Maximilian Kücking is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group at Mayer Brown's Düsseldorf office.
Maximilian advises national and international clients in the high tech, life science and biotechnology industries on intellectual property law, specializing in patent litigation matters. He has represented clients in matters relating to a wide range of technologies including semiconductors, telecommunications systems and products, LED, network communications, medical devices and pharmaceuticals.
Maximilian also advises clients in mergers and acquisitions involving intellectual property and information technology, including analysis of intellectual property implications and due diligence as well as on national and multinational registration and enforcement of trademarks and designs.
Maximilian studied law at the Humboldt-University of Berlin with an early focus on intellectual property law.
During his legal clerkship, Maximilian worked for a different international business law firm in Düsseldorf in the field of patent and utility model litigation and for an international law office in Tokyo focusing on trans-national economic deals between Europe and Japan.
Patent / Patent Litigation
- Advised leading U.S. biopharmaceutical company on allegations of patent infringement in relation to a therapeutic antibody drug.
- Advised a leading global developer and manufacturer of veterinary medicines and services on the pan-European registration of supplementary protection certificates (SPCs) for animal vaccines.
- Advised leading designer of semiconductors and processors regarding the infringement of patents in the field of semiconductor technology.
- Represented Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer in multiple German patent infringement proceedings against leading smartphone manufacturers. The cases involved coordination with parallel German invalidity proceedings and U.S. litigation.
- Advised a leading German automotive supplier and engineering company regarding the alleged infringement of patents related to motor vehicle structures in multinational proceeding.
Trademark / Trademark Litigation
- Advised a multinational specialty pharmaceutical company on the national and international registration of trademarks and the strategic positioning of its trademark portfolio.
- Represented a Germany based manufacturer of dental solutions in multiple trademark enforcement proceedings before the District Court in Cologne and out of court.
- Advised a German association for corporate control in the healthcare sector on trademark enforcement and national and international trademark applications.
- Advised an outdoor clothing manufacturer on national and international trademark registration and management of its trademark portfolio.
- Advised a German real estate company on the national and international registration of trademarks and management of its trademark portfolio.
- Advised a German travel agency on international trademark enforcement and the national and international registration of trademarks and management of its trademark portfolio.
- Represented a diving equipment manufacturer in multinational proceeding against a European competitor.
- Advised an e-commerce company on market entry and the establishment of a trademark portfolio.
- Advised an American biopharmaceutical company on the acquisition of a German biotechnology company, specializing in the development and commercialization of therapeutics for the treatment of chronic hepatitis delta virus (HDV).
- Advised German private equity firm on the acquisition of a group of companies focused on digitization and cloud transformation in relation to IP, IT and data protection.
- Advised German private equity firm on the acquisition of a group of companies, involving providers of data center services and of software development, respectively, in relation to IP, IT and data protection.
- Advised a multinational media conglomerate on the acquisition of several publishing and media companies with a focus on anime and manga productions.
- Advised US private equity fund on the acquisition of a multinational automotive supplier, in particular with regard to the transfer of a number of research and development (R&D) agreements.
- Advised a leading German automotive supplier and engineering company on the sale of several business divisions in Europe.
- Advised a multinational tire manufacturing company on the acquisition of several wholesale and retail companies focused on the distribution of tires and accessories and the provision of services.
- Advised a Dutch investment fund on the acquisition of several companies focused on the development and distribution of baby and toddler products such as strollers, car seats and accessories.
- Advised multiple US financial institutions in grant of securities over European and German patent portfolios.
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Düsseldorf, 2018
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), Regional Court (Landgericht) of Mönchengladbach, 2016-2018
First State Law Examination, Humboldt University of Berlin, 2016
- Member of the German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- Member of the Association of Intellectual Property Experts (VPP)
- Member of the German-Japanese Association of Jurists (DJJV)
- Member of the Japanese-German Business Association (DJW)