Christian Higham is a senior associate in the Corporate & Securities practice of the London office. He undertakes a broad range of domestic and cross-border corporate transactional work, with a focus on transactions in the Funds & Investment Management and Insurance industries. Christian's experience in the Funds & Investment Management industry includes fund formations, joint ventures, co-investments, fund investments and secondary transactions. Christian's experience in the Insurance industry includes share and asset acquisitions and disposals, insurance linked securities (ILS) and other reinsurance transactions, run-off transactions and warranty and indemnity insurance. He also advises clients on company law and corporate governance matters.
Christian joined Mayer Brown in 2011 as a trainee, and has been on secondment to the Hong Kong office for six months and Zurich Insurance Company for nine months.
Areas of Focus
Private mergers and acquisitions
- Advised The Hartford on the sales of the Navigators continental Europe insurance business to Castel, Zurich, Federale and Premia.
- Advised Mitie on the sale of its document management business to Swiss Post Solutions.
- Advised The Hanover on the $950 million sale of Chaucer International Holdings, the Lloyd’s international speciality insurance business, to China Re.
- Advised Sword Soft on its €120 million sale of APAK Group to Sopra Banking Software.
- Advised Brookfield Property Partners on its €2.4 billion sale of the Gazeley logistics business to Global Logistic Properties.
- Advised Assured Guaranty, the world’s leading financial guaranty insurer, on its US$347 million acquisition of MBIA UK Insurance, the European operating subsidiary of MBIA Corp.
- Advised Aspen Risk Management on its acquisition of the UK property and casualty insurance business of Liberty Specialty Markets.
- Advised Klesch Refining on its contract to buy the Milford Haven oil refinery in Wales from Murco Petroleum.
- Advised Aon UK on the sale of its shipping and offshore financial institution insurance intermediation business to BMS Group.
- Advised Brookfield Property Partners on its acquisition of the Gazeley logistics business from Economic Zones World, part of Dubai World.
- Advised Principal Global Investors on its acquisition of a majority interest in Liongate Capital Management.
- Advised a significant number of investors on investments and co-investments in and secondary transactions in relation to funds established in Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, England and Wales, Guernsey, Ireland, Jersey, Luxembourg and the United States.
- Advised a New York life insurer on the formation of an investment platform focusing on investments in European commercial real estate debt.
- Advised Bridge Development Partners on the formation of an investment structure with Banner Oak, the Teacher Retirement System of Texas and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board that focuses on investments in UK logistics real estate.
- Advised Genesis Capital on the closing of Genesis Private Equity Fund IV, a Luxembourg-based fund that focuses on investments in small to medium-sized companies in Central Europe.
- Advised Leadenhall Capital Partners on the closing of Leadenhall Life Insurance Linked Investments Fund IV, a Cayman Islands-based fund that focuses on investments linked to the economic performance of life and health insurance related businesses.
- Advised Rockpool Capital on the formation of Rockpool UK Real Estate Income 1, a segregated portfolio of Rockpool Capital Opportunities Fund that focuses on real estate investments in the UK.
- Advised Unilever Ventures on the formation of private equity/venture capital funds focusing on investments in the beauty and wellness, commerce services and technologies, business-to-business and enterprise technologies sectors.
- Advised the Electricity Supply Pension Scheme on the £1.47 billion merger of its property portfolio with CBRE UK Property Fund.
- Advised B&B Investment Partners on the formation of a private equity/venture capital fund focusing on investments in health, beauty, personal care, wellness and nutrition.
- Advised Telemos Capital on the formation of a private equity fund focusing on investments in consumer goods and services, business services and healthcare services.
- Advised EU Lotto on its Fortuna jackpot protection insurance and reinsurance policies.
- Advised GC Securities on SCOR SE’s Atlas Capital series.
- Advised Brit on its Sussex Capital series and Versutus sidecar.
- Advised Bayview Asset Management on its Sierra series.
- Advised GC Securities on the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the National Flood Insurance Program’s FloodSmart series.
- Advised Zurich Insurance Company on the global outsourcing of travel management services to Egencia.
- Advised Refinitiv US on the global outsourcing of corporate shared services to Tata Consultancy Services.
- Advised Refinitiv US on the global outsourcing of data centre and applications services to Tata Consultancy Services.
- Advised Refinitiv on the global outsourcing of applications development and maintenance services to EPAM Systems.
- Advised Unilever on the outsourcing of business process services to Genpact UK in North America, Australia and New Zealand.
- Advised The Kraft Heinz Company on the outsourcing of supply chain management services to Genpact International in North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and the related disposal of intellectual property assets.
- Advised The Kraft Heinz Company on the outsourcing of finance and accounting business process services to Genpact International in Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Russia, India, Middle East and Africa.
- Advised Zurich Insurance Company on the US$460 million outsourcing of network and telecommunications services to British Telecommunications in North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific.
Nottingham Law School, LLB (Hons)
Kaplan Law School, Legal Practice Course
BPP University Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law
University of Durham, BA (Hons)
- England and Wales
- Listed as a key lawyer for Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory, Legal 500 2022.
- Recommended - Commercial Contracts (Outsourcing), Legal 500 2018.