Boya Shen is a senior associate of JSM. His practice includes project development and project finance, structured finance and energy & infrastructure, as well as bank & acquisition finance. Boya has represented lenders, sponsors and investment funds in power, energy, manufacturing facilities and other infrastructure projects. He was also involved in a number of high profile and innovative acquisition finance deals.
Prior to joining JSM, Boya qualified as a Barrister at Law in England and Wales and worked in another international law firm including that firm's Africa office. He was also seconded at the Private Equity Department of the China Investment Corporation.
- A leading PRC Bank on the financing to Warburg Pincus for its investments in Ant Financial, the affiliate of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. China’s Ant Financial, raised about US$14 billion in what market watchers called the biggest-ever single fundraising globally by a private company. The deal was awarded "Private Equity Deal of the Year 2018" by China Law & Practice Awards, "Deal of the Year 2018: PE/VC and Fintech" by China Business Law Journal and "Private Equity Deal of the Year 2019" by Asia Legal Awards hosted by The Asian Lawyer.
- A leading PRC Bank on the US$850 million acquisition financing involving eight jurisdictions for the acquisition of all the issued shares of Sirtex Medical Limited, an Australian medical device company specializing in oncology treatment using Selective Internal Radiation Therapy (SIRT). The buyers CDH and China Grand Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Holdings Limited have jointly offered a total consideration of US$1.4 billion in cash for the acquisition. The deal was awarded "Inbound M&A Deal of the Year 2018" by Mergermarket Inaugural Australia M&A Awards and "Deal of the Year 2018: M&A" by China Business Law Journal.
- A leading PRC Bank on the approximately US$4.3 billion and €1.8 billion term loan and US$900 million revolving loan facility transaction for the Euro 10.1 billion acquisition of 100% of Akzo Nobel’s specialty chemicals business by The Carlyle Group and GIC.
- A Chinese sovereign fund in connection with a US$200 million equity investment for the development of certain platinum mining project in South Africa.
- A Chinese sovereign fund in connection with a US$200 million equity investment for the development of the Dari zinc-lead mining project in Indonesia.
- A Chinese sovereign fund in connection with a US$200 million term loan facility to a mining group for the import of bauxite from the Republic of Guinea.
- China Exim Bank in the development of the Souapiti hydropower project and Kaleta hydropower project, both located in Guinea.
- A major Chinese SOE in relation to its role as concessionaire, sponsor and shareholder in tollroad projects located in Kenya.
- A major Chinese SOE as investor and EPC Contractor in connection with its potential investment in Ramu II hydro project in Papua New Guinea.
- A Chinese sovereign fund and a major PRC telecommunications company in connection with the investment in a public private partnership project for building, operating and transferring of a fibre-optic network in Kazakhstan.
- A Chinese sovereign fund in a US$200 million equity investment in an Ethiopian LNG project. The US$4 billion project consists of five exploration blocks in the Ogaden Basin of Ethiopia and will also involve the construction of a 700 km gas pipeline to transport up to 12 billion cubic metres of gas per year from the Ogaden Basin to the port of Damerjog in Djibouti where an LNG liquefaction and export plant will be built. The deal was awarded as "Project & Energy Deal of the Year 2018" by China Law & Practice.
- Major PRC banks in the 6.8 billion euro acquisition loan to a Chinese sovereign investment corporation in connection with its approximately 12.25 billion euro acquisition of logistics assets in Europe. The deal was awarded "Real Estate Deal of the Year 2018" by China Law & Practice Awards.
- A leading PRC bank, as arranger, and the Luxembourg branch of the PRC bank, as agent and security agent extend a US$10 billion term loan facility to Global Chem Investment in support of its equity investment in an affiliate of China National Chemical Corporation for application toward the US$45 billion acquisition of Syngenta, a major and global Swiss agribusiness conglomerate.
- A major Chinese oil company in connection with a proposed crude oil pipeline in Africa.
- China Development Bank in connection with facilities to a South Africa bank as part of its SME programme.
- A Major Chinese SOE in relation to its potential investment in relation to a hydro power project in Georgia.
- IFC and CITIC Construction in relation to a pan-Africa housing development in project. The transaction received the award of 2015 Construction Team of the Year from Africa Legal Award.
- Major Chinese mining company in connection with its multi-billion dollar joint venture in Africa with one of the largest chrome miner in the world.
- A Major state owned European oil & gas company in relation to its restructuring.
- A European development fund in relation to the transfer of a hydro power plant in Uganda.
University of Oxford, MSc
BPP Law School, BVC
The University of Warwick, LLB