Gordon Palmquist is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Tokyo office and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice. He advises Japanese corporations, insurance companies and financial institutions on outbound M&A, sales of subsidiaries, corporate governance and private equity, real estate, infrastructure and venture capital investments. He also regularly advises on fund formations and structuring for overseas investments. He also regularly advises on fund formations and real estate and infrastructure investments.
He began his law career with Mayer Brown in Chicago. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Gordon worked in marketing at the Tokyo office of a global advertising agency and was the international sales manager for a US-based company with distribution in Europe, Mexico and throughout Asia. Gordon has lived in Japan for over 15 years and is a fluent Japanese speaker.
- A Japanese multinational personal care company in the US$485 million sale of its haircare subsidiary to a leading German chemical and consumer goods company.
- Management of a global technology consulting services company in a management buyout from private equity owners.
- A Japanese insurance holding company in its US$6.3 billion acquisition of an Bermuda-based insurance company.
- A Contract Manufacturing Organization ("CMO") in the sale of its operations in Denmark and the US to a Japanese global glass manufacturing company.
- The indirect subsidiary of a Japanese private equity company, in its tender offer for the common stock and convertible bonds of a Japanese haircare company.
- A private equity and real estate investment firm in the purchase of a business process outsourcing services company headquartered in the US and with operations in the Philippines and Guatemala.
- A Japanese leading financial institution in many transactions, including its acquisition of an ownership interest in and alliance with a privately owned investment manager. and its purchase of HK$780 million of newly issued shares of a Hong Kong-based conglomerate holding company.
- A renewable energy company in connection with the sale of its Japanese solar power business to a Thailand-based energy company.
- A Japanese textile company in its acquisition of 51 percent of a German manufactured of carbon fiber reinforced plastics from an Austria-based industrial holding group.
- A Japanese multinational company in its acquisition of a manufacturer of innovative solutions for musicians.
- A Japanese telecommunications and information systems in its acquisition of a leading ATM manufacturer in Brazil.
- A multinational finance company in its investment in an India-based renewable energy company.
- A Japan-based securities financing business in its merger with another Japanese securities financing company.
- A Japan-based manufacturing company as international counsel in its acquisition of additional shares in a German-based machine tools manufacturer AG in exchange for shares in its US and Japanese subsidiaries.
- A Japanese manufacturer of optics and reprography products. in the sale of its subsidiary specialized in high-resolution CMOS imaging sensors to a Japanese multinational electronics company.
- A Japanese trading company in its asset purchase of a division of a US company.
- A subsidiary of a Japanese trading company in its creation of a joint venture with a US company.
- A Japanese trading company in its proposed creation of a joint venture with a South American company.
- Caterpillar, Inc. in its US$8.6 billion acquisition of Bucyrus International, Inc. via a public merger.
- Progress Rail Services, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., in its US$820 million acquisition of Electro-Motive Diesel, Inc. from private equity firms.
- The special committee of the board of directors of a publicly traded US company in the sale of the company to a private equity fund via a public merger.
University of Minnesota Law School, JD, magna cum laude
International University of Japan, MA
Saint Olaf College, BA
Waseda University, Tokyo, One-year Exchange Program
- Illinois: No. 1012
- Washington D.C.: No. 263
- Japan (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi), Dai-Ichi Tokyo Bar Association: No. G998
- Next Generation Lawyer: Foreign Lawyer - Corporate/M&A, Japan – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)