Jonathan Medow is a senior trial lawyer who has practiced with Mayer Brown since 1983. Throughout his career, Jonathan’s practice has focused heavily on the defense of major accounting firms in significant cases across the country. He has represented Ernst & Young, Deloitte & Touche, KPMG, Arthur Andersen, Grant Thornton and Crowe Horwath.
Jonathan has also successfully defended a number of class actions challenging public company mergers. Recent examples include his defense of shareholder attacks on transactions involving iPCS, Prologis, Pre-Paid Legal Services, Renaissance Learning and WCA Waste Corporation.
Over the entirety of his career, Jonathan has handled a variety of matters in a number of fields. He has extensive trial experience, including in disputes between natural gas producers and pipelines, challenges to dead-hand poison pills, and a host of bankruptcy matters (contested plan proceedings, valuation disputes, etc.). He has successfully argued appeals in various courts, including in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Jonathan has also represented on a pro bono basis a number of indigent defendants charged with serious felonies, up to and including first degree murder.
Among the comments clients have made about Jonathan are: he is “as good as any I’ve seen” (Chambers USA 2007); he “does a fantastic job – he is capable, smart and works hard” (Chambers USA 2006); and he is an “expert” in the field of securities litigation (Chambers USA 2008).
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Jonathan served as a Law Clerk to The Honorable Susan Getzendanner, US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (1981-1983).
- SEC Investigation of Waste Management. Negotiated on behalf of Arthur Andersen a resolution of one of the largest investigations of a major accounting firm in Commission history.
- IKON Securities Litigation. Obtained summary judgment in Ernst & Young’s favor in a major market fraud case.
- Asche Arbitration. Defeated all claims asserted against Ernst & Young during a 30+ day arbitration initiated by a bankruptcy trustee.
- Grand Court Lifestyles Litigation. Obtained partial summary judgment in Deloitte & Touche’s favor on claims filed by a committee of unsecured creditors, and thereafter negotiated a favorable settlement of this and related proceedings.
- Alabama Hospital Association v. Ernst &Young. Negotiated a favorable resolution on behalf of Ernst & Young of claims arising out of a series of health care mergers.
- Charter Communications Security Litigation. Negotiated a favorable resolution on behalf of Arthur Andersen in a major market fraud case.
- Confidential SEC Investigations. Successfully represented auditors and audit firms in various SEC investigations closed without the institution of charges.
- People v. Larry Lee. Obtained an acquittal of a defendant wrongfully charged with aggravated sexual assault.
- Magma Power v. Dow Chemical. Obtained judgment in Dow’s favor on claims asserted under Section 16(b) of the Securities Exchange Act, and thereafter defended the judgment on appeal.
- In re Sheffield Properties. Successfully established the valuation of the One Magnificent Mile office and retail tower in Chicago.
- Natural Gas Pipeline v. The Anschutz Corporation. Successfully arbitrated a claim for the return of substantial proceeds.
Harvard Law School, JD, magna cum laude, Board of Editors, Law Review
Stanford University, BA, with distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US District Court for the District of Colorado
- US District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan