'Next Generation Partner'Legal 500 2020
Jonathan Olson-Welsh is a partner in the Construction & Engineering group, with specific focus on procurement and tendering advice and the drafting of construction and engineering contracts. His experience includes drafting and advising on all aspects of national and international construction and engineering contracts using both bespoke and standard forms such as FIDIC, IChemE, NEC and JCT. Jonathan has advised on large international projects including the development of the mining industry in Afghanistan, the expansion of a major maritime project in Central America, petrochemical plants in Saudi Arabia and Qatar, mining projects in Kenya, Turkey, New Mexico and power projects in Kuwait. In the domestic market, Jonathan has advised on numerous office, leisure, retail and residential schemes acting for developers, funders, contractors and consultants. Jonathan provides advice on the application of procurement rules to projects and has advised on a wide variety of procurement and tendering issues. Jonathan is a member of Mayer Brown’s Public Procurement Group.
Jonathan joined Mayer Brown in 2005 after spending 5 years with a leading UK business law firm and was made partner in 2013.
- Advising the Panama Canal Authority in relation to the US$5.8 billion expansion of a major maritime project in Central America.
- Advising utility on the tender process for major cross-city infrastructure project in the UK.
- Advising bidder in relation to a rail project in the UK.
- Advising lenders on a petrochemical plant in Egypt.
- Advising project sponsor of a US$4.5 billion petrochemical project in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Advising utility in relation to a 700 million cubic metre gas storage facility in the UK.
- Drafting and negotiation of a turbine supply contract on behalf of a contractor/operator for a power plant in Kuwait.
- Advising bidder on response to the invitation to tender package for gas-to-liquid (GTL) plant in Qatar.
- Advising contractor in relation to three CHP plants in Nigeria.
- Advising owner in relation to oil storage and new port facilities in Jordan.
- Advising bidder in relation to undersea gas pipeline tender.
- Advising project sponsor in relation to the design and construction of a Biodiesel plant in Baileycourt, France and Grangemouth, Scotland
- Advising the US government and Afghanistan Ministry of Mines on the development of the mining industry in Afghanistan (with an estimated resource of up to US$3 trillion).
- Acting on behalf of project sponsors in relation to US$200 million mineral processing plant in Kenya.
- Acting on behalf of project sponsors on a US$300 million nickel mining project in Turkey.
- Advising lenders on a US$665 million copper/cobalt project in Mexico.
- Advising significant mining company in relation to the development of its standard form contracts.
- Advising retailer on the refurbishment of its flagship London store and other stores around the UK.
- Advising purchaser of a mixed-use market in London.
- Advising developer on the refurbishment of retail units in the UK.
- Acting for the owner of retail parks/units in the UK.
- Advising contractor in relation to a retail park in the UK.
- Advising developer of office space in relation to a variety of buildings in the UK.
- Advising tenants in relation to a variety of fitting out of offices in the UK.
- Advising lenders in relation to the financing of an office development in the UK.
- Advising developer in relation to two 50 storey plus residential towers in the UK.
- Advising house developer in relation to its standard form contracts for residential developments .
- Advising signature architect on various residential developments in the UK.
- Advising owner on the refurbishment of a five star hotel in the UK.
- Advising owner on the redevelopment of a building for a five star hotel and apartments in the UK.
- Advising owner on the refurbishment of a four star hotel in the UK.
- Advising signature architect in relation to the redevelopment of a five star hotel in the UK.
- Advising owner on a mixed use leisure/retail scheme in the UK.
- Providing procurement advice to a major outsourcing specialist on the terms of a framework agreement for the provision of business support and IT services.
- Providing procurement advice to entity operating in the pensions sector.
- Advising unsuccessful bidder in relation to potential challenge of decision to award a consultancy services contract.
- Advising unsuccessful bidder in relation to potential challenge of decision to award a framework agreement.
- Advising utility on the application of public procurement rules to its proposed procurement for gas related infrastructure.
- Advising utility on the application of public procurement rules to proposed company re-organisation.
Chartered Institute of Building, Hampshire
University of Wales, Cardiff, LLB, Law and German
University of Innsbruck, Austria, Diploma of Civil Law
- England and Wales
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner' for Construction and under 'Other key lawyers' for Infrastructure - Legal 500 2020.