Arun Ravindran is an associate in the Global Energy and Projects & Infrastructure practice in Mayer Brown’s Singapore office. He is an Advocate & Solicitor of the Singapore Supreme Court with three years of proven experience in transactional and advisory work in relation to Energy, Infrastructure and Resources.
Oil and Gas
- Advising an East-Asian public natural gas company on the terms of its LNG sale and purchase agreement with two potential buyers in Western Europe.
- Advising the Singapore subsidiary of an East Asian steel-making company on the terms of its back-to-back LNG sale and purchase agreements to ensure it remained risk free both upwards and downwards the contractual chain.
- Advising an East-Asian natural gas company on its LNG SPA renewal process from the Prelude floating liquefied natural gas facility.
- Advised on the legal status and termination options for an Asian National Oil Company’s Exploration and Development Contract in Iraq.
- Advising a national oil company on long term LNG sale and purchase agreement with Mozambique LNG1 Company for supplies of LNG from Mozambique Area 1.
- Advised on the legal status and termination for options for an Asian National Oil Company’s LNG Sale and Purchase Agreement concerning an East African LNG Project.
- Advising an Asian National Oil Company in connection with its acquisition of interests in hydrocarbon fields in Azerbaijan and other assets.
- Advising an Asian National Oil Company in relation to upgrading and modernizing its petrochemical refinery.
- Advised on a long-term LNG Master Sale and Purchase Agreement for an Asian state-owned utility company.
- Advised on proforma long term LNG Master Sale and Purchase Agreement for an Asian state-owned utility company.
- Advising a major North Asian gas importer on the drafting of a term agreement for the sale of Propane and/or Butane.
- Advising on a confirmation notice and term sheet for a one-off LNG delivery for a major North Asian LNG importer.
- Advising a national oil company on its proposed acquisition of participating interest in the Azeri–Chirag– Gunashli oil fields in Azerbaijan and other assets, including interest in the 1,768 km Baku-Tbilisi-Cheyhan (BTC) crude oil pipeline connecting Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan and Ceyhan, a port on the southeastern Mediterranean coast of Turkey, via Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia.
- Acting for an LNG major in a dispute over arising from delay in delivery of a shipment of propane that was delivered a month late that centred around the interpretation of the phrase “the applicable delivery month” with claimed amounts on both sides exceeding US$2 million.
- Representing the tenant in a tenancy dispute amounting to around SGD 390,000 over outstanding rent and rectification of defects.
- Advising the Singapore branch of an Indian bank on a successful settlement of a dispute with the warehouse storage facility arising out of storage costs due to a fraudulent transaction created by a third party to dispose of E-waste.
- Advising charterers on a potential arbitration relating to the contamination of petrochemical cargo and successfully settling the dispute.
- Advising a major North Asian gas importer on a potential off-spec dispute where the counterparty conflated the volume of the cargo with the volumetric difference by which the composition of the entire cargo was off-spec.
- Representing the Subcontractor in an ICC arbitration claiming against the Main Contractor for extension of time, outstanding payments and loss and expense, arising out of the Design and Construction of a stadium being built for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- Advising an Asian SOE in connection with claims (including competing claims from bank creditors of Hin Leong Trading) and counterclaims against Hin Leong Trading, an oil trader undergoing judicial management in Singapore with debts in excess of US$3 billion. Our subsequent advice also covered the legal impact of outstanding bills of lading still held by third parties in relation to cargoes that had already been taken by the Asian SOE and steps that could be taken to mitigate any risk.
- Advising a South East Asian state-owned entity on its development, construction, ownership and operation of a ferronickel blast furnace smelting project with the capacity of producing 80,000 metric tons of ferronickel per year, as well as responding to COVID-19 related force majeure issues and managing correspondence potential disputes between owners and contractors.
- Advising a South East Asian state-owned entity on the development of proposed USD 8 billion integrated refinery and petrochemical plant (with processing capacity of up to 350,000 barrels per day of crude oil and of around 2.5 million of naphtha respectively) in Balongan, Indonesia.
- Advising a national oil company on its proposed acquisition of participating interests valued in excess of USD 1 billion in two Nigerian hydrocarbon fields offered for sale by Total.
- Advising a national oil company on its proposed investment into the USD 1 billion LNG receiving terminal project in Batangas, Philippines developed by First Gen Corporation and Tokyo Gas.
- Advising an international oil company on its activities that are intended to form the basis for carbon capture, carbon credit extraction and carbon trading framework in Indonesia.
- Advising an American MNC in connection with its proposed corporate power purchase agreement from a Vietnamese solar power plant project.
- Advising a multinational technology corporation in connection with its proposed corporate power purchase agreement from a solar power plant to be built in Singapore by Sembcorp Solar Singapore.
