"Provides sensible solutions in complex cases"Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015)
Maythawee Sarathai is a partner of Mayer Brown's Thailand office. Maythawee has advised on all matters relating to investment in Thailand, e.g., merger and acquisition, corporate structure and registration. He also advises creditors, liquidators, planners, plan administrators, special managers and debtors on all aspects of both contentious and non-contentious corporate lending, restructuring and insolvency. Maythawee also has experience in advising on distressed debt situations generally including settlement, recovery and enforcement strategies, business and asset reorganisation.
Maythawee has acted extensively for investors in negotiating and documenting multi-national cross-border investors for merger and acquisition in Thailand and for bank steering committees in negotiating and documenting multi-bank cross-border corporate workouts and court-supervised reorganisations in Thailand. He has also acted for both local and international clients based in Thailand and offshore for distressed assets sale and purchase.
- Advised a large Hong Kong based utility company on its acquisition of an offshore company which is the operator of, and owns interests in, several oil & gas concessions in Thailand.
- Advised Horizon Oil on its joint venture with Pearl Oil for a gas concession in Thailand
- Advised Nestle Group on its global acquisition of Pfizer's nutrition business.
- Acted for Delhaize Group in its sale of 22 supermarket stores in Thailand.
- Acted for the major shareholders of B-Quik, a Thai car-light repairing service company in selling their 100% stocks to Japanese buyer.
- Advised a large Filipino corporation on sale of its non alcoholic business in Thailand.
- Advised a Chinese brewery in its joint venture with Thai partner.
- Thai Petrochemical Industry Public Company Limited (TPI) - Acted throughout the restructuring of TPI for a Committee of Creditors comprising an international group of bank creditors which represented 140 banks, export credit agencies and a supranational lender.
- Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited - advised the lead creditors in the restructuring of the Bangkok skytrain operator.
- Italian-Thai Development Public Company Limited - Advised the steering committee on the restructuring of around THB 11.5 billion.
- NPL Auctions - advised international financial institutions for bidding of NPL portfolios offered for sale by various local banks. E.g., Siam Commercial Bank PCL, Bank Thai PCL and Krung Thai Bank PCL.
Chulalongkorn University, LLM
Chulalongkorn University, LLB
- Recommended Lawyer - Restructuring & Insolvency, Thailand – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020)
- Band 2 - Restructuring/Insolvency, Thailand – Chambers Asia Pacific (2018-2020)
- "Provides sensible solutions in complex cases" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015)
- "Maythawee is delivering a first class quality service and has contributed significantly in securing two commercial settlements with very difficult Indian guarantors that have allowed us to make some significant write back." – The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited Tokyo (HSBC Tokyo)