Boya Shen is a partner of Mayer Brown LLP and Director of Projects, China of Mayer Brown's Beijing office. His practice includes project development and project finance, structured finance and energy & infrastructure, as well as bank & acquisition finance. Boya has represented lenders, sponsors and investment funds in power, energy, manufacturing facilities and other infrastructure projects. He was also involved in a number of high profile and innovative acquisition finance deals.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Boya qualified as a Barrister at Law in England and Wales and worked in another international law firm including that firm's Africa office. He was also seconded at the Private Equity Department of the China Investment Corporation.
Corporate and Acquisition Finance
- A syndicate of PRC and international banks on the US 4 billion facility made to China Yangtze Power International (Hong Kong) Co., Limited in the acquisition of Peru’s largest electric company Luz del Sur from Sempra Energy. The deal would be the largest acquisition made by a Chinese state-owned enterprise in the Americas since 2015.
- A lender on the EUR 50 million financing facility to Dika Morocco Africa in connection with the borrower’s general corporate purposes.
- A leading PRC bank as mandated lead arranger, bookrunner and underwriter and agent on a facility to COFCO (Hong Kong) Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of COFCO Corporation, China’s largest food processing company with interests in, among others, agricultural commodities trading and agricultural products processing, to take China Agri-Industries Holdings Limited private pursuant to a scheme of arrangement.
- A syndicate of international and PRC banks on the multi-tranch and multi-currency financing to Beijing Automotive Group in connection with its acquisition of the public listed shares of a certain German automotive company.
- A leading PRC Bank on the financing to Warburg Pincus for its investments in Ant Financial, the affiliate of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. China's Ant Financial, raised about US$14 billion in what market watchers called the biggest-ever single fundraising globally by a private company. The deal was awarded "Private Equity Deal of the Year 2018" by China Law & Practice Awards, “Deal of the Year 2018: PE/VC and Fintech” by China Business Law Journal and “Private Equity Deal of the Year 2019” by Asia Legal Awards hosted by The Asian Lawyer.
- A leading PRC Bank on the US$850 million acquisition financing involving eight jurisdictions for the acquisition of all the issued shares of Sirtex Medical Limited, an Australian medical device company specializing in oncology treatment using Selective Internal Radiation Therapy (SIRT). The buyers CDH and China Grand Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Holdings Limited have jointly offered a total consideration of US$1.4 billion in cash for the acquisition. The deal was awarded "Inbound M&A Deal of the Year 2018" by Mergermarket Inaugural Australia M&A Awards and “Deal of the Year 2018: M&A” by China Business Law Journal.
- A leading PRC Bank on the approximately US$4.3 billion and €1.8 billion term loan and US$900 million revolving loan facility transaction for the Euro 10.1 billion acquisition of 100% of Akzo Nobel's specialty chemicals business by The Carlyle Group and GIC.
- A leading PRC Bank in a proposed US$10 billion acquisition loan to a Chinese power company in connection with the proposed acquisition of a public listed European utility company.
- Major PRC banks in the 6.8 billion euro acquisition loan to a Chinese sovereign investment corporation in connection with its approximately 12.25 billion euro acquisition of logistics assets in Europe. The deal was awarded "Real Estate Deal of the Year 2018" by China Law & Practice Awards.
- A leading PRC bank, as arranger, and the Luxembourg branch of the PRC bank, as agent and security agent extend a US$10 billion term loan facility to Global Chem Investment in support of its equity investment in an affiliate of China National Chemical Corporation for application toward the US$45 billion acquisition of Syngenta, a major and global Swiss agribusiness conglomerate.
- China Everbright Bank in connection with a term loan facility to an international tyre manufacturer.
- China Development Bank in connection with facilities to a South Africa bank as part of its SME programme.
- A Major state owned European oil & gas company in relation to its restructuring.
Export Credit Facility
- A major Chinese EPC contractor in relation to its role as concessionaire, sponsor and shareholder in tollroad projects located in Kenya.
- A syndicate of PRC and international banks in the Euro 149 million export credit facilities in connection with the renovation and asphalting of two road projects in Côte d'Ivoire.
- A syndicate of PRC banks in the Euro 75 million export credit finance in connection with a three million wheels manufacturing project in Morocco.
- Two leading PRC banks on the EUR 167 million facility made to the Republic of Benin as part of the country’s largest planned infrastructure development and the first export credit financing made by Chinese banks in support of Chinese construction companies for projects in Benin.
- A syndicate of PRC banks in an approximately US$1 billion export credit facility in connection with a highway project in Zambia.
- A syndicate of PRC bank in an Euro 90 million export credit facility in connection with the financing of the development of a hotel and tourism complex in Benin.
