James Rix is an Associate Director of Mayer Brown's Thailand office. He handles large scale arbitrations and Alternative Dispute Resolution of construction related disputes and acts for developers, contractors and sub-contractors in various construction arbitration and litigation projects throughout the region.
James advises on numerous construction contract claims, construction negligence claims, and claims involving environmental issues. He drafts construction-related documents for local and international developers, subcontractors and contractors. James also advises real estate developers, consultants, contractors and subcontractors, insurers, financial institutions and all participants in the construction process.
- Conducted the liquidation of several Thai subsidiaries for a major UK utilities company as part of an international financial restructuring including the conduct of tax and regulatory investigations with Thai authorities.
- Advised Bombardier in connection with the investigations policy and cooperation for EU Commission investigations in Thailand.
- Advised an international soft drink manufacturer in relation to anti bribery and corruption issues under Thai law.
- Conducted anti bribery and corruption due diligence in Gansu Province PRC for an international wind power producer as part of a wider M&A matter.
- Acted in ICC arbitration proceedings relating to the State Railway of Thailand Red line Extension.
- Assisted with litigation conducted in the Civil Courts of Thailand arising out of the Theun Hinboum Expansion Project, Lao P.D.R..
- Acted in disputes in connection with Suvarnabhumi Airport.
- Acted for a consortium of international and Thai contractors against a Thai government entity in arbitration proceedings governed by the Thai Arbitration Institute, Office of the Judiciary, Thailand.
- Advised an international consortium of contractors on regulatory issues, including investigations and appeals arising under the Thai Revenue Code.
- Conducted the dissolution and liquidation of Thai Group subsidiaries as part of an international re-structuring exercise.
- Advised mainland China SOEs on issues arising out of the performance of various carbon emission reductions purchase agreements.
- Conduct of Hong Kong High Court proceedings involving allegations of the production of inferior building materials.
- Represented the Hong Kong Government in an arbitration involving claims in relation to variations.
- Advised statutory entities on tendering issues and compliance with the WTO Government Procurement Agreement, including defending bid challenges.
- Advised a Hong Kong major developer on issues relating to slope stabilisation.
- Advised a major Hong Kong contractor in relation to defective agglomerated stone tiles.
- Acted for Hong Kong Housing Society in an ex parte application for an injunction against unknown persons obstructing excavation works in Sham Shui Po.
- Advised the Urban Renewal Authority and Hong Kong Housing Society on issues relating to Operation Building Bright.
- Advised a Canadian Solar Power Producer on claims arising out of power plant construction contracts for solar farms in India. Matter included 3 potential sets of arbitration proceedings under the SIAC Rules, seated in Mumbai, and satellite litigation relating to the termination of PPAs involving Indian State Government entities.
- Acted for a contractor in a Thai Arbitration Institute arbitration on claims arising out of a contract for the construction of a 5 star hotel in Bangkok.
- Advised a PRC SOE in relation to a proposed Public Private Partnership Concession Agreement involving the Royal Thai Navy and the Eastern Economic Corridor Office for the construction and operation of U-Tapao International Airport (30 year concession), in the Eastern Economic Corridor of Thailand.
- Acting in an arbitration brought under the auspices of the Office of Insurance Commission, Thailand.
- Advised the oil and gas division of a Japanese trading house on its proposed acquisition of various oil and gas interests in South East Asia.
- Advised a Hong Kong listed restaurant chain in establishing its business in Thailand, including industry specific regulatory advice
- Advised a PRC Contractor on the re-organisation of its Thai subsidiaries.
The College of Law, London, LPC
The College of Law, London, CPE
SOAS, University of London
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Member, ICC Thailand National Commission on Arbitration and ADR
- Regional Ambassador for Thailand, HK45 of HKIAC