Chunghwa Picture Tubes, Ltd.
- Advised a leading global private equity fund on its ¥5.1 billion investment in Atom Corporation.
- Advised the private equity arm of a leading global investment bank on its US$70 million acquisition of Ssangyong Corporation.
- Advised the investment arm of a leading global technology company on its investment in Series A preferred shares of CTAccel Limited.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on the disposal of its portfolio of Sri Lankan real estate assets to a Singaporean purchaser.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on the offshore shareholders' agreement relating to its acquisition of real estate assets in Niseko, Japan.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on the post-completion restructuring of its investment in a Chinese car park management business.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its Indonesian joint venture to acquire and develop real estate in Bali, Indonesia.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its joint venture with a Thai partner in respect of certain Thai real estate investments.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its disposal of certain Cambodian real estate assets to a local Cambodia-based purchaser.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its disposal of certain Sri Lankan real estate assets to a Chinese purchaser.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its disposal of certain Palau real estate assets to a local Palau-based purchaser.
- Advised Doughty Hanson on its €750 million acquisition of TMF, a global management and accounting outsourcing services business.
- Advised CEL Catalyst China-Israel Fund on its investment in SatixFy Limited.
- Advised New World Investment Fund on its investment in exchangeable bonds issued by Ocean Sound Enterprise Limited.
- Advised Nomura China Venture Investment Fund (an investment vehicle of Nomura Securities) on the reorganization, and subsequent sale, of its shareholding in Loulan Holdings.
- Advised SIN Capital on matters relating to its Hong Kong joint venture with Vista Holdings Group Limited.
- Advised China Everbright on its investment in convertible bonds issued by Simplicity & Vogue Retailing Corporation.
- Advised Amazon on its acquisition of a Hong Kong internet data centre operator.
- Advised Village Roadshow Entertainment Group on its Chinese film and TV production joint venture with Perfect World Pictures and WME-IMG.
- Advised Village Roadshow Entertainment Group's sale to Perfect Village Entertainment HK Limited of its limited partnership interest in Irresistible Films LP.
- Advised UBS on its proprietary investment in NIO Inc. (formerly known as NextEV Inc.).
- Advised Mercer on its acquisition of the remuneration consulting and related data services business of HR Business Solutions across Hong Kong, China and Singapore.
- Advised CITIC Securities Co., Limited on its acquisition from Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank of CLSA, an Asian equity brokerage.
- Advised TPV Technology Limited on its acquisition of the entire television business of Koninklijke Philips Electronics NV in Europe and certain South American countries.
- Advised 21st Century Fox on the establishment of its Star China TV joint venture with China Media Capital, and the subsequent sale of its 49.9% stake in the joint venture to China Media Capital.
- Advised Ctrip.com on its US$88 million acquisition of a 90% interest in the shares of the holding company through which Wing On Travel (Holdings) Limited operates its travel business in Hong Kong, China and other countries.
- Advised Pacific Century Regional Developments Limited, as the joint offeror with China Netcom, on their HK$14.9 billion cash offer to privatize PCCW Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Advised a leading global bank on its HK$184 million acquisition of an interest in Dah Sing Financial Holdings.
- Advised Vodafone Group on the ¥2 trillion tender offer by SoftBank Corporation for Vodafone Japan.
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on its business alliance with The Bank of East Asia Ltd. relating to the co-development of business potential in Japan, Mainland China, Hong Kong and other countries.
- Advised Sojitz Corporation on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Phenix Jet Hong Kong Limited.
- Advised Calyon Bank on the ¥3.5 billion sale of its Japanese and Hong Kong cash equities and sales trading business to BNP Paribas.
- Advised Nomura Holdings, Inc. on its acquisition of the Asia-Pacific operations of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.
University of New South Wales, LLB
University of New South Wales, BA, (Asian Studies)
College of Law, Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Australia, New South Wales