"truly excellent, with a strong presence and a great real estate practice"Chambers USA
Marvin Katz is a transactional attorney and corporate advisor. He retired from Mayer Brown’s partnership in 2005 and today maintains an active practice with the firm as senior counsel. Marvin focuses on real estate matters, with concentrations in estate planning, probate and corporate issues.
Chambers USA 2017 states that clients acclaim Marvin as "an excellent lawyer." In Chambers USA 2014, sources highlight that Marvin is "very well known and highly respected in the areas of title insurance, real estate development, banking and finance." Chambers USA 2013, praises him for being "very knowledgeable" and Chambers USA 2011 states that "Marvin Katz has long been heralded as a dean of real estate law in Texas. He has particular expertise in estate planning, probate and corporate issues relating to real estate transactions." In 2010, Chambers USA applauds Marvin, saying that he has “forged an excellent reputation in the legal community through decades of experience in the real estate arena.” When ranked in the 2009 edition, Chambers USA states that “Marvin Katz is a vastly experienced and highly respected attorney.” The 2008 edition of Chambers USA noted that Marvin “remains an influential figure within [Mayer Brown] and the market.” Marvin is listed in Chambers USA 2007 as “truly excellent, with a strong presence and a great real estate practice.” The directory’s 2004–2005 edition cited Marvin as “chair of the Houston Planning Commission . . . [Mayer Brown’s] ‘shining light’ in this sector. An ‘excellent negotiator’ . . . ‘the best in the business’ . . . [he] is an authority on land use issues, and his business acumen also allows him to ‘cut through to the underlying economic issues in a deal.’”
Marvin is a speaker at real estate programs sponsored by the Texas State Bar Association, the University of Texas School of Law, Georgetown University School of Law, the Houston Bar Association and the City of Houston.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 1989, Marvin practiced with another Texas law firm (1959–1989). From 1955 to 1957, he served with the United States Air Force. He is the author of numerous articles in Texas Law Review and Southwestern Law Journal. Marvin is fluent in Spanish.
The University of Texas School of Law, LLB, with honorsOrder of the CoifArticle Editor, Texas Law Review
Texas A&M University, BBA
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- City of Houston Parking Commission: Chairman, 2006 to 2010
- City of Houston Planning Commission: Ex-Officio Member, 2005 to date; Chairman, 1991–2005; Vice-Chairman, 1984–1991; member, 1980 to date
- Service on numerous committees and task forces involving City of Houston municipal matters
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Houston Bar Association: Real Estate Section, Council Member
- Houston Real Estate Lawyers’ Council
- Federal Courts Admission Committee for the Southern District of Texas, Past Chairman
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization: Board Certified, Commercial Real Estate Law
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Houston School of Law, "Modern Real Estate Transactions"