"Combining innovative solutions with a pragmatic approach", Tom Pugh demonstrates "significant technical expertise on a variety of complex cross-border issues"The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019)
Tom Pugh is a partner in Mayer Brown's Restructuring, Bankruptcy & Insolvency (RBI) practice. Tom is a corporate lawyer focusing on advising insolvency practitioners, creditors and debtors in respect of cross-border insolvencies and restructurings, with experience in acquisitions and disposals; corporate and distressed loan restructurings; and schemes of arrangement. Tom is recognised by independent legal directories, including The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Chambers Asia-Pacific and IFLR1000.
- Pacific Andes/China Fishery – advising Malayan Banking Berhad (Maybank), one of the primary bank creditors of the debtor group, in connection with recovery of its loans, involving multiple Chapter 11 cases and proceedings in Singapore, Bermuda and the BVI.
- Z-Obee– advising the provisional liquidators appointed in Hong Kong and Bermuda in connection with the restructuring of Hong Kong listed Z-Obee and the resumption of trading in its shares through multi-jurisdictional schemes of arrangement and involving novel cross-border recognition issues to address concerns arising from the Re Legend International Resorts Limited decision. The deal won a “standout” award from the FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyer Awards 2018 for its innovative solutions.
- Liquidators of the Hong Kong Lehman Brothers group companies – advising the liquidators on an ongoing basis in respect of issues arising on their liquidation, including cross-border asset recoveries; court processes to resolve key issues affecting the liquidators’ ability to determine and distribute assets; and other matters arising on administration of failed brokerages, together with leading the Hong Kong entities' cross border settlements in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Switzerland and Japan. Asset realisation for the Lehman Brothers entities has also included auction sales of claims into affiliate administrations and a scheme of arrangement to simplify the creditor profile for the treasury arm and accelerate its liquidation.
- Kaisa – acting for the bilateral bank lenders in relation to the restructuring of their loans to Kaisa Group Holdings Limited and the associated schemes of arrangement.
- China Shanshui Cement – advising IPs in their capacity as directors of China Shanshui Investment Company Limited on its contested replacement of Hong Kong listed China Shanshui Cement’s board.
- Ambow Education – advising key lender in the disposal of its loans to and security from a distressed New York listed PRC business structured through a VIE.
- Bangkok Bank – acting in the restructuring and onward sale to a new investor of approximately US$185 million debt owed by Indonesian entities.
- 3D-GOLD Group – advising the provisional liquidators on all matters arising in the provisional liquidation and restructuring of 3D-Gold Jewellery Holdings Limited and its subsidiaries, including novel schemes of arrangement allowing for maintenance of the listing or, in the alternative, requirement for the investor to acquire specified businesses and assets.
- Smart Union – advising on the resumption of trading in Hong Kong listed shares by way of restructuring and creditors' scheme of arrangement.
- TT&T – acting for a fund in connection with its strategic debt acquisition and the Thai rehabilitation plan for Thai Telephone & Telecommunication Public Company Limited.
- Bio-Treat Technology Limited – acting for majority bond participants in relation to the restructuring of S$207 million zero coupon convertible bonds issued by a Singapore listed group.
- Investment manager – acting on corporate bond restructuring and onward sale; and review of, advising on and exit from certain portfolio investments in the PRC.
- Multi-bank group creditors – acting in connection with the appointment of receivers to, and subsequent receivership sale of, a substantial apparel manufacturer based in Hong Kong with operations in the PRC and the Philippines.
- Titan Petrochemicals – advising Guangdong Zhenrong Energy Co., Ltd. in relation to its contested bid acquisition of PRC oil storage assets owned by a liquidated subsidiary of a public company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in connection with its restructuring and in an industry of strategic importance in the PRC.
University of Bristol, LLB, with Honours
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Director, The Turnaround Management Association, Hong Kong
- British Chamber of Commerce, Hong Kong
- Leading Individual - Restructuring and Insolvency, Hong Kong – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019)
- "Combining innovative solutions with a pragmatic approach", Tom Pugh demonstrates "significant technical expertise on a variety of complex cross-border issues" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019)
- Band 4 - Restructuring/Insolvency (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019), which notes that clients describe him as having a "very practical approach to matters" and being "very strong technically."
- Other Noted Practitioners - Restructuring/Insolvency (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2018)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Restructuring and Insolvency, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2018-2019)
- “John Marsden and Tom Pugh are leaders in the restructuring field and provide exceptional service …” IFLR1000 (2019)
- Leading Lawyer - Hong Kong, Restructuring and Insolvency – IFLR1000 (2017)
- “Very smart operator.” – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017)
- “John Marsden, Richard Tollan and Tom Pugh comprise a formidable senior bench.” – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2016)