Public Tenders and Procurement
- Currently advising China Electric Power Equipment and Technology, Co., Ltd. (CET), a wholly-owned subsidiary of State Grid Corporation of China (SGCC), in its participation in the public auction conducted by CFE Transmission, subsidiary of the Mexican Federal Electricity Commission (CFE), for the award of a services contract for the construction, operation and maintenance of a high voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission line (the first one in Mexico), with an approximate investment of USD 1.7 billion, which will transport clean energy in the states of Oaxaca, Morelos, Estado de México, Veracruz, Puebla and Mexico City in Mexico.
- Also advising CET in its participation in the auction conducted by the Mexican Ministry of Energy (SENER) for the award of a services contract for the construction, operation and maintenance of a HVDC transmission line, with an approximate investment of USD 1.1 billion, for the interconnection between the Interconnected National System (SIN) and the Baja California Electric System (BC).
- Successfully represented the Mexican subsidiary of Petroliam Nasional Berhad (Petronas), the Malaysian oil and gas company, in its participation in Rounds 2.4 and 3.1 conducted by the National Hydrocarbons Commission (CNH), where the company obtained six contractual areas (two individually and four in consortium with Repsol, Ophir, PTTEP and Sierra).
- Advised the Management and Transfer of Assets Service (SAE), decentralized agency of the Federal Government, in the privatization of nine sugar mills expropriated in 2001, which together account for 25% of sugar production nationwide.
- Represented Foster + Partners Limited, one of the most prestigious architectural firms in the World, in the bidding process of the New International Airport of Mexico City, the most important infrastructure project of the past federal administration, which intended to be the largest airport in Latin America.
Project Finance / Public-Private Partnerships
- On a regular basis, assess Siemens and General Electric Company (GE) in the development and finance of energy and infrastructure projects in Mexico (often forming strategic alliances with the national oil and electricity companies).
- Participated as Mexican counsel in the prepayment of a facility for the Tuxpan III & IV Project (a gas generation project originally financed in 2003), which involved the termination and cancellation of the various security interests created for the original financing.
- Advised Red de Carreteras de Occidente, S.A.B. de C.V. and its shareholder Goldman Sachs and Co. in the acquisition of two federal highways in Mexico. The transaction involved the renegotiation of the credit facilities and the negotiation of the amendments to the long-term services agreements.
Mergers & Acquisitions / Antitrust
- Counseled BlackRock, Inc. in the acquisition of Infraestructura Institucional (I2), a leading independently managed firm that invests across a broad range of large infrastructure projects in Mexico. The transaction required several regulatory approvals, including antitrust clearance.
- Participated in the international team that counseled the Chinese manufacturer Qingdao Haier Co. Ltd. in USD 5.4 billion acquisition of GE’s Appliance Business. The transaction created a global leader in the appliance industry, and as such, it involved multijurisdictional antitrust clearance.
- Counseled Nestlé Mexico, S.A. de C.V. in the USD 80 million sale of its ice cream business in Mexico to Grupo Herdez, S.A.B. de C.V., a publicly traded company in the Mexican Stock Exchange and one of Mexico’s food manufacturing and distribution leaders.
- Advised Grupo Coppel, S.A. de C.V., a Mexican retail corporation that is also engaged in the provision of financial services throughout Mexico, in the USD 50 million acquisition of the conglomerate of companies related to the Viana brand, a local retailer in Mexico City and certain surrounding states.
- Represented Blockbuster, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation, in connection with the sale of its subsidiary in Mexico, Blockbuster de México, S.A. de C.V., to certain affiliates of the Mexican conglomerate Grupo Salinas.
- Advised Pétroleos Mexicanos (PEMEX), the Mexican state-owned petroleum company, in connection with the sale of its ordinary shares of Repsol, S.A., one of the largest energy companies in Spain. This was a landmark transaction due to the size of the block sold (7.86 % of Repsol, S.A.).
- Advised The Boeing Company in its negotiations and execution with the Mexican Ministry of National Defense of the purchase and sale agreement of the new presidential aircraft.
- Represented Coca-Cola Femsa, S.A.B. de C.V. (KOF), the largest franchise bottler of Coca-Cola trademark beverages in the World, in its acquisition of the bottling divisions of Corporativo Grupo Tampico, S.A. de C.V. and Fomento Financiero Querétaro, S.A. de C.V.
Structured Finance / Capital Markets
- Represented the State of Nuevo León in its record-breaking public debt restructuring of USD 2.8 billion.
- Participated in the team that advised BlackRock, Inc. in the regulatory process required for the exchange of the then outstanding CPOs (cerficados de particpiación ordinaria) for Cebures (cerficados bursátiles) representing Naftrac, one of the most liquid ETFs in the Mexican securities’ market.
- Counseled the CFE, Mexico’s government electric utility, in the issuance of its debt certificates under its USD 7.692 billion program registered in Mexico and listed in the Mexican Stock Exchange.
Banking / Regulatory
- Participated in the team that on an on-going basis advised foreign financial institutions in Mexico, including Citigroup, Inc., Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation, Deutsche Bank AG, Commerzbank AG, Société Générale, Crédit Agricole and BNP Paribas.
- Regular counsel to Kansas City Southern de México, S.A. de C.V., one of two largest railroad companies in Mexico, in obtaining permits and other authorizations from the federal and state governments.
Escuela Libre de Derecho, Diploma, Energy Law
Stanford Law School, Laws Master in Corporate Governance & Practice
Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, JD, with honors
Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po), Exchange student