William "Bill" Michael is a partner and Co-Chair of the White Collar Defense & Compliance practice, a Co-Chair of the Global Anti-Corruption practice, and a member of the Health Care group. He is an experienced trial attorney with more than 100 jury trials in state and federal courts focusing on complex federal white collar and regulatory defense, civil and criminal health care fraud, anti-trust and complex internal investigations. Bill was recently inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers, representing just 1% of the top trial lawyers in the country. He represents both individuals and corporations in these matters, including:
- Internal Investigations
- Criminal Antitrust
- Health Care
- Securities Fraud
- Criminal Tax
- Qui Tams
- Money Laundering
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
Representative Trial Experience
Bill has handled more than 70 jury trials in various United States District Courts around the country; including:
- Embezzlement from Union funds, bank fraud and tax evasion; (client was the President of one of the largest unions in the country).
- Insider trading;(client was a CEO of a computer software charged with selling $16 million of stock in a six week period).
- Revenue Recognition securities fraud; (client was former CFO and acquitted of all securities fraud counts after a 4 week trial).
- Money laundering and wire fraud (client was a former CEO and was acquitted of all charges after a 3 week trial).
- Environmental offenses (corporate client acquitted of environmental offenses after a 1 week trial).
- Health care fraud (client was the national sales director of a medical device company. After 7 weeks of trial and 60 government witnesses testified the government voluntarily dismissed all charges).
- Money laundering and gambling (client received probation at sentencing).
- Arms Export Control Act (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Health care fraud (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Financial institution fraud (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Bankruptcy fraud (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Tax evasion and Klein Conspiracy (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Wire taps in drug conspiracies (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Bank robberies (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Mail & wire fraud (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Firearm offenses (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Narcotics offenses (as Assistant US Attorney).
- Numerous trials in military courts.
- Numerous trials in state court.
Additionally, Bill was an instructor in trial advocacy skills to Department of Justice attorneys at the National Advocacy Center.
Selected Recent Representations
- Currently representing one of the world's largest hotel groups in the commission of a terrorist attack at one of the hotels it manages in Africa. The terrorist attack was conducted by two terrorists associated with an offshoot of Al Qaeda wherein they attacked the hotel with automatic weapons and hand grenades and took hostages, killing 20 guests and employees from numerous countries before themselves dying during the rescue attempt by local military forces. We have been advising the hotel group both during the crisis itself, as well as coordinating the law enforcement and intelligence agency investigations, while also conducting an internal investigation, including the recent interview of more than 20 individuals in Africa, and a security assessment for our client.
- Conducted an internal investigation for the audit committee of a major oil and gas company into allegations that its CEO was front-running business opportunities and usurping corporate opportunities. As a result of the internal investigation the CEO was terminated. This matter was highly publicized in the Wall Street Journal and led to shareholder action, after the company paid the CEO $95 million in severance.
- Conducted the internal investigation of a publically traded UK construction company into allegations of bribery involved with the building of a $100 million hospital in Morocco. As a result of the internal investigation, the company self disclosed to the UK Serious Fraud Office and became the first company in history to resolve a bribery matter under Section 7 of the UK Bribery Act.
- Represented a former CEO of a pharmaceutical company on channel stuffing and $300 million securities fraud charges. CEO cooperated with DOJ and SEC and received a sentence of 6 months home confinement and settled civil charges with the SEC.
- Represented a sales manager of a public company charged with securities fraud. The sales manager cooperated with DOJ and SEC and received a sentence of 6 months home confinement.
- Represented a hedge fund investigated by the SEC and involved in various litigation involving a $3.4 billion Ponzi scheme.
- Represented the audit committee of a public company during an SEC-DOJ investigation.
- Conducted an internal investigation for the audit committee of a national bank.
- Represented a medical device company in a DOJ parallel investigation involving off-label use.
- Represented a former union official in a DOJ criminal case involving embezzlement, tax and bank fraud.
- Represented an agricultural company under DOJ/EPA criminal investigation involving environmental offenses.
- Represented a hospital in an investigation into alleged false submissions in their cost report.
- Represented an individual in $41 million bankruptcy matter involving allegations of fraud.
- Represented a company conducting a FCPA investigation as a result of an acquisition of a foreign company in the insurance industry.
- Represents a company conducting a FCPA investigation as a result of an acquisition of a foreign company in the oil and gas industry.
- Represents a DME company in a DOJ parallel investigation involving improper reimbursement of power wheel-chairs.
- Represented a national bank in a False Claims Act matter involving HUD related mortgages.
- Represented a life insurance company in an investigation into a $183 million STOLI fraud scheme.
- Represented a public company that operated 84 Skilled Nursing Facilities in a DOJ health care fraud investigation, which included the execution of seven simultaneous search warrants at various facilities.
- Represented an owner and sole proprietorship company charged with E-rate fraud. The company pled guilty and immediately closed business and the owner had all charges dismissed.
- Represented a school board member under investigation for corruption.
- Represented an officer of a company in a bid-rigging Anti-trust investigation. Received a declination of prosecution.
- Represented the senior American officer of a Canadian packaged ice company in a DOJ Anti-trust investigation. The officer pled guilty to market allocation violations and received a sentence of 6 months home confinement.
- Represented a health care insurer in an internal investigation involving $50 million billing fraud by providers.
- Represented a medical device company conducting due diligence on an acquisition of another company which is under DOJ investigation.
- Represented a former bank vice president in 5 state court civil fraud lawsuits involving allegations of $35 million fraud and related federal criminal case.
- Represented a defense contractor in civil False Claims Act matter, which was dismissed on our motion.
- Represented three pharmacies in civil False Claims Act matter, which were all dismissed on our motion.
- Represented a government contractor in civil False Claims Act matter which was settled favorable on a common law claim.
- Represented a hospital in civil False Claims Act matter which was settled favorable on a common law claim.
- Represented several defendants in court appointed matters involving electronic surveillance.
Prior Department of Justice Experience
- Served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of Florida, including as a Deputy Chief and head of a branch office.
- Served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Minnesota.
- Served as the National & International Security Coordinator and also as the Terrorism Coordinator.
Prior Military Experience
- Served with the 82nd Airborne Division as a judge advocate.
- Became the second Army lawyer to ever graduate from Special Forces Officer Qualification Course (earning a Green Beret).
- Served as a judge advocate with 7th Special Forces Group advising on law of war issues and counter-narcotics missions.
- Served in the Chief of Staff of the Army’s Office conducting oversight on Special Access Programs (“black ops”) and resolved a classified investigation into all Army Special Access Programs.
- Served as a Detachment Commander of a Special Forces “A” Team with 11th Special Forces Group conducting counter-narcotics missions.
NOVA University, JD
Gustavus Adolphus College
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Partner of the Year, former law firm, 2010
- Named a Minnesota Super Lawyer, 2006-2011
- Top 40 Criminal Defense Attorneys, Who's Who in Criminal Defense, 2007-2009
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Elmer H. Walshauser Author's Award
- Department of Justice Director's Award for Outstanding Performance, 1996