Stephen Moi is a senior associate and solicitor-advocate in the firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He advises and represents clients in a variety of commercial contexts, with a focus on finance and energy related disputes and investigations.
Stephen has experience advising on pre-action and jurisdictional issues, managing cases from the commencement of proceedings through to the substantive hearing and appeal, and representing clients through settlement negotiations (including at mediation).
Stephen has also spent two years on secondment at the firm’s Hong Kong office, where he acted for a leading international bank in a global investigation arising out of a deferred prosecution agreement regarding financial crime related matters.
- Acting for a global financial institution in an enterprise-wide compliance investigation into its financial crime risk controls arising out of a deferred prosecution agreement.
- Investigation into alleged corrupt practices in the Brazilian and Canadian operations of a European company. Conducted remediation measures, including advising on related litigation, termination of third party contracts, and dismissal of employees, and engagement with internal stakeholders and the client’s key customers.
- Advising UBS in English Commercial Court proceedings concerning single-tranche CDOs and credit default swaps entered into with a municipal water company: UBS v. Kommunale Wasserwerke Leipzig GmbH and others (2014).
- Acting for an international bank in an arbitration under UNCITRAL Rules concerning disputed payment calculations in relation to a cross-border oil pipeline.
- Defending a bank in a Commercial Court trial against a claim brought by a pension fund in respect of investments made in a structured investment vehicle pursuant to a securities lending programme: Första AP-Fonden v. Bank of New York Mellon and others (2013).
- Acting for the former owners of Liverpool Football Club in High Court litigation against their lenders and the independent directors responsible for the sale of the club.
- Representing an oil refinery in LCIA arbitration proceedings concerning the supply of crude oil.
- Representing an oil company in LMAA arbitration proceedings arising out of exploration and production activities offshore Brazil.
- Advising on a dispute between a private equity group and an investment bank in relation to the purchase of a music company.
- Advising various corporates in ICC and LCIA arbitrations regarding disputed derivative contracts under ISDA Master Agreements, including in relation to allegations concerning invalidity, misselling, fraud, negligence, and foreign exchange controls.
- Advising on joint venture and shareholder disputes.
- Acting for clients in compelling witnesses to give depositions in England for use in proceedings abroad pursuant to the Hague Evidence Convention.
The College of Law, London, Legal Practice Course
University College London (University of London), LLM Master of Laws
Pembroke College, Oxford University, MA (Hons) Law
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum