Jeong Ah Joy is an Intellectual Property associate in Mayer Brown's Palo Alto office. Joy's practice focuses on representing technology companies in complex patent litigation and patent prosecution matters in the electrical, computer, and mechanical arts. She practices before federal district courts, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the U.S. International Trace Commission (337 Investigations) and the U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board (inter partes review proceedings). Joy has experience across a broad spectrum of technologies, including telecommunications, networking, Internet service, smart phones, vehicle safety radar and laser systems, security surveillance cameras and software, digital cameras, TVs and business application software.
While in law school, Joy interned at Scientific Atlanta, a Cisco company, assisting in IP portfolio management. She also collaborated with M.B.A. and Ph.D. students to commercialize an online video vetting software, under Emory's Technological Innovation: Generating Economic Results Program.
During her undergraduate studies, Joy worked at Bioacoustic Research Laboratory at Beckman Institute for three years, where she researched the harmful effects of ultrasound imaging and contrast agents. During the summers, she interned in Hong Kong, where she programmed advanced imaging processing codes to aid in uncovering malignant tumors, and in Germany, where she designed, built, and tested power converter circuits. She was the President of the International Association of Exchange of Students for Technical Experience for the student local chapter.
- Inter Partes Review proceedings, representing Toyota (PTAB)
- American Vehicular Sciences LLC v. Toyota Motor Corporation, et. al. (E.D. Mich.)
- Bosch Security Systems Inc. et al v. Criminal Activity Surveillance LLC (D. Del.)
- In the Matter of Certain Video Analytics Software, Systems, Components Thereof, and Products Containing Same (ITC), representing Bosch.
- ObjectVideo, Inc. v. Robert Bosch GmbH, et al. (E.D. Vir.)
- Criminal Activity Surveillance, LLC v. ADT Security Services, Inc., et al. (E.D. Tex.)
- In the Matter of Certain Mobile Telephones and Modems (ITC), representing Sony.
- Shared Memory Graphics LLC v. Apple Inc., et al. (N.D. Cal.)
Emory University School of Law, JD, Managing Editor, Emory International Law Review
Seoul National University, Exchange Program – Law
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BS, Dean's List; Electrical Engineering
- New York
- Not admitted in California. Practicing under the supervision of firm principals.
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Member, Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York (KALAGNY)
- Member, Asian American Bar Association of New York (AABANY)
- Member, International Association of Korean Lawyers (IAKL)