Brian F. McKenna is a partner of Mayer Brown. Brian regularly represents private equity sponsors, alternative investment funds, financial institutions and multinational corporations in a range of corporate and investment transactions, including cross-border mergers and acquisitions, minority and control investments, secondary and fund-of-funds transactions and capital market offerings. His practice includes advising on investment into Greater China and Southeast Asia, and he has significant experience in the insurance, financial services and TMT (technology, media and telecommunications) sectors. He also represents financial investors, including sovereign wealth, in connection with a variety of outbound investment activity into North America and Europe.
- Advised The D. E. Shaw Group in its potential acquisition of an interest in an operating business in Taiwan.
- Advised HarbourVest Partners, LLC in connection with co-investments and secondary investment transactions in China, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.
- Advised One Equity Partners, the principal investment arm of JPMorgan, in its spinout and related primary and secondary transactional matters.
- Advised Alibaba in its sale of a US$1.6 billion stake to a consortium of investors including Silver Lake Partners, DST Global, Temasek Holdings and Yunfeng Capital.
- Advised Hanwha SolarOne Co. Ltd in its US$2 billion acquisition of Hanwha Q CELLS.
- Advised AIF Capital in connection with the going-private transaction of Charm Communications, a Nasdaq-listed Chinese business.
- Advised Davidson Kempner Capital Management in the acquisition of Korean shipping loans.
- Advised Capital Group in its acquisition of an equity stake in Intas Pharmaceuticals, one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in India, from ChrysCapital, an India-focused private equity firm.
- Advised a sovereign wealth fund in its direct investment in the management company of an alternative asset manager.
- Advised a sovereign wealth fund in a sizeable U.S. commercial real estate investment alongside a private real estate manager and a potential separate account with such manager.
- Advised Stone Point Capital and Cunningham Lindsey in the acquisition of the loss adjusting business of GAB Robins.
- Advised a digital payments business in connection with a potential investment transaction in a digital payments and e-commerce company.
- Advised a multinational insurance corporation in its agreement with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York to reduce the debt owed the FRBNY by US$25 billion.
- Advised a multinational insurance corporation and AIA Group Limited (AIA) in AIA’s spin-off and US$20.51 billion initial public offering and listing in Hong Kong.
- Advised a multinational insurance corporation in the US$6.45 billion, US$6 billion and US$2 billion sell-downs of its stake in AIA.
- Advised AIA in its US$1.7 billion acquisition of ING’s Malaysian insurance businesses.
- Advised a multinational insurance corporation in its US$2.16 billion sale of its 97% interest in Nan Shan Life Insurance Company (Taiwan) to Ruen Chen Investment Holding Co. and Pou Chen Corporation.
- Advised a multinational insurance corporation in its sale of a US$1.2 billion stake in PICC Property and Casualty by means of a block trade.
- Advised AIA in its bancassurance partnership with Citibank to distribute its insurance products to 11 countries in the Asia Pacific region.
- Advised Melco Crown Entertainment in its offering of RMB 2.3 billion of 3.75% bonds due 2013, the first RMB-denominated bond to be issued by a company listed on the NASDAQ.
- Advised MCE Finance Limited in its offering of US$600 million aggregate principal amount of 10.25% Senior Notes and the subsequent exchange offer for such bonds.
- Advised Lafarge Shui On Cement Limited in its Reg S offering of RMB 1.5 billion aggregate principal amount of 9.00% Guaranteed Notes due 2014.
Cornell Law School, JDEditor, the Journal of Law and Public Policy and the Legal Information Institute
Brown University, BA (Honors), magna cum laude
- Hong Kong
- New York