Julio M. Martínez is an associate in the firm’s Mexico City office and a member of Mayer Brown’s Global Banking & Finance Practice and Energy Group. His experience centers in project finance and structured finance deals, both cross border and domestic. Julio has been recently involved as counsel to the lenders in a syndicated financing of a solar photovoltaic project in Mexico (Aguascalientes). He has also represented the credit parties in the financing and project management of photovoltaic and wind power projects, as well as in complex warehouse financing transactions. Julio has also advised sponsors in connection with EPC and O&M contracts, storage and distribution agreements, as well as investment in infrastructure projects across several industries, including power generation, natural gas, gasoline retail and manufacturing. In his finance specialization, Julio has also advised lenders (banks and other institutions) in several commercial loans and cash-flow financings. JD degree from ITAM and LLM from Columbia Law School. Fluent in English and Spanish (native).
Project Finance & Energy
- Currently representing the sponsor in a syndicated project finance of a wind power project in Mexico (Zacatecas). Previously advised the sponsor in the negotiation of the power purchase agreements, as well as with real estate and corporate matters arising in the greenfield development of the project.
- Ongoing representation of the sponsor in a cross-border project finance of a solar photovoltaic project (Veracruz).
- Represented the lenders in a syndicated multi-currency project finance of a solar photovoltaic project in Mexico (Aguascalientes).
- Lead counsel to the sponsor in the financing of two photovoltaic power generation plants (Chihuahua) for a total amount of ~USD $70 Million.
- Successfully represented the developer of two photovoltaic power generation plants (Chihuahua) in the sale of 75% of its interest in the projects, including the negotiation of an investment and a shareholder agreements for each of the projects.
- Lead counsel to the acquirer of four wind power generation projects in Jalisco, Veracruz, Querétaro and Zacatecas.
- Represented an international corporation in the acquisition of a cogeneration project (Nuevo León) while in construction, as well as in the negotiation of a steam supply agreement for the initial phase of the project.
- Representation of a downstream company in the negotiation of storage agreements with different storage terminal developers (Jalisco and Estado de México).
- Successfully advised a Mexican commodities trading company in two public bidding processes for the sale of imported coal to Comisión Federal de Electricidad.
- Advised a Mexican commodities trading company in their natural gas operations.
Structured Finance & Finance
- Currently representing the lead arranger in a warehouse financing transaction involving vehicle sales.
- Successfully represented the borrower in a ~USD $100 Million warehouse financing transaction involving natural gas vehicle conversions and vehicle leasing.
- Represented a private investment fund as lender in an credit portfolio private securitization in Mexico.
- Represented the lenders in a club deal in a $1600 Million Pesos loan to a sportswear manufacturer and retailer.
Columbia Law School, LLM
Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
magna cum laude
- New York