Tim Shepherd is counsel in Mayer Brown's London office and a member of the Insurance group. He joined Mayer Brown in 2010 having previously worked for another international law firm.
Tim has extensive experience of defending high value and high profile claims, often arising from a complex transactional, trusts, pensions or tax-related background, brought against a wide range of professionals - including solicitors, trustees, accountants, insolvency practitioners, actuaries and surveyors. Tim is experienced in handling litigation in County Courts, the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court from early stages through to trial, and is also frequently involved in resolving disputes by way of mediation and arbitration.
Tim also assists professional advisers who are facing regulatory investigations and disciplinary proceedings, and has experience of dealing with a range of different regulators and professional bodies in this regard.
In addition, Tim commonly advises insurer clients on a wide variety of policy coverage issues arising under PI, FI and D&O policies, and is experienced in acting on behalf of insurers in the defence of policyholder disputes.
Tim often delivers presentations and leads discussions on a wide range of topical legal and risk-management issues affecting professional advisers and the insurance market
- Defending a number of high value claims, brought against both legal advisers and pension scheme administrators/actuaries, by principal employers and professional trustees in connection with equalisation liabilities accruing under pension schemes.
- Defending claims brought against a number of international and leading regional law firms relating to the drafting and operation of various aspects of pension scheme documents. These have included, for example, disputes surrounding the implementation of changes to benefit structures, and pension payment increase provisions, under pension schemes’ governing rules.
- Defending proceedings brought against a leading international law firm in connection with a high value property development project in Mayfair.
- Advising upon the defence of a claim against an international law firm relating to a complex, high value dispute between directors of a US public company.
- Defending a variety of claims, brought against both legal and accountancy advisers, arising in connection with the operation of complex international trust structures and tax avoidance schemes.
- Conducting the defence of a claim against a firm of accountants in relation to the provision of a recommendation of international accountancy advisers to a client.
- Defending proceedings brought against a firm of insolvency practitioners in relation to alleged breaches of the Insolvency Act 1986 by a director of a company in liquidation.
- Preparing and conducting a successful application for summary judgment in respect of a claim brought against a firm of accountants by a litigant in person, arising out of the winding-up of a UK-based farming company.
- Advising both legal and accountancy advisers in connection with regulatory inquiries and investigations pursued against them by both domestic and international regulatory bodies.
Nottingham Law School, Post-Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course
Exeter University, LLB, Honours, Law
- England and Wales