Mary Santanello is counsel in Mayer Brown’s Chicago office and a member of the Banking & Finance practice. She has nearly 15 years of experience advising banks, private credit funds, private equity sponsors and corporate borrowers in a wide range of complex domestic and cross-border corporate finance transactions.
Mary’s practice focuses on middle-market leveraged cash-flow and asset-based credit facilities, loan restructurings and workouts, and specialty finance transactions. She has significant experience with acquisition financings and deals involving complicated capital structures, and has worked on transactions in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, restaurants, retail, fitness, energy, franchising, media and communications, healthcare and gaming.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Mary practiced at large international law firms in New York and Atlanta. She also served as an AmeriCorps*VISTA volunteer before attending law school.
- Represented private credit fund as administrative agent in connection with senior secured term loan financing for a middle-market kitchen equipment supplier, including negotiation of an intercreditor agreement with asset-based revolving lenders and an agreement among lenders.
- Represented private credit fund as administrative agent in connection with senior secured financing to support acquisition of Spanish target by network security provider backed by two private equity funds.
- Represented private credit fund as administrative agent in providing senior secured financing to private equity-backed operator of indoor climbing facilities.
- Represented sponsor finance group of financial institution in connection with numerous middle-market “club” and unitranche acquisition financings, including first lien-second lien and senior-mezzanine structures.
- Represented private credit fund in providing senior secured term loan facilities in connection with several split-collateral unitranche financings.
- Represented private equity fund and its portfolio companies in connection with multiple acquisition and dividend recapitalization financings in the restaurant industry.
- Represented bank as lead arranger and administrative agent in various cash-flow secured financings for master limited partnership and other midstream energy companies.
- Represented bank as lead arranger and administrative agent in providing asset-based revolving credit facility in connection with acquisition of specialty foam manufacturer by private equity fund and concurrent issuance of senior secured notes.
- Represented bank as lead arranger and administrative agent in providing asset-based credit facility for publicly-traded pharmacy retailer.
- Represented bank as administrative agent in connection with asset-based credit facility for family-owned coffee importer and distributor.
- Represented private credit fund as administrative agent in providing debtor-in-possession financings to support Section 363 sales (by auction and by credit bid) in the Chapter 11 bankruptcies of various restaurant brands.
- Represented bank as administrative agent for carpet manufacturer’s asset-based lending facility and eventual Chapter 11 bankruptcy case, including entering into debtor-in-possession financing and a Section 363 sale to a strategic buyer.
- Represented a large syndicate of lenders in casino company’s Chapter 11 restructuring of more than $1 billion of debt, from pre-petition negotiations through plan confirmation and consummation.
Specialty and Structured Finance
- Represented middle-market lending group of asset manager in obtaining multiple lender-finance facilities from commercial banks, structured through bankruptcy-remote special-purpose entities.
- Represented bank as arranger and underwriter in various “whole-business” securitizations in the franchise sector.
- Represented investment banks in structuring various collateralized corporate debt obligations, including the Total Securitization “CDO Deal of the Year” for 2007.
New York University School of Law, JD
Saint Louis University, BA, summa cum laude
- New York
- Member, American Bar Association, Business Law Section