Amanda Plowden is a senior associate and solicitor-advocate in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice of the London office. She advises and acts for clients in disputes and investigations, in a variety of commercial contexts. Her disputes cases are high value and complex, with multiple parties and jurisdictions. She has experience advising on pre-action issues, and has handled disputes all the way up to and through trial, from the commencement of proceedings to advising on settlement, including at mediation. Amanda has investigations experience in financial crime, anti-bribery and corruption, and compliance policy adherence matters. She has a particular focus on the recent prevalence of cultural reviews in the workplace.
Amanda spent 18 months on secondment to the internal investigations team of a leading international bank, where she worked on a variety of investigations, several with regulator involvement, and with issues arising in Asia and the Middle East. Prior to this, Amanda completed a secondment to the same bank where she advised on the legal aspects of the anti-money laundering and sanctions investigative review being undertaken by an independent monitor, which involved travel to Jersey and Bermuda.
Amanda joined Mayer Brown as a trainee in 2009 and spent six months on secondment to the firm’s Hong Kong office during her training contract.
- Advising a large automotive corporation on a cultural review following allegations of bullying, sexual discrimination and harassment in the workplace.
- Advising a major international bank on preparations for an FCA section 166 investigation regarding the accuracy of regulatory returns.
- Advising the liquidators of a major international construction company on various pre-action issues including potential claims arising.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, advising a leading construction company on enforcement of force majeure clauses within various supply agreements.
- Advising UBS in English Commercial Court proceedings concerning single-tranche CDOs and credit default swaps entered into with a municipal water company: UBS v. Kommunale Wasserwerke Leipzig GmbH and others (2014).
- Acting for one of two defendant law firms in a substantial Commercial Court claim alleging professional negligence in relation to PPP arrangements for the maintenance and renewal of the London Underground.
- Representing the investors in a joint venture in a dispute relating to exit arrangements. The dispute concerned a complex joint venture structure with investor parties in multiple jurisdictions.
- Representing an energy company in ICC arbitration proceedings regarding the sale and purchase of emission reduction units.
- Acting for a chemicals company in a breach of warranty claim, brought by a purchaser of one of its manufacturing companies, under a Sale Purchase Agreement.
- Acting for a major publishing house in a claim brought by one of their authors, as a litigant in person, for breach of contract and misrepresentation.
The College of Law, Guildford, Legal Practice Course
The College of Law, Guildford, Graduate Diploma in Law
The University of Sheffield, BA (Hons) English Language and Literature
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)