Derek Lee is a Senior Associate of Mayer Brown. Derek joined Mayer Brown in 2007 as a trainee and spent six months on secondment to London. Derek has substantial experience in advising international and local insurers in relation to Employees' Compensation, Public Liability, Motor Vehicles and Property Damage claims, as well as defending government departmental summonses (such as Labour Department summonses). He has represented and defended occupiers and construction companies in cases involving serious personal injury and death. Derek has also advised clients on policy-related issues, including employees' compensation policies and contractors' all risks insurance policies.
Derek has given numerous presentations to insurer and corporate insured on a broad spectrum of topics, including building management, public liability, employer's liability, product liability, claims investigation and prevention, as well as risk management.
Derek is an accredited general mediator. He also has work experience as an engineer prior to him becoming a lawyer.
- Successfully argued and struck out (without involvement of Counsel) an employees' compensation claim on the ground that the same was brought out of time under the Employees' Compensation Ordinance (Cap. 282) (余 琼 珠 對 牛 奶 有 限 公 司 t/a 7 ELEVEN FOOD STORE  HKDC 710; DCEC 843/2017)
- Handled various high value claims for catastrophic injury cases (from horse-riding accidents, motor vehicle and work-related accidents) resulting in expeditious out of Court resolutions.
- Defence of a product liability claim involving milk contamination resulting in a pre-action nominal settlement for the Defendant’s insurer.
- Successfully dismissed an application for the substitution of an existing expert medical report with a fresh expert medical report (Zou Xixiang v. Johnson Cleaning Services Co Ltd DCEC1286/2010)
- Successful defence of various third party claims against property managers resulting in nominal settlements.
- Defence of various claims against schools resulting in expeditious settlements for the Defendant’s insurers.
- Handled various claims by teachers against schools for employees’ compensation and common law damages resulting in a nominal settlement and/or a global settlement.
- Handled various claims arising out of industrial accidents, notably involving confined spaces and construction sites.
Manchester Metropolitan University, CPEDistinction
The University of Hong Kong, Bachelor of Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
- Hong Kong
- Visiting lecturer (Part-time), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2016)
- Judge of the International ADR Mooting Competition jointly organised by the City University of Hong Kong, CIETAC and Columbia Law School (2013 and 2014)