- Advising a multinational company in relation to its proposed DPPA arrangement in Vietnam.
- Advised an American multinational on a solar PPA as part of its corporate commitment to power its operations with 100% renewable energy, which is integral to its business model, goodwill and reputation.
- Advising the Singapore subsidiary of a South East Asian state-owned entity on its settlement negotiations strategy and/or termination options for its ship management contracts with Hong Lam Marine Pte Ltd based on the SHIPMAN 2009 standard forms.
- Advised on and represent client at the closing of a ship sale and ensure all documentation is taken care of to ensure timely and efficient closing.
- Advising on proposed entry of clients into the Singapore bunkering industry, including bunkering licence regime in Singapore, and acquisition of bunkering vessels or equity in bunkering licence holders.
- Advising an East-Asian public natural gas company on its LNG SPA renewal process from the prelude floating liquefied natural gas facility.
- Advising the Singapore subsidiary of an East Asian global supplier and operator of offshore floating platforms on its template Freight Forwarding Master Services Agreement, with particular focus on adapting force majeure provisions to include COVID-19 carveouts and to address any change in law arising from US/China sanctions.
- Advising an Indonesian state-owned company on its EPC contract for the construction and commissioning of a ferronickel smelting plant.
- Advising owners of a vessel in cold layup in Malaysia on whether the layup managers have a maritime lien or standard lien over the vessel in respect of unpaid sums due and owing to the layup manager.
- Advising an international financial institution on its ISDA Master Agreement put in place in connection with securitization of credit card debts.
- Reviewed, advised on and in limited cases, negotiated the ISDA Master Agreement that a South East Asian National Oil Company and its subsidiaries signed with over a dozen counterparties (each).
- Advising one of China’s gas supplier on activities related to trading of liquefied natural gas (LNG): We provided a legal review of several confidentiality agreements that it entered into with several counterparties that are significant players in the energy and financial industry. Our focus was on any language that was not market practice as well as troubleshooting any issues under either Singapore law or English law. We also advised on the ISDA transaction framework that the supplier would be entering into with various counterparties.
- Advising European entities on the ISDA Master Agreement entered into for a fixed or floating swap for a Solar PPA on an as generated basis.
- Advising a national oil company in connection with claims (including competing claims from bank creditors of Hin Leong Trading) and counterclaims against Hin Leong Trading, an oil trader undergoing judicial management in Singapore with debts in excess of USD 3 billion.
- Advised Evoqua Water Technologies on its divestment of its global MEMCOR membrane product line and workforce to Dupont Safety & Construction
- Advising an American global investment company on mandatory reporting obligations for derivative transactions in Singapore under the Securities and Futures Act.
- Advising an oil major on a major carbon capture and storage initiative in Indonesia, leading to trading of carbon units.
- Advising subsidiary of one of China's biggest gas suppliers on various non-disclosure agreements and LNG Master Sale and Purchase Agreements with international oil companies, national oil companies, traders and end users in connection with its LNG trading activities, including in connection with COVID-19 force majeure issues.
- Advising a US designated contract market on potential Singapore securities law issues governing non-US brokers offering US products to retail customers in Singapore.
- Advising the Singapore subsidiary of an East Asian state-owned entity on its capital reduction exercise under Singapore law.
- Advising on internal corporate restructuring of a national oil company involving its subsidiary in Singapore.
- Advising the Singapore subsidiary of an Indonesian state-owned entity on the legal requirement for signatures in contracts under English and Singapore law to assist them with modernizing their contract system to follow best practices in the commodities trading industry.
- Advising a Singapore subsidiary of an Asian renewable energy supplier on its mutual termination and asset transfer agreement to support its transfer of solar assets.
- Advising the Singapore subsidiary of a Chinese state-owned entity on its loan and trade facility agreement.
- Advising Ekuiti Nasional Berhad on due diligence on the Singapore subsidiary of a Malaysian company that it will be acquiring.
- Advising a US company on its distribution agreement for water treatment products.
- Advising subsidiary of one of China's biggest gas suppliers on consultancy agreement with its commercial advisor in connection with an LNG receiving terminal in China.
- Advising subsidiary of one of China's biggest gas suppliers on its MOU and Framework Agreement with international oil companies and trader in connection with its development of its LNG trading activities.
- Advising subsidiary of one of China's biggest gas suppliers on various consultancy agreements with its advisors in connection with its LNG trading activities.
- Advising subsidiary of one of China's biggest gas suppliers on various consultancy agreements with its advisors in connection with its proposed downstream oil & gas joint venture.
- Advising subsidiary of one of China's biggest gas suppliers on its tenancy agreement in connection with its LNG trading activities.
- Advising North Asian LNG player on its ETRM (energy, trading and risk management) software and services contract to facilitate its LNG trading activities.
Singapore Management University, LLB
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law