Jessica Sewell is an associate in the Corporate & Securities group of Mayer Brown’s Houston office. She represents both public and private companies in a wide array of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, corporate governance, and general corporate matters. Jessica spent one year in the firm’s Hong Kong office, where she advised issuers and underwriters on global high yield debt offerings (Rule 144A and Regulation S) and other capital markets matters.
Jessica earned her JD with honors from the University of Texas School of Law and dual BA degrees in International Studies and Chinese from the University of Mississippi. While in law school, Jessica served as Managing Editor of the Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law.
Jessica speaks English and Mandarin.
- Advised Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, HSBC, J.P. Morgan and Standard Chartered Bank as the joint lead managers in the offering by the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka of new senior unsecured fixed rate notes, comprising of US$1.25 billion 5.75% notes due 2023 and US$1.25 billion 6.75% notes due 2028.
- Advised the underwriters, led by BOCOM International Securities Limited, on the issuance of US$450 million 7.30% Guaranteed Senior Notes due 2019 by a Chinese real estate development company.
- Advised Credit Suisse, HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank and DBS Bank, as joint global coordinators, in the issuance of US$150 million 4.875% guaranteed notes due 2023 and guaranteed by S E A Holding Limited, a Chinese real estate property developer.
- Represented Sinochem in its offering of RMB 1 billion 4.4% Senior Guaranteed Notes due 2021. The notes were issued under Sinochem’s US$5 billion EMTN program. Standard Chartered Bank was the sole manager for the transaction.
- Represented the underwriters, led by Bank of America Merrill Lynch, in a public offering of US$1.8 billion of senior notes by a U.S. based publicly-traded exploration and production company. Concurrently represented the underwriters and the dealer manager in a tender offer for outstanding old notes.
- Represented a Texas-based public exploration and production company in its private offering of approximately US$400 million of convertible preferred equity.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a global beverage company in its acquisition of a Mexico-based mezcal producer.
- Represented Ecopetrol, the Colombian national oil company, in the acquisition of an interest in the K2 Field in the US Gulf of Mexico from a subsidiary of Mitsubishi.
- Represented Texas-based Nisshin Gulf Coast, Inc. (NGC) on the sale of 80% of its equity to Japanese company Nippon Valqua Industries, Ltd. NGC is the recognized leader in PTFE fluoropolymer-lined products serving the chemical processing, semiconductor, pharmaceutical and food processing industries.
- Successfully represented a Honduran pro bono client in her affirmative application for asylum in the United States.
University of Mississippi, BA, summa cum laude, International Studies
University of Mississippi, BA, summa cum laude, Chinese
University of Texas School of Law, JD, cum laude, Managing Editor, Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas: Business Law Section, Corporate Counsel Section