"Recommended lawyer" in the area of Dispute Resolution - Disputes in the Financial Services SectorLegal 500 Deutschland 2018
Jan Kraayvanger is a partner in the Frankfurt office of Mayer Brown’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice.
Jan Kraayvanger advises clients in complex national and cross-border disputes. He is an experienced counsel in out-of-court negotiations, civil litigation as well as arbitration. He also serves regularly as arbitrator in commercial disputes. Jan’s practice has a specific industry focus on the financial and insurance sector. He has advised major financial institutions as well as international insurers in 3-digit-million disputes. Within the insurance sector he focuses on management liability claims, warranty & indemnity claims as well as on professional indemnity insurance.
Notable Litigation Engagements
- Representation of several insurers on professional liability insurance coverage of claims for damages arising from allegedly inadequate advice in connection with cum/ex transactions worth EUR 195 million.
- Representation of several insurers on professional liability insurance coverage of claims for damages arising from allegedly inadequate advice in connection with cum/ex transactions worth EUR 800 million.
- Representation of several W&I insurers in arbitration proceedings in connection with the alleged breach of guarantees in an SPA for the acquisition of a sanitary ware manufacturer.
- Representation of a construction company against certain former managers in a management liability case involving several jurisdictions.
- Representation of BASF AG, Wintershall AG and Gazprom in several multi-billion euro law suits against Moncrief Oil International, Inc. regarding the exploitation of the Jushno-Russkoye gas field in Siberia/Russia.
- Representation of UBS AG against a municipal company before the Regional Court of Leipzig regarding claims stemming from financial products which amount to more than EUR 300 million.
- Representation of various Asian companies in connection with the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Bankhaus AG worth EUR 250 million.
- Representation of two banks against HETA Asset Resolution AG worth about EUR 350 million.
- Defence of compensation claims against the subsidiary of a credit institution for bringing about a bankruptcy case worth approximately EUR 580 million.
Notable Engagements as Counsel in Arbitral Proceedings
- Two ICC arbitrations regarding damage claims in connection with the engineering and construction of industrial plants.
- DIS arbitration regarding payment claims in the telecommunications industry.
- Ad hoc arbitration regarding claims for commission in the automotive industry.
- Ad hoc arbitration regarding a hotel lease agreement.
- ICC arbitration regarding damage claims in connection with an IT outsourcing project in the aviation industry.
- ICC arbitration regarding damage claims between two automotive manufacturers.
- CIETAC arbitration regarding warranty claims in connection with the delivery of a production plant.
- Two DIS arbitrations regarding post M&A disputes in the chemical industry.
- DIS arbitration regarding a long term delivery agreement in the solar industry.
- ICC arbitration regarding warranty claims in connection with the construction of an industrial plant.
Notable Engagements as Arbitrator
- DIS arbitration regarding the lease agreement of a car dealer.
- International ad-hoc arbitration regarding claims under a technology transfer agreement.
- International DIS arbitration regarding the termination of a managing director service agreement (as chairman).
- International DIS arbitration regarding compensation claims of a managing director (as chairman).
- International DIS arbitration regarding claims under a product license agreement.
- DIS arbitration regarding a post M&A dispute (as chairman).
Doctor’s degree (PhD in law), University of Mannheim, 2003
Second State Law Examination (bar exam)
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat)
Frankenthal and Frankfurt am Main, 2000-2002
First State Law Examination
Universities of Mannheim and the West of England, 1994-2000
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- German British Lawyers' Association
- German American Lawyers' Association (DAJV)
- German Lawyers' Association (DAV)
- Frankfurt Bar Association
- German Institution of Arbitration
- "Focus on litigation in the financial services sector." – Legal 500 Germany 2019
- "Recommended lawyer" in the area of Dispute Resolution - Disputes in the Financial Services Sector – Legal 500 Germany 2018
- Jan Kraayvanger acts "quickly and with oversight". – Legal 500 Germany 2017
- "Recommended lawyer" in the areas of Dispute Resolution - Arbitration and Commercial Disputes – Legal 500 Germany 2016
- "Jan Kraayvanger made a remarkable development" – JUVE Handbook 2014/2015
- "solution oriented and stringent work" (competitor) – JUVE Handbook 2013/2014