"Drawing on useful ancillary know-how in advertising and marketing, Rosita Li is a similarly effective tactician and a potent force in disputes."World Trademark Review 1000 (2017)
Rosita Li is a partner of Mayer Brown. She joined Mayer Brown (formerly known as Johnson Stokes & Master and then JSM) in 1992.
Rosita has 26 years of experience dealing with both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property and information technology matters in Hong Kong and the PRC. She handles the full spectrum of intellectual property work from litigation to licensing and portfolio management, advising clients on their trademark portfolio; enforcement actions; applications for interlocutory injunctions; filing criminal complaints with the Hong Kong Customs; trade mark oppositions; domain name disputes; and drafting and advising on commercial agreements.
Rosita has presented a number of internal and external presentations on intellectual property, covering topics on Introduction to Intellectual Property (Trade Marks, Copyright, Patents, Trade Secrets), Music Copyright in Hong Kong, Copyright Licensing, Anton Piller Injunctions, Tackling Shadow Companies, and Conduct Proceedings under Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy, to name just a few. She has been recognised as a leading individual in the Intellectual Property field by Chambers Asia Pacific (2011-2019). She is also a Recommended Lawyer in Intellectual Property according to Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015, 2016) and ranked in Intellectual Property (International Firms) in China by Chambers Global (2015-2018).
Rosita is the Vice-Chairman of the Licensing Executives Society China, Hong Kong Sub-Chapter and is also a member of APAA (Hong Kong group) and INTA.
She speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Advises many large companies on their trademark portfolio and enforcement actions in Hong Kong and the PRC. These companies include a leading bank in Hong Kong, many Hong Kong’s major real estate developers, a worldwide renowned technology company, a world’s leading luxury hotel resort and casino, and a multinational manufacturer of product ranges including personal care, household cleaning, laundry detergents, prescription drugs and disposable nappies.
- Assists clients in filing criminal complaints with the Hong Kong Customs and applying for interlocutory injunctions.
- Assisted a leading company in the research and development, manufacturing, quality control and scientific research of traditional Chinese medicine in a worldwide trademark dispute involving trademark oppositions in several jurisdictions and a trademark infringement action in the US.
- Experienced in executing and defending Anton Piller Orders and Rosita has acted as a supervising solicitor in the execution of an Anton Piller Order.
- Assisted in and handled a number of IP litigation. She acted for a cassette manufacturer and supplier in defending a patent infringement litigation in Hong Kong. The case was one of the very few patent infringement cases which went to trial.
- Acted for collecting societies and record companies in enforcing their rights.
- Advised a Michelin star restaurant in its dispute over the franchise agreement.
- Has handled over 250 trademark oppositions (in English and in Chinese) in Hong Kong and China.
- Has extensive experience in preparing domain name dispute complaints in English and in Chinese and successfully handled over 50 domain name dispute complaints including retrieving the domain name "jsm.com" and "mayerbrown.cn".
- Successfully handled over 100 company name disputes for various companies most of which are listed companies in Hong Kong.
- Advises and works with leading advertising, PR and marketing agencies on their projects including advising, drafting and negotiating artist agreements and advising on the IP issues in their advertising campaigns.
- Drafts and advises on commercial agreements including licence sponsorship agreements; artiste agreements; franchise agreement.
- Acted for a celebrity chef in his franchise agreement with the operator of a Macau hotel for operation of a restaurant in the hotel.
- Advises a number of educational institutions in Hong Kong and assists them in reviewing and drafting IP policies, licence agreements, and collaboration agreement.
The University of Manchester, LLB
The College of Law, Guildford
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- International Trademark Association
- Asian Patent Attorney Association
- Vice-Chairman - Licensing Executives Society China - Hong Kong Sub-Chapter
Rosita has been ranked in a number of directories including the following:
- Recognised as Leading Individual, Intellectual Property (International Firms) in China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011-2019)
- Ranked in Intellectual Property (International Firms) in China – Chambers Global (2015-2018)
- "Drawing on useful ancillary know-how in advertising and marketing, Rosita Li is a similarly effective tactician and a potent force in disputes." – World Trademark Review 1000 (2017)
- Silver Band - Trademark Enforcement and Litigation (Hong Kong) – World Trademark Review 1000 (2016-2019)
- Silver Band - Prosecution and Strategy (Hong Kong) – World Trademark Review 1000 (2018, 2019)
- Recommended Lawyer, Intellectual Property (Hong Kong) – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2015)
- Ranked in World Trademark Review 1000 (2014 & 2015)
- "Her team is very responsive to our matters, and their knowledge of IP is very strong." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)
- Endorsed as Leading Lawyer - Intellectual Property (Hong Kong) – Asialaw Leading Lawyers (2012, 2013)
- Leading Practitioner: China (Patent: Greater China International Firms) – Expert Guides (2011, 2012)