"Of Tollan...'He's the only true pure insolvency litigator in this market.'"IFLR 1000 (2010)
Richard Tollan is a partner of Mayer Brown. He advises on insolvency and fraud matters. He advises liquidators and other insolvency practitioners on matters of insolvency law and the legal aspects of issues arising in the management of insolvent estates; advises other office-holders appointed by regulatory bodies to manage various types of regulatory administrations and related misfeasance investigations; and advises creditors in respect of their rights and claims in an insolvency environment and other estate administrations.
He also advises banks and other parties with respect to fraud and management of large scale litigation to recover the proceeds of fraud. He advises on investigations into corporate mismanagement prior to insolvency; ICAC and SFC investigations; anti-money laundering/counter-terrorist financing matters; investigations conducted in respect of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other similar legislation. Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015) described him as "a key name" in this area. He also advises banks on matters of banking law and insolvency litigation and identity theft fraud.
Richard is an accredited Higher Rights of Audience (HRA) in respect of civil proceedings by way of exemption by the Law Society of Hong Kong. He is also a former Detective Inspector in the Commercial Crime Bureau of the Hong Kong Police running multi-jurisdictional investigations into serious fraud.
According to Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2007-09), Richard is described as "fantastic," "contentious specialist" and "very personable". Richard has been nominated as a Leading Restructuring and Insolvency Lawyer in the 21st/2011 Edition of the IFLR1000. He is also a Recommended Restructuring and Insolvency Lawyer by the PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook in 2008 and the PLC Cross-Border Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook in 2007.
- Adviser to the Liquidators of the Hong Kong Lehman Brothers group of companies
- Adviser to the Liquidators of the 3D-Gold group of companies
- Adviser to the Liquidators of the U-Right group of companies
- Adviser to the Liquidators of the Smart Union group of companies
- Adviser to the Liquidators of Legend International Resorts Limited (In Liquidation)
- Lead adviser to the Liquidators of the Moulin Group of companies (including first case of US chapter in recognition of Hong Kong proceedings in California)
- Lead adviser to the Liquidators of B+B Construction Company Limited (In Liquidation) throughout its provisional liquidation and liquidation including a thorough investigation into fraudulent trading, director misfeasance and general corporate mismanagement
- Lead adviser to the special managers of Wah Nam Group Limited (In Liquidation)
- Adviser to the Liquidators of New China Hong Kong Group Limited (In Liquidation) and its subsidiary companies
- Advised a global beauty products company in an extensive FCPA internal investigation in the PRC and compliance review of their anti-corruption policies
- Appointed lead counsel by a leading corporation providing seismic IT solutions for oil and gas companies to conduct general risk assessment of its PRC subsidiary and investigate into allegations of potential misconduct by its staff and to specific red-flags
- Advised US-based leaders in energy and agricultural sectors and conducting anti-corruption due diligence reviews in their potential acquisitions in China
- Advised a Norwegian global leader in the energy sector in conducting risk assessment on agents used by its acquisition target in Singapore and Vietnam
- Advised subsidiaries of a Japanese MNC in respect of its potential investment in Vietnam from an FCPA and UK Bribery Act perspective
- Advised on FCPA, UK Bribery Act and PRC law exposure in relation to the arrest of a S. African Bank office and request by officials for payment
- Advised a US pharmaceutical company on its anti-corruption policy as part of the FCPA Counselling Project
University of Wolverhampton, LLB
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Restructuring and Insolvency (Hong Kong) – IFLR1000 (2018-2019)
- Band 3 - Restructuring/Insolvency (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2014-2019)
- Dispute Resolution Star - Insolvency (International Firms), Hong Kong - Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific (2018)
- Leading Lawyer - Restructuring and Insolvency (Hong Kong) – IFLR1000 (2010-2017)
- “Mayer Brown advises clients on FCPA/anti-corruption compliance and enforcement proceedings throughout the Asia region. The firm also has expertise representing clients in ICAC investigations. Former Commercial Crime Bureau detective inspector Richard Tollan is a key name.” – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015)
- Up and Coming - Restructuring/Insolvency (China) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)
- Featured Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers – Expert Guides (2012)
- "we've won the court cases we've had to make, and Tollan was instrumental in that. I think it took pick and shovel work and it was very good because the work was complicated and some of it was just down to perseverance. I'd rate them as a give out of five, and would use them again in a heart-beat" – IFLR1000 (2012)