“Hickin is receptive to client input [and] opinions yet able to easily explain the legal elements and processes of a case. [He is] also very responsive and accessible.”Benchmark Asia Pacific (2014)
John has been a partner of Mayer Brown since 2005. He has extensive experience of dispute resolution (including arbitration and mediation) in banking and commercial matters in Hong Kong. He advises banks and corporates on regulatory matters including Competition Commission and SFC investigations and ICAC investigations into corporate bribery offences. He also has experience of appearing before domestic tribunals and of handling administrative law remedies, including judicial review. John has been named a dispute resolution star by Benchmark Asia Pacific (2018).
John is also co-head of the Competition Law group in Asia, which is consistently ranked by various directories as one of the top tier international practice teams for China/Hong Kong antitrust. He has advised a large number of clients regarding compliance activities and investigations following the introduction of the laws in China (2008) and Hong Kong (2015). Chambers Asia, Asia Pacific Legal 500 and IFLR1000 (2018) have recognised John as a leading individual in this practice area in their 2018 rankings for China/Hong Kong Antitrust and Competition lawyers.
- Advised a Hong Kong based bank and Jersey Trustee regarding claims for mis-selling and breach of trust resulting in a four week hearing in High Court of Hong Kong in 2014, subsequent Court of Appeal and Court of Final Appeal hearings in 2019.
- Advised on significant SFC investigations into insider dealing and other matters.
- Advised a major international bank based in Hong Kong on potential claims arising from swaps terminated early by virtue of a re-financing of a commercial mortgage-backed securitisation. This matter involved a detailed analysis of complex documentation and negotiation with a number of parties affected by the re-financing. The dispute was resolved in a positive way for our client.
- Advises on insolvency and re-structuring work in Hong Kong, including various matters arising out of the BCCHK liquidation and a number of large-scale cases arising from the Asian financial crisis, including the Peregrine liquidation.
- Advised the court-appointed liquidators of a collapsed securities company following petition by the SFC in relation to a wide range of issues.
- Advised the managers appointed by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority on running the affairs of a Deposit Taking Company following the issue of a notice by the US Treasury Department under the Patriot Act.
- Advised the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants on its investigation process, practice review programme, and a large number of disciplinary cases initiated by it against individual CPAs and firms of accountants.
The University of Newcastle, BA
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Member, British Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Chairman, British Chamber of Commerce in Hanoi (2002-2004)
- Leading Individual - Competition/Antitrust, China (International Firms) – Chambers Global (2013-2019)
- Leading Individual - Competition/Antitrust, China (International Firms) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012-2019)
- Leading Individual - Antitrust & Competition (Hong Kong) – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018, 2022)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Competition (Hong Kong) – IFLR1000 (2018-2022)
- Litigation Star - Commercial and Transactions, Hong Kong - Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific (2020, 2021)
- Dispute Resolution Star - Commercial and Transactions, Hong Kong - Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific (2019)
- Dispute Resolution Star - Commercial and Transactions (International Firms), Hong Kong - Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific (2018)
- Leading Lawyer - Competition (Hong Kong) – IFLR1000 (2013-2017)
- Local Disputes Star (Hong Kong) - General Commercial, Regulatory Investigations, White Collar Crime - Benchmark Asia Pacific (2014)
- "at the forefront of the new law" - IFLR1000 (2013)
- "esteemed litigator" - The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013)
- Leading Practitioner: China (Competition and Antitrust: Greater China International Firms) - Expert Guides (2012)