Stephen Moi is a senior associate and solicitor-advocate in the firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He represents clients in a variety of commercial contexts, with a focus on finance, energy, and restructuring related disputes and investigations.
Stephen advises regularly on jurisdiction and governing law issues, and has experience managing cases from the commencement of proceedings through to substantive hearing and appeal stage, and representing clients through settlement negotiations (including at mediation), in both court and arbitral proceedings.
He also acts for clients in investigations and contentious regulatory matters - in particular, those involving allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption, money laundering, and other financial crime. Between 2016 and 2018, Stephen was seconded to the firm’s Hong Kong office, where he acted for a leading international bank in a global investigation arising out of a deferred prosecution agreement regarding financial crime related issues.
- Acting for a leading financial institution in ongoing litigation and asset recovery actions in multiple jurisdictions regarding various disputed bills of exchange relating to the same payee.
- Acting for the Administrators of a substantial real estate business in court proceedings relating to the scope and effect of various security interests in the administration estate.
- Advising UBS in English Commercial Court proceedings concerning single-tranche CDOs and credit default swaps entered into with a municipal water company: UBS v. Kommunale Wasserwerke Leipzig GmbH and others (2014).
- Defending a bank in a Commercial Court trial against a claim brought by a pension fund in respect of investments made in a structured investment vehicle pursuant to a securities lending programme: Första AP-Fonden v. Bank of New York Mellon and others (2013).
- Acting for clients in compelling witnesses to give depositions and other evidence in England for use in US and other foreign proceedings, pursuant to the Hague Evidence Convention.
- Acting for an international bank in an arbitration under UNCITRAL Rules concerning disputed payment calculations in relation to a cross-border oil pipeline.
- Representing an oil refinery in LCIA arbitration proceedings concerning the supply of crude oil.
- Representing an oil company in LMAA arbitration proceedings arising out of exploration and production activities offshore Brazil.
- Advising various corporates in ICC and LCIA arbitrations regarding disputed derivative contracts under ISDA Master Agreements, including in relation to allegations concerning invalidity, misselling, fraud, negligence, and foreign exchange controls.
- Advising the Independent Reviewer of the Connaught Review concerning the UK Financial Conduct Authority’s (FCA) supervision of the collapsed Connaught Income Fund Series 1, including conduct of the investigation and preparation of the public report. Identified lessons to be learned by the FCA, all of which were publicly accepted.
- Acting for a global financial institution in an enterprise-wide compliance investigation into its financial crime risk controls arising out of a deferred prosecution agreement.
- Advising the liquidators of a manufacturing company on investigations into, and litigation arising out of, suspicious and potentially fraudulent transactions, following a pre-packaged administration.
- Investigation into alleged corrupt practices in the Brazilian and Canadian operations of a European company. Conducted remediation measures, including advising on related litigation, termination of third party contracts, and dismissal of employees, and engagement with internal stakeholders and the client’s key customers.
- Investigation into whistleblowing allegations concerning an oil and gas client, including advising on communications with regulators.
- Investigation into whistleblowing allegations within a financial institution.
The College of Law, London, Legal Practice Course
University College London (University of London), LLM Master of Laws
Pembroke College, Oxford University, MA (Hons) Law
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum