Michael Newham is counsel in Mayer Brown's London office and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He trained at another international law firm and joined Mayer Brown in 2010. Prior to qualifying as a solicitor, Michael spent several years working within the finance teams of two large commercial property companies in London.
Michael has advised in relation to various contentious and non-contentious matters. He has particular experience in advising professional firms, and in advising insurers in relation to policy coverage issues and assisting insurers and policyholders in relation to the defence of third party claims and regulatory and disciplinary investigations. Michael has also acted for reinsurers in complex recovery actions. Specific areas of experience include:
- Professional Liability: defending claims by third parties, as well as regulatory and disciplinary investigations and proceedings, against a range of professionals including solicitors, accountants, pensions professionals/actuaries and architects.
- Directors' & Officers' Liability: advising insurers in connection with D&O policy coverage issues, notably in connection with claims arising out of the Icelandic banking collapse.
- Financial Institutions: advising insurers on the coverage aspects of claims brought against financial institutions, notably in connection with claims arising from the Madoff fraud.
- Product Liability: advising insurers in relation to coverage of third party product liability claims, and assisting in the defence of such claims.
The College of Law, Legal Practice Course
BPP Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law
Rhodes University (South Africa), BCom
- England and Wales
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' for Professional Negligence - Legal 500 2020.