Matt Lilley is counsel in the Banking & Finance practice of the London office. He has extensive experience acting for lenders, sponsors, funds and borrowers on lending transactions in the infrastructure and funds finance sectors.
Matt's funds finance experience covers many asset classes and fund structures (including private equity funds, credit funds, infrastructure funds, secondary funds, real estate funds, emerging market funds) and he has advised on a wide range of transactions covering subscription facilities, NAV/asset back facilities, hybrid facilities and co-investment facilities). His practice also includes corporate infrastructure financing (both acquisition financing and refinancings), acting for both lenders and sponsors/borrowers on a variety of funding structures, including traditional bank financings, institutional funding arrangements and private placement issuances, and establishment of common terms platforms.
Matt joined Mayer Brown in 2021.
Selected experience includes: (* denotes prior to joining Mayer Brown)
- Advising a leading private equity fund manager in relation to subscription facilities for various funds of over EUR 10 billion.*
- Advising a leading emerging markets fund manager in relation to a variety of fund financing transactions (pre-close bridges, subscription facilities and NAV/hybrid facilities).*
- Advising the syndicates of lenders in relation to subscription facilities to be provided to various funds providing preferred equity fund solutions.*
- Advising the lender in relation to an umbrella subscription facility provided to a number of funds under management by a single fund manager.*
- Advising the syndicate of lenders in relation to an umbrella subscription facility provided to a number of funds under management by a leading private equity fund manager.*
- Advising the consortium of sponsors in relation to the acquisition financing, common terms refinancing and subsequent disposal of a Nordic district heating provider.*
- Advising the sponsor in relation to the acquisition financing of a Norwegian North Sea gas company.*
- Advising the syndicate of lenders in relation to the acquisition of a minority interest in a German electricity distribution company.*
- Advising the sponsor in relation to the financing of a minority interest in a Spanish electricity distribution network.*
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, LPC
University of Oxford, MA (Oxon)
- England and Wales
- Listed as a key lawyer for Fund Finance - Legal 500 2022 and 2024.