Steven Khong is a Registered Foreign Lawyer at Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. He is a member of the Corporate & Securities practice in Hong Kong and the firm’s Private Equity, Funds & Investment Management group.
Steven focuses his practice on investment fund transactions, including advising institutional sponsors and asset managers on the structuring and formation of various alternative investment funds such as private equity, real estate and venture capital funds, secondary transactions, co-investments and carried interest arrangements. He also advises major institutional investors on investments into private funds.
Steven’s regulatory experience include advising on licensing and ongoing regulatory requirements of operating a fund management business in the Cayman Islands and liaising with the Cayman Islands’ regulators. He also has experience in acting for multinational corporations in commercial transactions and private equity sponsors in other stages of the investment cycle including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and disposals of portfolio assets. In addition, he has experience advising major banks and private equity sponsors on financing transactions involving acquisition of private companies in the Asia Pacific region.
Steven is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Advised Dragon Capital in relation to the establishment and structuring of an open-ended, illiquid co-investment platform to invest in privatizing Vietnamese state-owned enterprises and private placement of shares in listed and unlisted companies in Vietnam.
- Advised the life insurance arm of a leading Chinese bank on its participations in the flagship secondary and co-investment funds managed by PineBridge Investments, structured as part of an acquisition of a diversified private equity secondary portfolio with interests in the industrial, consumer discretionary, financial and information technology sectors. Downstream acquisitions of the portfolios feature a debt offering with a complex security arrangements to secure the debt component.
- Advised a leading PRC private equity sponsor on the structuring and formation of a closed-ended real estate fund focusing on acquisition and redevelopment opportunities in the commercial real estate sectors in major cities in Mainland China.
- Advised a global private equity sponsor on the structuring and formation of a private equity fund focusing on investment opportunities in companies and assets in Vietnam and the Indochina region.
- Advised RRJ Capital (“RRJ”) in connection with its sale of portfolio assets in Luxembourg to offshore vehicles of a Chinese consortium purchaser. Scope of advice includes share disposal and repurchase of RRJ's offshore portfolio companies, structuring of the acquisition financing and security arrangements for completing the transaction.
- Advised HNA Group in connection with its attempted acquisition of offshore asset management businesses of Value Partners Group (“Value Partners”), a leading Asian asset manager listed in Hong Kong, through acquiring the co-founders shares in Value Partners.
- Advised on the formation, structuring/restructuring, liquidation and winding up of open-ended investment platforms in the forms of regulated and unregulated mutual funds in the Cayman Islands and in liaison with asset managers, administrators and other service providers.
- Advised on the establishment of asset management firms and issues on licensing, registration and ongoing regulatory compliance in the Cayman Islands and British Virgin Islands.
- Advised Itochu Corporation on its joint bidding with a Chinese state-owned enterprise of metals and mining businesses of BHP Billiton group in Central Africa, South Africa and Australia.
- Advised a leading global private equity sponsor in connection with its leveraged debt financing for acquiring food catering businesses and a high-end Chinese restaurant chain in China.
The University of Law, London, LPC
Cambridge University, PhD
National University of Singapore, BSc (Hons)First-Class
- England and Wales