Michael Newham is counsel and a solicitor advocate in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice of the London office. His practice focuses on advising insurers on complex coverage issues, and also on the defence of claims and regulatory investigations against professionals.
Michael has extensive experience in advising insurers on insurance coverage issues arising under a wide range of policies, including FI, Investment Management, Trustee Liability, D&O, Crime and Civil liability, and PI Policies.
Michael's defence practice has a particular focus on claims against accountants, auditors and solicitors, both in the UK and offshore. He has experience handling and resolving claims in the Courts, by arbitration and by way of mediation.
Michael advises professionals on a wide range of regulatory issues, and has experience dealing with investigations including by the SRA, ICAEW, SFO and HMRC. He also advises professional firms on non-contentious risk related issues, and has experience of drafting engagement and related contractual documentation for firms of accountants, auditors and solicitors in particular, as well as advising professional trustees in relation to insurance aspects of pensions related transactions.
Michael often delivers presentations on a wide range of legal and risk-management issues affecting professional advisers and the insurance market.
Michael joined Mayer Brown in 2010 and, as an associate, undertook a secondment to the claims team of a major London insurer. Prior to qualifying as a solicitor Michael spent several years working within the finance function of two large commercial property companies in London.
Representative examples of Michael's experience include:
- Acting for London market insurers in relation to:
- Coverage issues under a Civil Liability Policy arising out of claims by a global financial institution to recover remediation payments required by the FCA.
- Coverage issues under Civil Liability and D&O Policies arising out of third party, regulatory and securities claims against an international finance/investment business and its directors.
- Coverage issues under an Investment Management and Professional Liability Policy arising out of claims against an international private equity fund manager.
- Coverage issues under a D&O Policy in the light of regulatory and civil claims arising in the wake of the collapse of a listed business following the discovery of fraud.
- FI coverage claims arising out of the Madoff Fraud.
- D&O and FI coverage claims arising out of the Icelandic banking collapse.
- Representing insurers in relation to claims for indemnity made under Insolvency Practitioner Fidelity Bond Insurance.
- Advising a national audit and accountancy firm in the defence of a circa. £100 million audit negligence claim against the firm arising out of its audit of an offshore entity.
- Advising a national audit firm in relation to regulatory issues arising following the self notification made by the firm.
- Advising the former partners in a large law firm and its Insurers in defending claims following the collapse of the firm.
- Advising an international law firm in relation to regulatory actions by the SRA in the wake of related investigations by HMRC.
- Advising a national accounting and offshore law firm in relation to risk issues and related engagement documentation.
- Advising an offshore law firm in relation to the defence of a claim against the firm alleging negligence in the conveyance of a private island.
BPP University Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law
The College of Law, Legal Practice Course
Rhodes University (South Africa), BCom
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' for Professional Negligence - Legal 500 2020.