"commercially and tactically fantastic," praised for being "friendly, personable and interested in finding solutions"Chambers UK 2019
Nick is head of our London Employment Group, which has been described as "an authority in employment" and "a first stop for City clients", for providing “real authority and nous” as well as “fit for-purpose advice”. Leading the practice, he “puts his neck on the line for clients” (Legal 500 2016). He is regarded as a leading light in employment law and has been rated as either a "star" lawyer or a Band 1 lawyer for advice to employers in Chambers for many years. He is listed as a leading individual in Legal 500.
Clients like his personable, down to earth approach and how he quickly gets to grips with their needs. He has an ability to cut through complex areas of law, communicating them clearly and simply. Nick advises on a full range of employment matters for employers, both on a collective basis and in relation to individual employees. He regularly advises on the recruitment and termination of senior executives; the conduct of consultation meetings with trade unions and employee representatives; and large scale corporate reorganisations and outsourcing matters. His practice increasingly includes cross-border projects and disputes.
His experience includes representing employers in legal proceedings in the Employment Tribunal, Employment Appeal Tribunal, High Court and Court of Appeal. He has represented clients at the Central Arbitration Committee and in mediations. In addition to acting as client relationship partner, and partner level adviser to many of the Firm's clients, Nick is also instructed by employers facing significant employment issues, either because of the size of the claim, or the sensitivities surrounding it. Many of these do so "off panel" looking to use the experience and approach which Nick has.
Recent examples of his work include successfully acting to obtain the full enforcement of post termination restrictions against departing employees who were joining a competitor of our client, and advising on a large scale reorganization involving multiple TUPE transactions coupled with a need to harmonise significantly differing terms of employment across a number of associated companies.
Nick is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association. He is also a member of the City of London Law Society Employment Sub-Committee. He is a trained mediator, and sits on the Employment Advisory Board of PLC magazine. He has previously sat on the EAT Users Group and the ELA International Committee.
He became Head of the London Employment Group in January 2009 and a Global Firm Practice Leader in the Employment and Benefits Group in 2010. Nicholas qualified as a lawyer in 1988 and became a partner in 1995. His involvement with employment law dates back to 1983, and since that time he has been continuously involved with employment law one way or another.
“The Employment practice is led by ‘first-class practitioner’ Nicholas Robertson and is recognised for its strength in litigation. Other areas of expertise for Robertson include senior executive recruitments and terminations, trade union issues, corporate reorganisations and outsourcing matters.” Legal 500 2018: Employment
- Recently involved in successfully defending clients against the enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- Successfully defended clients on a recent leading case involving the Business Transfer Regulations.
- Has advised on the conduct of consultation meetings with unions and employee representatives and on large-scale corporate reorganisations and outsourcing.
- Advice to a major Bank on bonus claims worth £150 million.
- England and Wales
- Employment Lawyers Association International Committee
- EAT Users Group
- Member of PLC Employment Advisory Board
- Member of City of London Solicitors Employment Sub-Committee
- Nicholas Robertson is "commercially and tactically fantastic," according to clients, who also praise him for being "friendly, personable and interested in finding solutions." His broad practice sees him advising on issues including unfair dismissals, whistle-blowing and non-solicitation clauses in contracts. (Chambers UK 2019).
- The Employment practice is led by "first-class practitioner" Nicholas Robertson and is recognised for its strength in litigation. Other areas of expertise for Robertson include senior executive recruitments and terminations, trade union issues, corporate reorganisations and outsourcing matters. (Legal 500 2018).
- "Excellent technical lawyer" Nicholas Robertson regularly advises employers on the recruitment and departure of senior employees, and also trade union issues. Clients say he is "very commercial, very experienced and gives sage advice." (Chambers UK 2018).
- Well-regarded and ranked as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 2017.
- Nicholas Robertson offers support to employers and senior executives across the whole gamut of employment law. He is recognised for his expert knowledge of senior executive exits, trade union negotiations and large-scale reorganisations. One client remarks: "Nick is highly commercial and direct. He balances the legal requirements with our culture and business needs to achieve the best outcomes." (Chambers UK 2017).
- Mayer Brown International LLP’s "excellent" team is "an authority in employment" and "should be a first stop for City clients". Nicholas Robertson (who "puts his neck on the line for clients"’) heads the team. (Legal 500 2016).
- Chambers UK 2016 ranks 30 Mayer Brown practices and 47 lawyers.
- Nicholas Robertson leads Mayer Brown International LLP’s team, which provides "real authority and nous" and "fitfor-purpose advice". (Legal 500 2015).
- Nicholas Robertson heads the employment department and is noted as being "good at presenting solutions and very good at recommending what needed to be done." Sources also note that he fights hard for his clients, who include large international corporates. (Chambers UK 2015);
- Ranked by Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers magazine for 2014, employment section; also ranked in the Top 10 list of lawyers in London.
- Nicholas Robertson, who is "technically brilliant and knows his stuff inside out", leads the "expert" team at Mayer Brown International LLP (Legal 500 2014);
- Nicholas Robertson is a doyen of the employment world and, in the words of one peer, "a real heavyweight." "I think he's probably one of the best employment lawyers you will ever find," claimed one source, whilst others praised his commercial awareness and ability to work collaboratively. (Chambers UK 2014);
- is “incredibly experienced, highly focused on what the client needs to achieve and really hard working” (Chambers UK 2013);
- "brilliant: pragmatic, commercial and supportive." (Chambers UK 2012);
- “a great tactician” and “a great team player and “a delight to work with” (Chambers UK 2011);
- Robertson shows "all-round excellence" (Legal 500 2011);
- “a solution-orientated lawyer with a sophisticated knowledge of the sector” (Chambers UK 2010);
- "a sensible dealmaker" (Legal 500 2010);
- “a delight to deal with”, “one of the most knowledgeable and commercial practitioners around”, “fantastically good lawyer” and “someone who can find a way through most problems even when opposing sides are at loggerheads”.