"Recommended lawyer" in the area of Dispute Resolution - Disputes in the Financial Services SectorLegal 500 Deutschland 2018
Jan Kraayvanger is a partner in the Frankfurt office of Mayer Brown's Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He joined the firm in 2002 and advises national and international clients on a broad range of commercial arbitration and litigation. He has experience both as an arbitrator as well as counsel. Jan has extensive expertise in all aspects of the litigation process and arbitral matters, including corporate and post -M&A disputes, financial disputes, commercial disputes and cartel law disputes
Notable Engagements as Arbitrator
- DIS arbitration regarding the lease agreement of a car dealer.
- International ad-hoc arbitration regarding claims under a technology transfer agreement.
- International DIS arbitration regarding the termination of a managing director service agreement (as chairman).
- International DIS arbitration regarding compensation claims of a managing director (as chairman).
- International DIS arbitration regarding claims under a product license agreement.
- DIS arbitration regarding a post M&A dispute (as chairman).
Notable Engagements as Counsel in Arbitral Proceedings
- Two ICC arbitrations regarding damage claims in connection with the engineering and construction of industrial plants.
- DIS arbitration regarding payment claims in the telecommunications industry.
- Ad hoc arbitration regarding claims for commission in the automotive industry.
- Ad hoc arbitration regarding a hotel lease agreement.
- ICC arbitration regarding damage claims in connection with an IT outsourcing project in the aviation industry.
- ICC arbitration regarding damage claims between two automotive manufacturers.
- CIETAC arbitration regarding warranty claims in connection with the delivery of a production plant.
- Two DIS arbitrations regarding post M&A disputes in the chemical industry.
- DIS arbitration regarding a long term delivery agreement in the solar industry.
- ICC arbitration regarding warranty claims in connection with the construction of an industrial plant.
Notable Litigation Engagements
- Representation of BASF AG in several damage claims procedures in Germany against the members of the “vitamin cartel”.
- Representation of BASF AG and Wintershall AG in a multi-billion dollar suit against Moncrief Oil International, Inc. regarding the exploitation of the Jushno-Russkoye gas field in Siberia/Russia.
- Representation of Gazprom in a multi-billion dollar suit against Moncrief Oil International, Inc.
- Representation of UBS AG against a municipal company before the Regional Court of Leipzig regarding claims stemming from financial products which amount to more than EUR 300 million.
- Representation of various Asian companies in connection with the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Bankhaus AG worth EUR 250 million.
- Representation of two banks against HETA Asset Resolution AG worth about EUR 350 million.
- Defence of compensation claims against the subsidiary of a credit institution for bringing about a bankruptcy case worth approximately EUR 580 million.
Doctor’s degree (PhD in law), University of Mannheim, 2003
Second State Law Examination (bar exam)Frankenthal, 2002
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat)Frankenthal and Frankfurt am Main, 2000-2002
First State Law ExaminationMannheim, 2000 Universities of Mannheim and the West of England, 1994-2000
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- German British Lawyers' Association
- German American Lawyers' Association (DAJV)
- German Lawyers' Association (DAV)
- Frankfurt Bar Association
- German Institution of Arbitration
- "Recommended lawyer" in the area of Dispute Resolution - Disputes in the Financial Services Sector – Legal 500 Deutschland 2018
- Jan Kraayvanger acts "quickly and with oversight". – Legal 500 Deutschland 2017
- "Recommended lawyer" in the areas of Dispute Resolution - Arbitration and Commercial Disputes – Legal 500 Deutschland 2016
- "Jan Kraayvanger made a remarkable development" – JUVE Handbook 2014/2015
- "solution oriented and stringent work" (competitor) – JUVE Handbook 2013/2014