Noah Liben is a Litigation & Dispute Resolution senior associate in Mayer Brown's New York office. His practice focuses on representing companies in complex commercial disputes. In the financial services sector, a significant portion of his practice consists of representing institutions in securities litigations, government investigations, and other disputes including actions pertaining to benchmark rate-setting, and the marketing and sale of residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS).
Noah's other recent engagements include defending a bank’s corporate trust department against RMBS investor suits and other actions, representing companies in tortious interference and improper solicitation cases, False Claims Act defense on behalf of a major telecommunications company, representing a multinational transportation company in federal and state antitrust investigations, and defending pharmaceutical companies in nationwide product liability actions. He has represented clients in state and federal court, as well as in JAMS and FINRA arbitration proceedings. Noah is experienced in managing all phases of discovery – including in complex cases involving multiple jurisdictions and implicating foreign data privacy regimes – and regularly advises clients on best practices for document preservation, collection and production. Additionally, a member of the Electronic Discovery & Information Governance practice, he has helped edit two chapters of the Electronic Discovery Deskbook, a treatise published by PLI. Noah works with retained outside vendors and expert consultants to ensure that his clients receive the best possible service.
Noah’s significant pro bono practice includes representing clients in Family Court, Immigration Court, housing discrimination suits, and a social services organization in a contract dispute. In 2012 Noah won the New York State Bar Association President’s Pro Bono Service Award for the 12th Judicial District, for his representation of a domestic violence victim in divorce, child support, visitation, and family offense matters. He joined the firm in 2010.
- Represented plaintiffs in housing discrimination suit against landlord who refused to rent apartments based on plaintiffs' use of New York City LINC vouchers as a source of income.
- Represented leading global bank in multiple investor lawsuits alleging fraud and misrepresentation in the marketing and sale of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Defended brand name pharmaceutical companies in multiple product liability and failure to warn cases involving ingestion of generic products.
- Chief associate client contact in representation of multinational transportation company in antitrust investigation brought by New York Attorney General and U.S. Department of Justice.
- Secured favorable settlement on behalf of a company whose competitor had tortiously interfered with the company's business contracts by poaching its clients.
- Obtained favorable settlement terms on behalf of company whose former employee had improperly solicited and poached top-level executives.
- First-chair in obtaining divorce, custody, and child support for domestic violence victim. Awarded New York State Bar Association President’s Pro Bono Service Award for the 12th Judicial District for representation in this case.
- Negotiated favorable settlement as lead attorney representing nonprofit social services organization in a contract dispute with a former outside consultant.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of petition brought by our client's estranged father seeking custody of her child, and secured a judgment of full custody on her behalf.
- Lead associate representing global bank in multiple putative class actions alleging the manipulation of the LIBOR interest rate.
- Represent major telecommunications company in False Claims Act litigation.
- Represent corporate trust department of leading global bank as national coordinating counsel in dozens of investor, foreclosure and other litigations to ensure the trustee's interests are being adequately represented.
- First-chair in representing unaccompanied minors in Special Immigrant Juvenile Status proceedings and green card applications.
Fordham University School of Law, JD
Staff member, Urban Law Journal; Vice President of the Student Bar Association; Domestic Violence Awareness Center, board member and Courtroom Advocates Project coordinator
Columbia University/Jewish Theological Seminary, BA, magna cum laude
- New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Member, New York County Lawyers’ Association
- Executive Committee, UJA-Federation Young Lawyers Division
- Mayer Brown Summer Associate Committee, Chair of the Summer Mentor Program
- Mayer Brown New York Pro Bono Committee