Anastasia Kaup is a senior associate in Mayer Brown’s Banking & Finance practice.
Anastasia structures, negotiates and documents complex financing transactions domestically and internationally, at all levels of the capital structure, with specific focuses on fund finance and financing in distressed situations. Anastasia’s experience with transactions during downturns as well as growth cycles distinctively positions her to assist clients with a broad range of financing-related needs at any time.
Anastasia’s fund finance experience covers a wide spectrum of transactions to meet the financing needs of various types of funds at every phase of their existence. She has represented financial institutions, funds and other corporate clients in financing transactions across the private equity, real estate, hedge fund, private credit, and distressed lending spaces. Anastasia also assists with the analysis and negotiation of investor documents with institutional, high net worth and sovereign wealth investors.
Anastasia also has significant experience counseling clients in distressed situations, in bankruptcy as well as out-of-court restructurings, and has represented clients in some of the most complex restructuring cases in the last decade. She has negotiated and documented countless transactions involving multiple creditors, and has substantial knowledge of intercreditor and subordination arrangements and agreements.
Anastasia has been recognized by clients as well as industry publications as a “rising star.” Clients have also praised Anastasia for her “fantastic” work, “insightful opinions,” “level-headed and solution-oriented” approaches to transactions, organization, responsiveness, and going “above and beyond” to close transactions smoothly, efficiently, and on schedule.
Anastasia serves in multiple leadership positions within Mayer Brown’s Chicago office and gives back through involvement in community organizations and her active pro bono practice.
- Represented a private equity fund sponsor in multiple syndicated and bilateral credit facilities to its funds as borrowers including on subscription credit facilities for a $3.2 billion fund and a $2.1 billion fund, and on cross-border, syndicated, multicurrency leveraged financing facilities to its funds’ portfolio companies.
- Represented a hedge fund manager in connection with multiple interrelated fund of funds syndicated credit facilities to its funds as borrowers, totaling $2.2 billion dollars.
- Represented a management company and general partner of a $1.2 billion real estate fund in connection with subscription-backed credit facility and management fee line of credit.
- Represented a lender, administrative agent and collateral agent with respect to three subscription credit facilities issued to related private equity fund borrowers with $750 million in capital commitments, including counseling with respect to insolvent portfolio company and in negotiations of subordination and intercreditor agreement for portfolio company-level debt.
- Represented a lender on a subscription credit facility issued to a real estate fund borrower with $120 million in capital commitments.
- Represented an alternative investment management firm as joint lead arranger and a lender on a syndicated, unitranche revolving and term credit facility to portfolio company borrowers, including in negotiations of agreement among lenders with other senior lender and multiple subordination and intercreditor agreements with junior lenders and equityholders.
- Represented a private credit fund manager as lender and administrative agent on split lien and split collateral term and revolving credit facilities issued to a portfolio company borrower, including with respect to negotiation of subordination and intercreditor agreement and sponsor guarantee agreement.
- Represented an international steel conglomerate as borrower on multiple syndicated, cross-border, multi-currency credit facilities, including with respect to workouts of defaults and negotiation of intercreditor agreements.
- Represented a private credit fund manager and its funds as borrowers in connection with numerous subscription and management fee credit facilities including for “funds of one”, commingled and international funds.
New York City Bar Association CLE Program
University of Utah, Honors BS, cum laude
Beehive Honor Society
University of Michigan Law School, JD, cum laude
Publication Manager, Michigan Journal of Gender & Law
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Co-Chair, Out in Finance Membership Committee
- Representative on the Women in Law Empowerment Forum Young Lawyers Committee
- Co-Chair, Lambda Legal Bon Foster Celebration Planning Committee, 2018 and 2019
- Co-Chair, University of Michigan Law School Class Reunion Committee
- Recipient, Best LGBTQ+ Lawyers Under 40 Award (2020), The National LGBT Bar Association
- Recipient, 2019 Mayer Brown Diversity Champion Award