"Susanne Harris is recommended for cross-border financial services sector investigations."The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)
Susanne Harris is a partner in the Hong Kong office of Mayer Brown’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. Susanne is experienced in commercial disputes and investigations, with a focus on cross-border, financial regulatory and compliance investigations. She has conducted internal investigations for financial institutions and acted for financial services clients in SFC, HKMA and other regulatory investigations. Susanne has advised on a range of legal, regulatory and reputational issues for banks with a financial crime risks including money laundering and sanctions.
As a litigator, Susanne has advised on disputes concerning banking, tax, shareholder disputes, directors' duties and insolvency related matters. She has worked for clients from a variety of industry sectors including finance, property, professional services, transportation and retail.
Susanne’s experience is recognised by Legal 500 Asia Pacific. She is recommended for cross-border financial services sector investigations (2018) and clients have praised her for being 'very thorough' and 'responsive' (2014). In 2018, Susanne was awarded “Government Enforcement/Investigations Lawyer of the Year” by the Asia Legal Awards. Who’s Who Legal: Investigations (2019) named Susanne as one of the world’s leading practitioners in this field.
Susanne is an accredited mediator and Co-Chair of the Firm’s Women’s Network in Asia.
- Advised a global financial institution on issues relating to client exits and filing of suspicious activity reports to local enforcement authorities.
- Acted as global legal lead at a financial institution in respect of its corporate compliance monitor’s investigations in multiple jurisdictions.
- Conducted an independent investigation of the retail banking arm of a global bank following anonymous allegations of inappropriate conduct including alleged mis-selling of financial products.
- Represented a global financial institution in complex High Court proceedings involving alleged fraudulent conduct concerning the trading of commodities in a series of multi-million US dollar repurchase agreements.
- Advised a US bank in respect of a potential dispute arising from its role as global custodian, including its advisory obligations and duties owed pursuant to non-standard provisions of a global custody agreement.
- Acted for funds, listed companies and their directors in SFC investigations with respect to licensing issues and insider dealing allegations.
- Advised financial institutions on and appeared before the Hong Kong Court of First Instance in interlocutory injunction applications arising out of proceedings relating to the Organized and Serious Crimes Ordinance (Cap. 455).
- Acted for the liquidators of a Hong Kong listed company and its subsidiaries in multiple High Court proceedings against directors and related entities for breach of trust and duties and related tracing claims arising out of misappropriation of company funds.
- Advised funds and financial institutions on obtaining judgments and enforcing against foreign States, pre and post the Congo Case.
- Acted against a Dutch subsidiary of a US listed company in an international arbitration arising from a dispute with respect to the sale and purchase of shares in a Korean private company.
- Advised multinational companies on objections/appeals to assessments on profits tax, allowable deductions and tax avoidance provisions, including a leading property company on the preparation of its case to the IRD in respect of assessments spanning over a decade relating to complex financing arrangement with off-shore elements.
- Advised the Hong Kong Deposit Protection Board on various issues concerning the Deposit Protection Scheme Ordinance (Cap. 581).
- Attended as mediation advocate at commercial mediations held as part or independent of related Hong Kong civil proceedings, and advised clients on preparation and strategy for mediations generally.
The University of Adelaide, LLB, with Honours
The University of Adelaide, BA
- Hong Kong
- Australia, Victoria
- Australia, South Australia
- High Court of Australia
- Member, Taxation Faculty, Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Approved Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association
- Accredited Mediator, Panel of the Law Society of Hong Kong
- Accredited Mediator, Panel of Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Contributing author of Company Law in Hong Kong: Insolvency
- Highly Regarded Lawyer – Financial Services Regulatory, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2020)
- Hong Kong Future Leaders – Partners – Who’s Who Legal: Investigations (2019)
- Winner - Government Enforcement/Investigations Lawyer of the Year – Asia Legal Awards (2018)
- Recommended lawyer in Regulatory, for cross-border financial services sector investigations – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)
- Band 4 - Regulatory: Anti-Corruption and Compliance – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)
- Finalist Lawyer of Compliance and Regulatory – Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Women in Business Law Awards (2017)
- Finalist Young Lawyer of the Year – ALB SE Asia Law Awards (2017)
- Finalist Compliance/Investigations Lawyer of the Year – Asian Lawyer Annual Emerging Markets Awards (2016)
- Finalist Young Lawyer of the Year – ALB Hong Kong Law Awards (2016)
- Recommended lawyer in Litigation – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014)