Joy is an Intellectual Property associate in Mayer Brown's Palo Alto office. Joy advises clients on IP enforcement and IP transactional matters.
Joy represents companies in complex patent litigation before District Courts, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board (inter partes review and covered business method proceedings) and the U.S. International Trade Commission (Section 337 Investigations). Joy’s technical knowledge spans widely from telecommunications standards (wire and wireless), semiconductors and consumer electronics to business application software, online advertising algorithms, speech recognition systems, and automotive laser and radar systems.
Joy’s notable litigation-related achievements include: winning motions to transfer venue that were affirmed by the Federal Circuit on behalf of one of the Big Four technology companies and the world’s largest automotive manufacturer; winning a motion to dismiss suit based on lack of standing on behalf of the world’s largest telecommunications company; playing a vital role in successfully invalidating all challenged claims of a patent ruled on by the PTAB; and identifying key prior art and licensing defense to secure swift and favorable pre-trial settlements.
Joy has substantial experience in a full spectrum of patent subjects, including patent prosecution, portfolio analysis, offensive monetization strategies and cross-license negotiation. Joy is a registered U.S. patent attorney.
Joy leverages her decade-long IP litigation experience to provide strategic counseling to clients in connection with issues related to IP, IT, and data protection arising in a variety of corporate and financial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, acquisitions and divestitures of IP and technology assets, joint development arrangements, technology services agreements and supply arrangements. She also has experience advising clients in obtaining merger clearance from foreign antitrust enforcement agencies.
Joy has native fluency in Korean. She regularly assists clients in litigation and transactional matters related to Korea. Such experience includes: leading all phases of litigation from pleadings, discovery and motion practice to pre-trial activities and appeal in a high-stakes patent infringement case involving a Korean government-backed research institute; reviewing submissions to the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center related to a Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy complaint involving a Korean public interest organization; and drafting and negotiating a title license agreement on behalf of a leading Korean video game developer.
During law school, Joy interned at Scientific Atlanta, a Cisco company, where she gained experience in global IP portfolio management. While earning her degree in Electrical Engineering, Joy completed research projects in the fields of medical devices, advanced imaging processing and power converter circuits in Illinois, Germany and Hong Kong, respectively, gaining valuable engineering experience.
- Inter Partes Review proceedings, representing Toyota (PTAB)
- American Vehicular Sciences LLC v. Toyota Motor Corporation, et. al. (E.D. Mich.)
- Bosch Security Systems Inc. et al v. Criminal Activity Surveillance LLC (D. Del.)
- In the Matter of Certain Video Analytics Software, Systems, Components Thereof, and Products Containing Same (ITC), representing Bosch.
- ObjectVideo, Inc. v. Robert Bosch GmbH, et al. (E.D. Vir.)
- Criminal Activity Surveillance, LLC v. ADT Security Services, Inc., et al. (E.D. Tex.)
- In the Matter of Certain Mobile Telephones and Modems (ITC), representing Sony.
- Shared Memory Graphics LLC v. Apple Inc., et al. (N.D. Cal.)
Emory University School of Law, JDManaging Editor, Emory International Law Review
Seoul National University, Exchange Program – Law
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BSDean's List; Electrical Engineering
- New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Member, Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York (KALAGNY)
- Member, Asian American Bar Association of New York (AABANY)
- Member, International Association of Korean Lawyers (IAKL)