David Heales is an associate in Mayer Brown's New York office and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice. David focuses on corporate and commercial transactions in the insurance industry and general insurance regulatory matters.
David regularly acts in the acquisition and disposition of insurance entities and blocks of insurance business, including through reinsurance. He also has extensive experience assisting insurtech companies, traditional carriers and non-insurance entities in complex program management, managing general agent and distribution arrangements. Additionally, David advises clients on a very wide range of insurance regulatory matters, such as redomestications, licensing matters involving insurance companies and producers, holding company act filings, and investment law considerations.
Since 2019, David has been recognized as a “Rising Star” in non-contentious insurance matters by The Legal 500 US.
David has previously been a secondee to iptiQ Americas, part of Swiss Re.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, he was an associate with a large, international law firm in New York, focusing on insurance transactions and regulation.
Insurance Mergers and Acquisitions
- Nestlé in its sale of Gerber Life Insurance Company to Western & Southern for $1.55 billion.
- The Hartford in its acquisition of the Navigators Group for $2.1 billion.
- The Hartford in its acquisition of the U.S. group life and disability business of Aetna for $1.45 billion.
- A Bermuda-based insurance group in its $3.4 billion acquisition of a mortgage insurance business.
- Various acquisitions and dispositions of insurance producers, third-party administrators and managing general agents, including:
- MetLife in its acquisition of PetFirst Pet Insurance.
- CNO in its acquisition of Web Benefit Design Corporation.
Insurance Joint Ventures, Insurtech and Commercial Insurance Arrangements
- General Motors in the launch of OnStar Insurance Services, an insurance platform leveraging the technology and telematics data of, its subsidiary, OnStar, including in the negotiating of the related co-development and distribution arrangements with Homesite Group.
- Assicurazioni Generali in relation to a major joint venture partnership with Nationwide to promote, distribute and administer insurance solutions for multi-national property and casualty exposures on behalf of both organizations.
- Numerous insurtech ventures and sharing economy companies, across all business lines, with respect to an extensive range program management and product distribution matters, including:
- Ladder, a digital life insurance provider, with respect to the negotiation of each of its key commercial carrier and reinsurer partnerships.
- Policygenius, the leading online insurance marketplace, with respect to a wide range of insurance regulatory and insurance distribution and marketing matters.
- Arceo.ai, a cyber-analytics firm, in the launch of its cybersecurity program manager, Resilience, and including the negotiation of its program management arrangements with Intact Insurance Specialty Solutions.
- Next Insurance, a small business insurance provider, in various commercial arrangements, including with respect to marketing and distribution issues.
- High Definition Vehicle Insurance, a next-generation commercial auto insurance business, in each of its key commercial agreements and in the development of its template distribution agreements.
- Huckleberry, a small business insurance provider, with respect to its key commercial platform agreements and various insurance regulatory matters.
- Bestow, a digital life insurance provider and insurance services company, in various insurance regulatory and commercial issues, including with respect to a major insurance distribution and technology partnership.
- Whitespace, a UK-based reinsurance trading technology platform, in its launch in the United States and the development of its US commercial arrangements.
- iptiQ Americas (part of Swiss Re) in the launch of a number of new insurance products from concept and design to development and deployment.
- Advising various strategic investors and insurance carriers in the establishment of fronting insurance platforms, including through the formation and/or acquisition of various of portfolio carriers.
- The Doctors Company in various commercial insurance distribution arrangements relating to its acquisition of the Hospital Insurance Company and its third-party administrator, FOJP Service Corporation.
- Insurance carriers, intermediaries and reinsurers on regulatory compliance, governance, licensing, financial and market conduct examination, Insurance Holding Company Act. privacy and data securities laws and current and prospective digital distribution matters.
- Global Atlantic in the reinsurance of $9 billion of fixed annuities and other spread-based reserves of Talcott Resolution, The Hartford’s run-off life and annuity businesses.
- Monument Re its acquisition of a run-off portfolio of linked and traditional life insurance business from MetLife Europe initially through reinsurance to Monument Re followed, upon receipt of court approvals, by a portfolio transfer.
Oxford University, MA
- New York
- England and Wales
- Named in The Legal 500 US – Insurance: Non-Contentious – as a “Rising Star” (2019, 2020)