Neil Soltman is a civil litigator whose practice is particularly focused on complex trials and disputes. Neil has represented substantial business entities in California state and federal courts for over 30 years. He handles a wide spectrum of matters, including litigation related to the interpretation or constitutionality of statutes and related regulations; securities litigation; litigation with respect to large real estate matters, including commercial loan and lease transactions; and intellectual property litigation (including, e.g., trade secrets, copyrights and trademarks).
Neil has an extensive trial background in both federal and state trial courts. He also has conducted numerous litigated proceedings before arbitration panels and alternate dispute resolution bodies — including the American Arbitration Association, JAMS/ Endispute and private one- and three-member arbitration panels — involving arbitration, private judging (under, for example, California Code of Civil Procedure §§ 638) and mediation. In addition, he has substantial experience in briefing and arguing appeals in both the state and federal appellate courts.
Neil has an active appellate practice and is a certified appellate specialist by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization.
Neil joined Mayer Brown in 1985. He served on the firm’s Litigation Administration Committee (1995–2002) and its firm-wide and Los Angeles office Finance Committees (1995 to date) and, from 1995 to 2002, he headed Mayer Brown’s Los Angeles office Litigation Department. Previously, Neil held senior positions with two other prominent law firms in Los Angeles.
- Complex multiparty arbitration involving False Claims Act issues.
- Representation of national bank in litigation with public officials concerning securities losses to public pension fund.
- Three week jury trial involving fiduciary duty claims.
- 275 day state court trial before retired judge relating to a $200 million real estate dispute.
- Six-month state court jury trial concerning unfair competition (Cal. Bus & Prof Code Section 17200) and theft of trade secret issues.
- Three-month state court jury trial concerning computer and commercial law issues.
- Two-month state court jury trial concerning royalty issues in the record industry.
- Two-month state court jury trial concerning securities fraud.
- Two-week state court jury trial concerning fraudulent inducement claims on securities investments in hedge funds.
- One-week federal court jury trial concerning issues of first impression re employer liability for temporary employees.
- One-week federal court trademark trial concerning the interface of broadcast television and internet web sites.
- Five-month state court bench trial before private judge concerning rental value of 1900 miles of easements for petroleum pipelines for major pipeline operator.
- Three-month state court bench trial before private judge concerning rental value of 1900 miles of easements for petroleum pipelines for major pipeline operator.
- Eight-week arbitration concerning control of corporation holding business process patent and valuation thereof.
- One-week federal court bench trial concerning Uniform Commercial Code issues for major national retail chain.
- Several multi-week NASD three-member arbitrations concerning securities law and securities fraud issues.
The Catholic University of America, JD
ranked first in class
Article and Book Review Editor (1974-1975) and Member (1973-1974), Catholic University of America Law Review, ranked first in class.
Temple University, BA, magna cum laude
University President’s Scholar
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of California
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- US District Court for the Southern District of California
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for the District of New Mexico
- American Bar Association, Sections on Litigation and Antitrust
- Los Angeles County Bar Association