"Susanne Harris is recommended for cross-border financial services sector investigations."The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)
Susanne Harris is a partner in the Hong Kong office of Mayer Brown’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. Susanne is experienced in commercial disputes and investigations, with a focus on cross-border, financial regulatory and compliance investigations. She has conducted internal investigations for financial institutions and advised on a range of legal, regulatory and reputational issues for banks from cross-border data sharing to financial crime risks including money laundering and sanctions. Susanne has deep institutional knowledge as a result of her fulfillment of a regional in-house role at a global financial institution. In that role, Susanne advised on issues arising from investigations conducted in multiple jurisdictions in Asia by the bank’s independent corporate compliance monitor appointed pursuant to a deferred prosecution and related agreements.
As a litigator, Susanne has advised on disputes including banking, tax, directors' duties and insolvency related matters. She has worked for clients from a variety of industry sectors including finance, property, professional services, transportation and retail.
Susanne’s experience is recognised by Legal 500 Asia Pacific. She is recommended for cross-border financial services sector investigations (2018) and clients have praised her for being 'very thorough' and 'responsive' (2014). In 2018, Susanne was awarded “Government Enforcement/Investigations Lawyer of the Year” by the Asia Legal Awards.
Susanne is an accredited mediator and a founding committee member of the Firm’s “In the Know”, a forum for professional women.
- Advised a global financial institution on issues relating to client exits and filing of suspicious activity reports to local enforcement authorities.
- Acted as regional legal lead at a global bank in respect of its corporate compliance monitor’s investigations in multiple jurisdictions throughout Asia Pacific.
- Conducted an independent investigation of the retail banking arm of a global bank following anonymous allegations of inappropriate conduct including alleged mis-selling of financial products.
- Represented a global financial institution in complex High Court proceedings involving alleged fraudulent conduct concerning the trading of commodities in a series of multi-million US dollar repurchase agreements.
- Advised a US bank in respect of a potential dispute arising from its role as global custodian, including its advisory obligations and duties owed pursuant to non-standard provisions of a global custody agreement.
- Acted for the liquidators of a Hong Kong listed company and its subsidiaries in multiple High Court proceedings against directors and related entities for breach of trust and duties and related tracing claims arising out of misappropriation of company funds.
- Advised funds and financial institutions on obtaining judgments and enforcing against foreign States, pre and post the Congo Case.
- Acted against a Dutch subsidiary of a US listed company in an international arbitration arising from a dispute with respect to the sale and purchase of shares in a Korean private company.
- Advised multinational companies on objections/appeals to assessments on profits tax, allowable deductions and tax avoidance provisions, including a leading property company on the preparation of its case to the IRD with respect to objections raised in respect of assessments spanning over a decade relating to complex financing arrangement with off-shore elements.
- Advised the Hong Kong Deposit Protection Board on various issues concerning the Deposit Protection Scheme Ordinance (Cap. 581).
- Attended as mediation advocate at commercial mediations held as part or independent of related Hong Kong civil proceedings, and advised clients on preparation and strategy for mediations generally.
- Acted for funds, listed companies and their directors in SFC investigations with respect to licensing issues and insider dealing allegations.
- Advised financial institutions on and appeared before the Hong Kong Court of First Instance in interlocutory injunction applications arising out of proceedings relating to the Organized and Serious Crimes Ordinance (Cap. 455).
The University of Adelaide, LLB, with Honours
The University of Adelaide, BA
- Hong Kong
- Australia, Victoria
- Australia, South Australia
- High Court of Australia
- Member, Taxation Faculty, Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Approved Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association
- Accredited Mediator, Panel of the Law Society of Hong Kong
- Accredited Mediator, Panel of Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Contributing author of Company Law in Hong Kong: Insolvency
- Winner - Government Enforcement/Investigations Lawyer of the Year – Asia Legal Awards (2018)
- Recommended lawyer in Regulatory, for cross-border financial services sector investigations – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)
- Band 4 - Regulatory: Anti-Corruption and Compliance – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)
- Finalist Lawyer of Compliance and Regulatory – Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Women in Business Law Awards (2017)
- Finalist Young Lawyer of the Year – ALB SE Asia Law Awards (2017)
- Finalist Compliance/Investigations Lawyer of the Year – Asian Lawyer Annual Emerging Markets Awards (2016)
- Finalist Young Lawyer of the Year – ALB Hong Kong Law Awards (2016)
- Recommended lawyer in Litigation – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014)