Jon Rice is a partner in Mayer Brown's Houston office and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He focuses on complex commercial litigation, including corporate management liability, securities, and insurance coverage disputes. Jon regularly handles matters arising from almost all types of commercial insurance policies including D&O, employment practice, professional, broker/dealer, cyber breach, media and general commercial.
Jon also represents accused infringers and patent holders in intellectual property/patent litigation. These actions have involved technology ranging from drill ships to computer systems, software, and network privacy.
- Represent insurer in action brought by oil exploration company and its executives alleging bad faith denial and seeking policy coverage for defense costs and potential liability arising from securities class action based on alleged bribery of government officials, FCPA violations, and insider trading by insured's executives and private equity investors.
- Represent insurer in action brought by mortgage company alleging bad faith denial and seeking policy coverage for defense and settlement of state attorney general action. At issue was whether asserted wrongful acts met policy's definition of "professional service." Obtained summary judgment in favor of client.
- Represent insurer in action involving the destruction of a Dallas architectural landmark and a private art collection valued at more than $30 million. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Represent insurer accused of patent infringement in action alleging that insurer’s web portal, used to quote and sell policies, violated plaintiff’s patent. After three of four asserted claims were invalidated by PTAB, obtained favorable settlement for client.
- Represent insurers in complex commercial and large residential coverage disputes arising from property damage and business interruption losses caused by events such as hurricanes and fires.
- Represent telecommunications company in patent infringement action filed in the Eastern District of Texas. Client asserted that the defendants' switches and routers infringed its patent. Obtained $30 million jury verdict in favor of client.
- Represent Internet communications company in patent infringement action filed in the Eastern District of Texas. Obtained favorable settlement after jury trial.
- Represent wireless technology company in patent infringement action filed in the Eastern District of Texas. Client asserted that the defendant's digital wireless infrastructure infringed client's patents. Obtained favorable settlement on eve of trial.
Rice University, MA, American Intellectual History
The University of Chicago Law School, JD
Southwest University, BA, magna cum laude
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Association
- Spring Branch ISD, Hands on Science, Coordinator
- Spring Branch Memorial Sports Association (SBMSA), Coach