Elizabeth (Liz) Owerbach is an associate in Mayer Brown’s Washington DC office and a member of the Government & International Trade practice. She advises a range of global clients on addressing challenges and seeking opportunities in today’s regulatory climate, including compliance with economic sanctions and export control regulations.
Liz assists clients in the aerospace, defense, financial, insurance, manufacturing, energy and other sectors on a variety of trade compliance matters. Her practice centers on advising on the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations, Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Liz develops and conducts internal trade compliance investigations; advises clients facing government investigations; develops company-wide trade compliance programs; and handles daily sanctions and export control concerns.
Prior to her legal work, Liz completed a Fulbright fellowship in Togliatti, Russia, and served as a Program Associate for Central Asia at the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative. She has also worked with a variety of national and international organizations on immigration and anti-human trafficking issues.
- Conducted internal investigations related to possible OFAC sanctions violations for multi-national corporations including financial institutions, manufacturers, and distributors.
- Conducted internal investigations related to possible EAR and ITAR export control violations for global companies in the defense, manufacturing, logistics, and consumer goods industries.
- Advised companies in crafting voluntary self-disclosures to OFAC, the US Department of Commerce, and the US Department of State.
- Assisted companies in responding to subpoenas and information requests from a variety of US government agencies, including OFAC and the US Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security.
- Created sanctions and export control compliance manuals and procedures, including a new trade compliance program for a global oil & gas business.
- Provided day-to-day trade compliance advice to clients, including to those in the aerospace, logistics, energy, consulting, and insurance industries.
- Advised on sanctions and export control considerations for major mergers, acquisitions, credit agreements, and project finance ventures for clients of the firm.
College of William & Mary, BA, summa cum laude
Columbia Law School, JD
- District of Columbia
- New York