Peter Parten is a senior associate in the Construction & Engineering practice of the London office. He has experience in drafting, and advising on, all aspects of domestic and international construction contracts for a wide-range of clients, including project sponsors, lenders, consultants and contractors. Peter advises on the major domestic standard forms, particularly the JCT suite of contracts, and international standard forms, such as FIDIC, and has drafted and negotiated bespoke amendments to these. He has also prepared bespoke EPC and EPCM contracts and has been involved in due diligence of the construction aspects of a number of high profile domestic real estate transactions.
Peter has also worked on contentious construction matters, advising insurers, contractors and consultants in relation to disputes concerning contractual termination, defective work and delay claims across a range of dispute resolution mechanisms.
Peter joined Mayer Brown in 2010 as a trainee and during his training contract, he spent six months on secondment to Thomson Reuters working alongside their in-house legal team. He has also visited Afghanistan on a number of occasions, advising on mineral tender and capacity building projects.
- Advising a cement producer in Africa on a split onshore/offshore EPC contract for a $37.5m expansion of its cement grinding facility.
- Drafting a precedent EPCM contract and RFP document for a mining company and advising on four fuel supply agreements for its mining operations in Mali.
- Advising a Brazilian shipbuilder on an EPC subcontract portion for the supply of nine oil tankers with a contract price c.$90million per tanker.
- Advising lenders on the EPC contract and ancillary documents for Roxgold Inc.'s Yaramoko gold project in Burkina Faso ("Africa – Mining and Metals Deal of the Year 2015" IJGlobal Europe and Africa Awards).
- Assisting lenders with review of construction documents relating to the $88m debt financing for the New Liberty gold mining project in Liberia.
- Assisting with the drafting of tender documents for mineral tenders and cement tenders for the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum in Afghanistan, assisting with the negotiation of the relating mining agreements and cement contract, assisting with training and capacity building and advising on the suitability of the country’s mining laws.
- Reviewing and updating of a precedent EPC contract and drafting of a precedent set of FIDIC silver book amendments for a global supplier of mineral fertilizers.
- Advising a contractor in defending a professional negligence claim in respect of defective building services at a Manufacturing Facility and in passing this claim down to the building services subcontractor.
- Advising a contractor in a £10million professional negligence dispute with its processing engineer in relation to a defective waste processing facility in the United Kingdom.
- Advising a purchaser on the construction aspects of a share purchase for the acquisition of two shopping centres and the subsequent corporate restructuring following such acquisition.
- Drafting and negotiating appointments for the professional team for tenant amenity works at Pioneer Point, London.
- Assisting cladding sub-contractor with tender stage responses on its sub-contract and associated documentation for a number of London-based projects.
- Advising purchaser on the construction aspects of the acquisition of the “Walkie Talkie” building at 20 Fenchurch Street.
- Drafting and advising in relation to the construction documentation for the fit out of tenant office space in the new building at 20 Fenchurch Street, London.
- Advising a construction joint venture and its insurers on a £20m dispute with a road operator.
- Assisting with advice on the underlying construction documentation relating to the £105m purchase of Old Spitalfields Market, London.
- Advising a contractor and its insurers on a £26m cladding dispute with a public body.
- Assisting with advice on the underlying construction documentation relating to the £170m purchase of Centrium, 61 Aldwych, London.
- Advising on all types of smaller construction disputes, e.g. advising a developer in relation to the installation of defective lifts, advising an employer’s agent in relation to unpaid fees under its appointment and advising a contractor in relation to a range of potential adjudications by its cladding subcontractor.
Kaplan Law School, LPC
College of Law, Guildford University of Surrey, GDL
University of York, MA
University of York, BA (Hons)
- England and Wales