Julio M. Martínez Rivas is an associate in the firm’s Mexico City office and a member of Mayer Brown’s Global Energy Group and Banking & Finance Practice. Julio is experienced in project finance deals for clients in the energy and infrastructure sectors. He has also counseled on matters involving mergers and acquisitions of photovoltaic and wind power generation projects, as well as in their development and operations. His experience also includes transactional and regulatory counseling in the E&P and gasoline retail sectors. JD degree from ITAM and master’s degree from Columbia Law School. Fluent in English and Spanish (native).
- Currently advising BAS, a Spanish developer, as seller, in the creation a joint venture with a Mexican investment fund for the operation of Kaixo Solar I & II, two photovoltaic power generation plants in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua.
- Successfully represented an E&P company before the National Hydrocarbons Commission (CNH) in the bidding processes for Rounds 2.1 and 2.4, resulting in the award of contracts with for E&P in shallow and deep waters, respectively.
- Successfully represented BAS as acquirer of four wind power generation projects in Jalisco, Veracruz, Querétaro and Zacatecas, Mexico. Ongoing counsel in their development.
- Successfully advised a Mexican commodities trading company in two public bidding processes for the sale of imported coal to Comisión Federal de Electricidad.
- Advised a Mexican commodities trading company in their natural gas operations.
- Successfully represented the Sponsor in the financing of Kaixo Solar I & II, two photovoltaic power generation plants in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, for a total amount of USD $70 Million.
- Participated as counsel of the Sponsor in the financing of a combined cycle power plant in Nuevo León, Mexico, before a Mexican development bank.
- Participated as counsel of the Sponsor in the financing of a simple cycle power plant in Tamaulipas, Mexico, before a Mexican commercial bank.
Columbia Law School, LLM
Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent), magna cum laude