- A leading PRC bank in an approximately US$360 million export credit facility in connection with a housing project in Ukraine.
- China Development Bank in connection with an export credit facility to Bulgaria BTC Network.
- China Development Bank in connection with an export credit facility to Ukrtelecom in Ukraine.
- China Development Bank in connection with an export credit facility to PT Smart Telecom in Indonesia.
Energy, Power and Infrastructure Project
- A PRC sovereign fund on the project financing facility of RMB 1.4 billion in connection with the design, construction, financing, development, implementation, commissioning and operation of the Samarkand Tourism Centre in Uzbekistan to be used in connection with the 2022 Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Summit in Samarkand – the historic town and cross-road of Silk Route.
- A leading PRC Bank on a US 200 million facility made to Dito Telecommunity Corporation, the third largest telecommunications service provider company in the Philippines for the rollout and operation of its 4G/5G network in the Philippines.
- A syndicate of PRC and international banks in connection with five project financing facilities with an aggregate value of US$450 million to the subsidiaries of Goldwind for the development of five wind power projects with an aggregate 374.65 megawatts in Argentina, accounting for more than 40 percent of the total wind power capacity of Argentina. This deal was awarded “Projects & Energy Deal of the Year 2020” at the China Law & Practice Awards.
- A syndicate of PRC and international banks at the pre-bid phase in connection with a US$550 million soft mini perm project financing facility for the development of the 750 MW Al Kharsaah solar project in Qatar.
- China Exim Bank in connection with the financing of the development of an international airport in Benin.
- A major Chinese SOE in relation to its role as concessionaire, sponsor and shareholder in four tollroad projects located in Kenya which are part of the first annuity based road project in Kenya and east Africa.
- A major Chinese SOE in connection with the development of an approximately US$260 million highway project in Bangladesh.
- A major Chinese SOE in connection with the development of a railway project in Guinea.
- A major Chinese SOE as investor and EPC Contractor in connection with its potential investment in Ramu II hydro project in Papua New Guinea.
- A major Chinese SOE as investor and EPC Contractor in connection with the development of Terminal Poruario Sao Luis in Brazil.
- China Exim Bank in the US$1.17 billion financing of the development of the Souapiti hydropower project and the restructuring of the Kaleta hydropower project, both located in Guinea. This project adopted an innovative and complex structure of a hybrid sovereign loan and project finance and required the amendment of Guinean local legislation.
- A Chinese sovereign fund in connection with a US$200 million equity investment for the development of certain platinum mining project in South Africa.
- A Chinese sovereign fund in connection with a US$200 million equity investment for the development of the Dari zinc-lead mining project in Indonesia.
- A Chinese sovereign fund in connection with a US$200 million term loan facility to a mining group for the import of bauxite from the Republic of Guinea.
- Asia Development Bank in connection with a facility of approximately US$100 million to China Everbright Environmental Energy Ltd. to finance a portfolio of waste-to-energy projects in Vietnam.
- Asia Development Bank in connection with facilities of approximately US$200 million A Loan and B Loan to Beijing Capital in connection with the construction and management of wastewater treatment facilities in China.
- A Chinese sovereign fund and a major PRC telecommunications company in connection with the investment in a public private partnership project for building, operating and transferring of a fibre-optic network in Kazakhstan.
- A Chinese sovereign fund in a US$200 million equity investment in an Ethiopian LNG project. The US$4 billion project consists of five exploration blocks in the Ogaden Basin of Ethiopia and will also involve the construction of a 700 km gas pipeline to transport up to 12 billion cubic metres of gas per year from the Ogaden Basin to the port of Damerjog in Djibouti where an LNG liquefaction and export plant will be built. The deal was awarded as "Project & Energy Deal of the Year 2018" by China Law & Practice.
- A major Chinese oil company in connection with a proposed crude oil pipeline project in Africa.
- A Major Chinese SOE in relation to its potential investment in relation to a hydro power project in Georgia.
- IFC and CITIC Construction in relation to a pan-Africa housing development in project. The transaction received the award of 2015 Construction Team of the Year from Africa Legal Award.
- A European development fund in relation to the development and transfer of a hydropower plant in Uganda.
- The Lenders in connection with the project financing of the development of the 630 MW first coal fired IPP project in South Africa.
- Major Chinese mining company in connection with its multi-billion dollar joint venture in Africa with one of the largest chrome miner in the world.
University of Oxford, MSc
BPP University Law School, BVC
The University of Warwick, LLB
- Next Generation Partner - Banking & Finance: Foreign Firms, China – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- Rising Star - Projects and Energy: Foreign Firms, China – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020, 2021)