Partner Amita Haylock “[I]s well-known in the market for handling IP and TMT-related disputes, is 'excellent'.”The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019)
Amita Haylock is a partner in the IP & TMT group of Mayer Brown in Hong Kong. Amita’s practice focuses on litigating intellectual property, competition and commercial disputes across a broad range of industries. Amita also advises on telecommunications, broadcasting and information technology matters.
Amita advises both plaintiffs and defendants in relation to a broad range of commercial and intellectual property disputes including breach of a variety of commercial contracts and licensing agreements, infringement of intellectual property rights and for breach of confidence. In the litigation context, Amita has represented clients before the Telecommunications (Competition Provisions) Appeal Board, High Court, Court of Appeal, Court of Final Appeal and Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC). Her experience also includes the representation of applicants and respondents in high-profile judicial reviews concerning broadcasting and telecommunication issues.
Amita is a strong advocate of pro-bono work and was the recipient of the Individual Gold Award at the Law Society Pro Bono and Community Service Awards 2018, in recognition of having contributed over 100 hours to pro-bono work, of which a significant portion was spent handling an arbitration case for a well-known charity.
Amita speaks English, Malay and Hindi.
- Advising in three high-profile judicial reviews stemming from decisions issued by the Communications Authority (CA), concerning public complaints made to CA alleging indirect advertisement and product placement during two programmes.
- Advised a media industry association in Hong Kong in relation to set up a new administrative process to achieve site blocking.
- Assisted a client in the entertainment industry in Hong Kong on a data breach.
- Advised a hotel on a data breach affecting its service provider, which resulted in the unauthorised access of hundreds of customers’ personal data.
- Advising an insurance company on the provisions of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinances and drafting related policies.
- Represented government authority responsible for licensing and regulating the broadcasting and telecommunications industries in Appeal No 31 before the Telecommunications (Competition Provisions) Appeal Board, the Court of Appeal and the Court of Final Appeal.
- Advised government authority responsible for licensing and regulating the broadcasting and telecommunications industries in relation to criminal investigations in the telecommunications sector on alleged unfair trade practices under the Trade Description Ordinance.
- Representing a European technology company in various patent litigation matters in Hong Kong in relation to the infringement of their standard essential patents.
- Advising an American technology company on licensing of its standard essential patents in mainland China, with particular focus on Chinese anti-monopoly provisions governing technology and import.
- Advising a well-known tobacco manufacturer on various IP issues including infringement, brand protection, strategy, parallel importation, and Trade Descriptions Ordinance issues.
- Representing an American multinational technology company in a copyright infringement action in Hong Kong against a group of companies based in Hong Kong and mainland China.
- Successfully applying for trade mark revocations on behalf of a cult luxury jewellery brand.
- Advising a tobacco manufacturer on consumer protection issues arising out of import and sale of contraband cigarettes by Hong Kong traders.
- Advising an app-based car hailing company on public law issues.
- Acting for the government authority responsible for licensing and regulating the broadcasting and telecommunications industries in judicial review proceedings brought by a telecommunications licensee.
- Advising an Australian skin care company on trade mark infringement and passing off issues in Hong Kong.
- Advising a IT company on breach of confidential information and copyright infringement by former employees of the company.
- Successfully obtaining trade description orders for a French retailer under the Malaysian Trade Descriptions Act. This is a declaratory order granted by the High Court pronouncing that a trade mark is a false trade description.
University of London, Bachelor of Laws
Second Class Honours (Upper Division)
- Hong Kong
- Vice Chair (IP), Shadow Economy Task Force, The American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Member of the Standing Committee for Commercialisation of IP, The International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Member, Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Member, Intellectual Property Rights Protection Alliance
- Member, Silicon Valley Arbitration & Mediation Center (SVAMC)
- Member, The Hong Kong Institute of Trade Mark Practitioners
- Individual Gold Award – in recognition of over 100 pro-bono hours - Law Society Pro Bono and Community Service Award 2018