Richard Steuer focuses on the practice of antitrust law, including litigation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property licensing, franchising, and e-commerce. Richard litigates at all levels of federal and state courts, on behalf of defendants and plaintiffs, in private suits and against government entities. He represents clients in government investigations, both civil and criminal, including agency review of mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures. He also regularly advises leading companies on structuring their business practices, including distribution arrangements and licensing programs.
Richard served as Chair of the ABA Section of Antitrust Law from 2011-2012. Previously, he served as the Section’s Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates and as Editorial Chair of the Section’s Antitrust magazine. For three years he also served as Chair of the Antitrust Committee of the New York City Bar Association.
Richard has written a book and dozens of articles on antitrust law that have appeared in such journals as the Cornell Law Review, the University of Pennsylvania Law Review and the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law. He lectures frequently, including presentations at FTC and US Department of Justice workshops and at programs sponsored by the American Bar Association, the American Corporate Counsel Association, PLI, the International Franchise Association, the Conference Board, and other organizations. His commentary has appeared in The New York Times and the National Law Journal. He is quoted regularly in the Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, USA Today, Business Week, and other publications, and has appeared on CNN, and CNBC television.
Richard has taught Antitrust Law as an adjunct associate professor at NYU School of Law and as an adjunct professor at St. John's University School of Law and Fordham Law School. He also is a member of the Advisory Board of BNA’s Antitrust & Trade Regulation Report and is listed in Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in American Law, the International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers, the Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation, and Chambers USA. According to Chambers USA 2014, “he ‘stands out’ as a ‘terrific’ lawyer in this field,” and “is particularly regarded as a heavyweight in the distribution and pricing area.”
- In re LIBOR-Based Financial Instruments Antitrust Litigation, (S.D.N.Y, filed 2010). Defense of a major bank against price-fixing conspiracy claims in multi-district consolidated putative class actions. Ongoing litigation.
- In re Municipal Derivatives Antitrust Litigation, (S.D.N.Y., filed 2008). Defense of a major bank against price-fixing conspiracy claims in multi-district consolidated putative class actions. Ongoing litigation.
- In re Digital Music Antitrust Litigation, (S.D.N.Y., filed 2006). Defense of music company against price-fixing conspiracy claims in multi-district consolidated class actions. Ongoing litigation.
- RxUSA Wholesale, Inc. v. Alcon Laboratories, Inc. (E.D.N.Y., filed 2006). Defense of pharmaceutical manufacturer against conspiracy and monopolization claims. Defense motion to dismiss granted; affirmed on appeal.
- Sony Electronics Inc. v. Soundview Technologies (Fed. Cir. 2004). Patent/antitrust suit. Defense of consumer electronics manufacturer against price fixing and boycott claims. Defense motion for summary judgment granted by District Court in Connecticut. Affirmed on appeal.
- Fears v. Wilhelmina Model Agency (S.D.N.Y. 2004). Defense of modeling agencies against price fixing class action suit. Successful motion for summary judgment for one defendant, settlement for another.
- Eastside Vend Distributors v. Coca-Cola Enterprises (Md. Cir. Ct. 2004). Defense of soft drink bottler against price discrimination suit. Case settled.
- Pepsi-Cola Bottling Co. of Pittsburg v. PepsiCo (D. Kan. 2003). Defense of soft drink bottler against tortious interference and antitrust claims. Defense motion for summary judgment granted. Case settled.
Recent Government Investigations (Non-Merger)
Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
- Multi-billion dollar sale of major franchisee to franchisor.
- Acquisition of major insurer by another insurer.
Columbia Law School, JD
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Northern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Western District of New York
- Chair, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2011
- Chair, Committee on Antitrust and Trade Regulation, New York City Bar Association, 1995-1998
- Chair-Elect, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2010-2011
- Vice Chair, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2009-2010
- Committee Officer, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2007-2009
- ABA House of Delegates, Section of Antitrust Law Delegate, 2005-2008
- Secretary and Communications Officer, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2004-2005
- Chair, ABA Antitrust Section Remedies Task Force, 2003-2004
- Editorial Chair, ABA’s Antitrust magazine, 1998-2001
- Chair, ABA Antitrust Section Publications Committee, 1996-1998
- Neutral Evaluator, US District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1994-1996
- Council Member, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 1993-1996, 2001-2004
- Chair, ABA Antitrust Section Sherman Act Section 1 Committee, 1992-1993
- Member, Advisory Board of BNA’s Antitrust & Trade Regulation Report
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, American Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Chambers USA
- Who's Who in America
- Who's Who in American Law
- International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers
- Euromoney Guide to the World's Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers
- Practical Law Company Competition Handbook
- New York Super Lawyers
- New York Area's Best Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America