Benchmark Asia Pacific (2014)
“He is highly regarded, a superb arbitrator; good lawyer; and well liked.”
“He is a valuable force in the arbitration community and was very influential in guiding firm to present day success.”
Robin Peard is a senior consultant of Mayer Brown. He represents clients in commercial litigation, construction litigation and litigation involving the shipping and insurance fields. He also has extensive experience in acting as a single arbitrator or as a member of an arbitration tribunal dealing with disputes in these fields.
Robin acts for government, government-funded statutory corporations, property developers, banks and financial institutions, employers and contractors in the construction industry, ship owners and substantial corporations on all aspects of commercial, shipping, insurance and construction litigation in Hong Kong and South East Asia. Robin is a Notary Public in Hong Kong.
Robin was recently admitted Law Society's Roll of Honour at the Law Society's Annual General Meeting 2017 to recognise his decades-long contribution to Hong Kong's legal profession, practice of law and the development of arbitration law. Robin was also presented with a Certificate of Recognition on being on the Roll of Solicitors in Hong Kong for more than 50 years at the Law Society’s Annual General Meeting 2016 to recognise his tremendous contribution to the legal profession and to the practice of law especially in the development of Hong Kong arbitration law. Recognition of Robin's arbitration practice is reflected in various legal publications. He was recommended for Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration by Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2016). Robin was named as a Leading Arbitration Lawyer by Chamber Asia in 2008-2010 which noted, "'[Robin Peard] remains a well-regarded practitioner who plays an active role in the Hong Kong arbitration market.'" He was also listed as a Leading Commercial Arbitration Lawyer by An International Who's Who of Commercial Arbitration Lawyers in 1999, 2002-2006, 2010, and 2012. The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers in 2010, and Expert Guides - Guide to the World's Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration in 2002, 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2012. 2010's Asia Leading Lawyers described Robin as a "most highly recommended". He was voted as a Leading AsiaLaw Arbitration (International) Lawyer in Asia and Leading AsiaLaw Dispute Resolution Lawyer in Hong Kong by Asialaw Leading Lawyers in 2009 and 2011 respectively.
Advised North West Water on a dispute relating to Phase 1 of the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority Waste Water Treatment Scheme.
Advised the HKSAR Government on a major case in regard to the construction of Tin Shui Wai New Town and in an arbitration relating to Tai Po Road, Hong Kong.
Advised the Eastern Harbour Crossing in two successful arbitrations where they obtained toll increases.
Advised the University of Hong Kong Investigation Panel in its investigation of the Robert Chung affair.
Represented Cathay Pacific Airways in relation to the Chek Lap Kok Airport enquiry.
Advised Swire Properties on disputes with the Hong Kong Government over the Taikoo Shing development.
- Represented the Hong Kong Institute of Education on allegations of interference with academic freedom and institutional autonomy before the Commission of Enquiry.
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Chartered Arbitrator
- Fellow, Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Council Member, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Former Chairman, Building Appeal Tribunal
- Former Chairman, Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal
- Recognised for being on the Roll of Honour in Hong Kong for decades-long contribution – The Law Society of Hong Kong (2017)
- Recognised for being on the Roll of Solicitors in Hong Kong for more than 50 years – The Law Society of Hong Kong (2016)
- Recommended for Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration – Hong Kong by Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2016)
- Leading Arbitration Lawyer – The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2012)
- Expert in Commercial Arbitration – Expert Guides (2011, 2012)
- Leading AsiaLaw Dispute Resolution Lawyer in Hong Kong – Asialaw Leading Lawyers (2011)